DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 10-01-2012, 09:16 PM
MaryO's Avatar
MaryO MaryO is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,943
Default Re: Girl drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZslim View Post
Sadly, but the fact there was even the title "girl drummer" shows how backwards we are about the whole thing.

Sort of off topic, but I have wondered why there aren't more women musicians. I would think about half would be a reasonable number.

Is there still too much good 'ol boy and or harassement going on? Maybe you women out there can shed some light on this?
Because most women just aren't as brave, fabulous and tenacious as Anon and myself :)
__________________
I am deluded enough to think I can bring something to the table - Huey Lewis.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-01-2012, 09:18 PM
SkaaDee SkaaDee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 69
Default Re: Girl drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Let's face it, a lot of women aren't drummers because it's popularly thought to be a masculine role.

I guess so.
Too bad, they're missing out on a fantastic hobby.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-01-2012, 10:07 PM
bobacwrd's Avatar
bobacwrd bobacwrd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 178
Default Re: Girl drummers

[QUOTE= wearing a mankini whilst impaled on a throne base


Now there's a visual....mankini. I've never heard that term but you better believe I'm going to use it someday when it appropriately fits...LOL
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,056
Default Re: Girl drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Cindy Blackman and Hilary Jones are another two. I was about to mention Meg and Karen Carpenter, but if I'm digging that far back then it just highlights the issue. Let's face it, a lot of women aren't drummers because it's popularly thought to be a masculine role.
I never understood that "feminine" or "masculine" role of drumming. Playing has more to do with coordination than strength. Humans are silly.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Otto Otto is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,121
Default Re: Girl drummers

Gender is irrelevant to art...

...but have you noticed that in the pantheon of mind-bendingly good drummers...they are all male?

Sure..there are some good drummers who happen to be female...but none I would mention in the top 20.

Social acceptability differences?...Muscle Mass/aggression(eg Testosterone) differences?...Pure chance? What combination is determining this(beyond my own definition of mind-bendingly good drummer)
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 10-02-2012, 01:48 AM
Jookbox's Avatar
Jookbox Jookbox is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: California
Posts: 365
Default Re: Girl drummers

I think the bigger issue here are drummers who use things other than their skill. There are plenty of guys on youtube who are glammed out wearing sunglasses indoors, with expensive drums, high quality audio/video production, and are just mediocre at best. Meanwhile they have tons of views. I don't think anyone should get upset about it. I think any working musician wants to put themselves out there and if something works, you can't really fault them.

With that said, Cindy Blackman is one of my all time favorite drummers, and it had nothing to do with her gender.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 10-02-2012, 03:51 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,738
Default Re: Girl drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
Because most women just aren't as brave, fabulous and tenacious as Anon and myself :)
Exactly :)

The worst thing that can happen is you are the only one available and conscripted to help unload the W bins. That one ended up a whisker away from disaster. Just thinking about it makes me shudder!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I never understood that "feminine" or "masculine" role of drumming. Playing has more to do with coordination than strength. Humans are silly.
Guys tend to be better with gross motor coordination. To be totally un PC, I think blacks are more coordinated than whites in the same way as men are more coordinated than women - tons of overlap, of course, but the trend is clear to me. No biggie IMO - in all these things it's a matter of swings and roundabouts, which is what being different means (as opposed to better or worse).

But in the end it's the look of the thing. Drummers strike blows - guy territory. Ironically, unless you're a basher, drums are gentler on hands and fingers than other instruments. I found that out during my brief keyboard stint. It's a big reason why I returned to nice, gentle, kind drums - the only pain drums give me is emotional :)

Singing is hard on the vocal cords. Wind instruments are exhausting and it's not much fun for them when they catch a cold before a gig. So my message to parents is ... Encourage your your daughter to take up drums! It's gentle and provides good toning, while leaving hands soft and ladylike :)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Gender is irrelevant to art...

...but have you noticed that in the pantheon of mind-bendingly good drummers...they are all male?

Sure..there are some good drummers who happen to be female...but none I would mention in the top 20.

Social acceptability differences?...Muscle Mass/aggression(eg Testosterone) differences?...Pure chance? What combination is determining this(beyond my own definition of mind-bendingly good drummer)
Agree that gender is not an issue in most high art, but it sure matters in popular music - I don't see a lot of guys out there covering Dusty Springfield tunes or women covering NIN's Closer to God.

I suspect women aren't big in drumming in the same way as Luxembourg (pop 500,000) isn't big in the Olympics. In some genres I expect muscle twitch and strength come into play. When I played hard rock all the drummers I knew were guys and they had power that I couldn't match (we were all self taught), but musicians in my bands always liked what I did because I played with them rather than over the top of them.

For whatever reason - probably the genteelness and conservatism of the thing - more women play instruments used in classical music.

While most drumming is gender-neutral, the drums are a brilliant vehicle for alpha male displays of athletic power and/or skill ... much more so than other instruments because of the scale of movements. It excites something in our hind brains. So that gets the most attention. I enjoy the showy stuff for a while, but I need more expressiveness or imagination to stay interested, but I'm a weirdo - and hence a woman drummer :)

// end long winded hypotheses :)
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 10-02-2012, 11:08 AM
bigiainw's Avatar
bigiainw bigiainw is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 952
Default Re: Girl drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
Because most women just aren't as brave, fabulous and tenacious as Anon and myself :)
Many a true word said in jest Mary. I think, sadly, it's much more about gender conditioning and gender specific roles than any lack of talent or ability. It is, unfortuately, in this day and age still much more accepted that boys/men play drums than girls/women. It's also much easier to be a Plug ugly guy playing drums- how many women who don't conform to the media stereotype of what a woman should look like are out there playing. I haven't seen many, if I've even seen any. So not only do you have to play well, you probably have to be "hot" too, to get the kind of exposure that Corbus or others of his ilk do.

It's just as well I'm not a girl, or I'd be stuffed!
__________________
www.theshineonline.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 10-02-2012, 11:24 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,124
Default Re: Girl drummers

[quote=bobacwrd;1052382][quote= wearing a mankini whilst impaled on a throne base


Now there's a visual....mankini. I've never heard that term but you better believe I'm going to use it someday when it appropriately fits...LOL[/QUOTE]


Dreadful things :( Not even guys with adonis physiques look good in them.

Is this Steve Smith?
Attached Images
 
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 10-03-2012, 02:11 AM
Caz's Avatar
Caz Caz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: London
Posts: 209
Default Re: Girl drummers

haha... really? I've put a couple of vids on youtube and they've hardly gone viral. We don't get any special treatment I'm afraid :) most girl drummers are out there just gigging and practicing like everyone else.
__________________
www.carolinescottmusic.com
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 10-03-2012, 02:14 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,738
Default Re: Girl drummers

Yes, but you play jazz, Caz (with pizzazz :)
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 10-03-2012, 05:29 AM
RockNGrohl's Avatar
RockNGrohl RockNGrohl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 160
Default Re: Girl drummers

The way I see it is these female youtube drummers are using their gender as novelty and getting hits based on their looks in a way. It may be working for them but also selling themselves short. I wonder why drummers like Meytal for example don't play in a great band or start one, record their own solos and compose their own musical stuff, when they are obviously talented enough. Why does it has to be covers? All they are doing is copying performances. They are showing great skill, yeah, but not using their own creativity. Where's the art and personality? And when they do lessons it seems like such rudimentary stuff you can get elsewhere. Why not show us something new? or unique? I'd be less inclined to say Meytal is playing the gender card if it didn't feel like she was getting away with average stuff, when she could be doing more. I hate seeing a female coast along and not play up their potential.

Look at Orianthi on guitar. She's powerhouse! She never gives 50% when she could probably get away with it theses days. She gives 110% and got the MJ gig to prove it! If gender is not an issue, why do so many female drummers get treated differently for mediocre talent when we as males would be ignored for being average? Good should be good, average should be average, and not have looks or gender be a factor.
__________________
"You can never have too many snare drums! At least they're not crack!" - Matt Chamberlain
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 10-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,738
Default Re: Girl drummers

Yep RocknGrohl, a few utilise visuals to broaden their appeal. That's unheard of in music, eh? ;-) Who was last to completely disregard visuals? The old jazzers in the 50s and 60s? (with some notable exceptions).

Music is mostly an audio-visual experience - from face and body paint to opera masks to the big swing bands to sexy crooners to the hippie colour explosion to major rock productions to punk chic to quiffs with more gel than hair and steampunk outfits to the grunge look to dance and laser extravaganzas ... at home you had album cover art and music videos ... dance has been a common theme throughout ... usually the singers and the dancers are the attraction and the musos provide support.

Talk of music videos brings us back to Meytal. Her videos show her playing her instrument ... you don't see that too much in band video clips. She gets to stay at home and relax rather than touring. Not my thing - I find drum covers as boring as batsheet - but I think her head's screwed on the right way.
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 10-04-2012, 12:17 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,124
Default Re: Girl drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
haha... really? I've put a couple of vids on youtube and they've hardly gone viral. We don't get any special treatment I'm afraid :) most girl drummers are out there just gigging and practicing like everyone else.
Links please caz :)

BTW, are you coming to the London drum show next weekend? Call by if you are.
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 10-04-2012, 02:37 PM
toddmc's Avatar
toddmc toddmc is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Gold Coast, Australia
Posts: 1,076
Default Re: Girl drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
haha... really? I've put a couple of vids on youtube and they've hardly gone viral. We don't get any special treatment I'm afraid :) most girl drummers are out there just gigging and practicing like everyone else.
Just curious but did you actually say anything along the lines of "girl drummer" in the video title?
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Longfuse Longfuse is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 195
Default Re: Girl drummers

Anyone, regardless of sex, who is encouraged to learn drums (especially from an early age) will end up with good rhythmic skills. In a lot of Islamic countries, many women were amateur drummers. That's not so much the case now, because modernisation has meant a lot of traditions are dying out, but many 'ordinary' women could be quite accomplished frame-drummers, tabla players etc.

My point? When there's a culture that encourages musicianship among women, then you end up with outstanding women musicians. And for that reason I'm in favour of any vids that promote women drummers. They can be role models, getting away from the typical, male drummer stereotype (I'm sure not all young women want to learn from pot-bellied bald guys with a wardrobe that hasn't rung the changes since 1988).

Last edited by Longfuse; 10-04-2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 10-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Odd-Arne Oseberg's Avatar
Odd-Arne Oseberg Odd-Arne Oseberg is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sykkylven, Møre og Romsdal, Norway
Posts: 724
Default Re: Girl drummers

They're just drummers. How the rest of the world reacts can't be blamed on them.

Something that''s rarer will always get more attention, just because it's not the norm.

Foreign musicians get a bitmore attention in my country than the average Norwegian musician. When the double bass craze caught on about 10 years ago, the people who jumped on it got more attrention. It's just how things work especially in the entertainment business.

Now if a girl is obviously trying to play that card that's her choice. But, it would be hypocritical to not admit that men do the exact same thing.

When I went to the conservatory there was only two players that had a deep enough groove and song sensibility that I truly enjoyed playing with them. One was male and the other a female. She was the only girl drummer in that school and to my knowledge the only one ever.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's only 1 female drummer pr.1000 male drummers. That in itself makes it unique.

I'm to old to get excited by half naked children, so as with all musicians I have only one concern. Can they play? All that other stuff is for the tabloids to ponder.
__________________
Bring back the Zildjian Colaiuta stick!
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 10-04-2012, 10:03 PM
toddbishop toddbishop is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,436
Default Re: Girl drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNGrohl View Post
The way I see it is these female youtube drummers are using their gender as novelty and getting hits based on their looks in a way. It may be working for them but also selling themselves short. I wonder why drummers like Meytal for example don't play in a great band or start one, record their own solos and compose their own musical stuff, when they are obviously talented enough. Why does it has to be covers? All they are doing is copying performances. They are showing great skill, yeah, but not using their own creativity. Where's the art and personality? And when they do lessons it seems like such rudimentary stuff you can get elsewhere. Why not show us something new? or unique? I'd be less inclined to say Meytal is playing the gender card if it didn't feel like she was getting away with average stuff, when she could be doing more. I hate seeing a female coast along and not play up their potential.
This applies to basically everyone doing that kind of thing, male or female. Why are you directing your criticism/concern only at women?

Quote:
...why do so many female drummers get treated differently for mediocre talent when we as males would be ignored for being average?
Because that's life. Mediocre players get ahead all the time for non-musical reasons. I'm aware of no special rule that says that doesn't apply to women.
__________________
Visit: Cruise Ship Drummer! - a drumming blog
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 10-04-2012, 10:54 PM
AZslim's Avatar
AZslim AZslim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 224
Default Re: Girl drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
Because most women just aren't as brave, fabulous and tenacious as Anon and myself :)
I believe this unequivocally. Don't forget most importantly, you are good drummers.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 10-04-2012, 10:55 PM
AZslim's Avatar
AZslim AZslim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 224
Default Re: Girl drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNGrohl View Post
The way I see it is these female youtube drummers are using their gender as novelty and getting hits based on their looks in a way. It may be working for them but also selling themselves short. I wonder why drummers like Meytal for example don't play in a great band or start one, record their own solos and compose their own musical stuff, when they are obviously talented enough. Why does it has to be covers? All they are doing is copying performances. They are showing great skill, yeah, but not using their own creativity. Where's the art and personality? And when they do lessons it seems like such rudimentary stuff you can get elsewhere. Why not show us something new? or unique? I'd be less inclined to say Meytal is playing the gender card if it didn't feel like she was getting away with average stuff, when she could be doing more. I hate seeing a female coast along and not play up their potential.

Look at Orianthi on guitar. She's powerhouse! She never gives 50% when she could probably get away with it theses days. She gives 110% and got the MJ gig to prove it! If gender is not an issue, why do so many female drummers get treated differently for mediocre talent when we as males would be ignored for being average? Good should be good, average should be average, and not have looks or gender be a factor.
Maybe they just like doing what they are doing.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 10-04-2012, 10:57 PM
MrPockets's Avatar
MrPockets MrPockets is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Scrilla VIlla
Posts: 599
Default Re: Girl drummers

There are three types of female drummers I like

Ones that play well.

Ones that are attractive.

and Ones that are attractive and play well.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 10-04-2012, 11:05 PM
Mad About Drums's Avatar
Mad About Drums Mad About Drums is offline
Pollyanna's Agent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shropshire, UK
Posts: 5,502
Default Re: Girl drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming4life View Post
Was just wondering what you guys thought of all these girl drummers getting loads of views on youtube?
I watch a lot, I mean A LOT, of drummers on YT, so I see more male than female drummers overall, which is "normal" I guess, there's more guys than girls playing the drums...

...what I think of them? If they can play, I watch them, if not, I'll pass (like I would for male drummers) :)

...but I have some favorite female drummers: Cindy Blackman,Terri Lyne Carrington, Emmanuelle Caplette ... and of course Grea & Mary :)

Cindy Blackman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gpzN...ure=plpp_video

Terri Lyne Carrington http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoI_W...feature=relmfu

Emmanuelle Caplette http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NveMCs_mTCw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
Were there drums in that vid? :)
:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
Because most women just aren't as brave, fabulous and tenacious as Anon and myself :)
There you go Mary :) absolutely correct!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I never understood that "feminine" or "masculine" role of drumming. Playing has more to do with coordination than strength. Humans are silly.
Agreed, but drumming and drums is more a "guys" thing, generally speaking - how many female lorry driver, plumber, carpenter... do you see out there? There's some for sure, but it's always "noticeable" when you see them, and I'm sure they're as good as the male counterpart in the same job

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNGrohl View Post
I wonder why drummers like Meytal for example don't play in a great band or start one, record their own solos and compose their own musical stuff, when they are obviously talented enough. Why does it has to be covers? All they are doing is copying performances. They are showing great skill, yeah, but not using their own creativity. Where's the art and personality? And when they do lessons it seems like such rudimentary stuff you can get elsewhere. Why not show us something new? or unique? I'd be less inclined to say Meytal is playing the gender card if it didn't feel like she was getting away with average stuff, when she could be doing more.
Meytal's certainly playing the gender card, the sexy outfit, the teasing eyes, the smiles at the viewers, the wind in her hair... it feels all very calculated to seduce a male audience (and it works), but once you seen one vid, it's a bit repetive, she can play, no doubt about it, but it's quickly tiresome, I would like to see her in a band, playing original songs.

Emmanuelle Caplette is also doing covers, but they feel more focus on the drumming side, and it's her band who play these covers, not just playing over the original drummers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Links please caz :)
You've seen them :) http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=74701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-Arne Oseberg View Post
They're just drummers. How the rest of the world reacts can't be blamed on them.
That's probably resume this topic really well, I totally agree with you man :)
__________________
Keep On Drumming
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 10-05-2012, 01:30 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,738
Default Re: Girl drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longfuse View Post
Anyone, regardless of sex, who is encouraged to learn drums (especially from an early age) will end up with good rhythmic skills. In a lot of Islamic countries, many women were amateur drummers. That's not so much the case now, because modernisation has meant a lot of traditions are dying out, but many 'ordinary' women could be quite accomplished frame-drummers, tabla players etc.

My point? When there's a culture that encourages musicianship among women, then you end up with outstanding women musicians. And for that reason I'm in favour of any vids that promote women drummers. They can be role models, getting away from the typical, male drummer stereotype (I'm sure not all young women want to learn from pot-bellied bald guys with a wardrobe that hasn't rung the changes since 1988).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-Arne Oseberg View Post
They're just drummers. How the rest of the world reacts can't be blamed on them.

Something that''s rarer will always get more attention, just because it's not the norm.

Foreign musicians get a bit more attention in my country than the average Norwegian musician. When the double bass craze caught on about 10 years ago, the people who jumped on it got more attention. It's just how things work especially in the entertainment business.

Now if a girl is obviously trying to play that card that's her choice. But, it would be hypocritical to not admit that men do the exact same thing.

When I went to the conservatory there was only two players that had a deep enough groove and song sensibility that I truly enjoyed playing with them. One was male and the other a female. She was the only girl drummer in that school and to my knowledge the only one ever.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's only 1 female drummer pr.1000 male drummers. That in itself makes it unique.

I'm to old to get excited by half naked children, so as with all musicians I have only one concern. Can they play? All that other stuff is for the tabloids to ponder.
Outstanding posts, both.
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 10-06-2012, 10:14 PM
Caz's Avatar
Caz Caz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: London
Posts: 209
Default Re: Girl drummers

Quote:
Links please caz :)

BTW, are you coming to the London drum show next weekend? Call by if you are.
Hey there... hehe.. a girl drummer putting links on a thread about girl drummers trying to get views...!! It was kind of tongue in cheek what I said, if the videos I've got up were any good I'm sure they'd have more hits, the same goes for anyone. Ooh I may go the the drum show, where would I find you to say hello?

Quote:
Yes, but you play jazz, Caz (with pizzazz :)
hehe thanks, pizzazz sounds a bit like pizzas so that must be a good thing!

Quote:
Just curious but did you actually say anything along the lines of "girl drummer" in the video title?
No.. I wouldn't have thought it relevant. But to be fair there are times when it can be relevant for ads and things - some parents can prefer their daughters to get taught by female drummers. Also I remember Gregg Bissonette saying how important it is for drummers to be able to do backing vocals, and there have been a few times where people have got in touch wanting a female drummer because of a preference for female backing vocals. That's about it really...
__________________
www.carolinescottmusic.com
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 01-16-2013, 05:18 PM
JasperGTR JasperGTR is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 359
Default Re: Girl drummers

Interesting reading.

Anybody post in this thread simply because of the title?

We should just gauge the validity of the topic by how many views it received when compared to others of a similar date.

I, admittedly, look at 'girl' drummers with a different set of expectations (sexism at its worst), not unlike a parent looking at a child's artwork compared to an accomplished artist, we are impressed because the standard is lower. So the mere definition of a good 'girl' drummer is completely different than a good drummer. This is based solely off of my own personal observations. This may be offensive, but I don't have enough evidence supporting any contrary theories. I have no doubt of the possibility of a good girl drummer, I just haven't seen one that met my personal expectations.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 01-16-2013, 05:41 PM
inneedofgrace's Avatar
inneedofgrace inneedofgrace is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New Jersey - Exit 5
Posts: 1,579
Default Re: Girl drummers

Do girl drummers get barefoot and pregnant? ;)
__________________
"Through many dangers, toils and snares..." - Amazing Grace, third verse
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 01-16-2013, 05:54 PM
EarthRocker's Avatar
EarthRocker EarthRocker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 275
Default Re: Girl drummers

I think lady drummers have the potential to be much better than men if applied. You can't argue that women are typically more coordinated, more flexible, and most are shown to have better memory. All these advances in the brain would almost certainly mean a better sense of rhythm I'd think. It's just a matter of few of them taking such an interest, and those who do, aren't opperating at their maximum potential. I'll admit that I haven't seen many female drummers I'm impressed with - I'm not saying I haven't seen good ones, but very few have the wow factor that makes me wanna watch more of their stuff.

My daughter just turned two years old, and given the tradition of music in my family, I'm praying she takes an interest in music, drums especially. I'd love to get her started with lessons when she's five, and see if she could progress into a super talented musician. She already plays with drums, loves the practice pad, she's very familiar with them. So I'm hoping that by growing up in the environment, she'll be naturally drawn.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 01-16-2013, 05:58 PM
MaryO's Avatar
MaryO MaryO is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,943
Default Re: Girl drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperGTR View Post
.

I, admittedly, look at 'girl' drummers with a different set of expectations (sexism at its worst), not unlike a parent looking at a child's artwork compared to an accomplished artist, we are impressed because the standard is lower. So the mere definition of a good 'girl' drummer is completely different than a good drummer. This is based solely off of my own personal observations. This may be offensive, but I don't have enough evidence supporting any contrary theories. I have no doubt of the possibility of a good girl drummer, I just haven't seen one that met my personal expectations.
Seriously? And just what are your personal expectations of us "girl drummers?" And why should we have to live up to them? Do the guys? Ugh!
__________________
I am deluded enough to think I can bring something to the table - Huey Lewis.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 01-16-2013, 06:25 PM
Mad About Drums's Avatar
Mad About Drums Mad About Drums is offline
Pollyanna's Agent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shropshire, UK
Posts: 5,502
Default Re: Girl drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperGTR View Post
I, admittedly, look at 'girl' drummers with a different set of expectations (sexism at its worst), not unlike a parent looking at a child's artwork compared to an accomplished artist, we are impressed because the standard is lower. So the mere definition of a good 'girl' drummer is completely different than a good drummer. This is based solely off of my own personal observations. This may be offensive, but I don't have enough evidence supporting any contrary theories. I have no doubt of the possibility of a good girl drummer, I just haven't seen one that met my personal expectations.
I, admittedly, wouldn't mind to be as good as some "girl" drummers, irrespectively of whoever's expectations
Attached Images
 
__________________
Keep On Drumming

Last edited by Mad About Drums; 01-16-2013 at 08:50 PM. Reason: adding image
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 01-16-2013, 06:54 PM
inneedofgrace's Avatar
inneedofgrace inneedofgrace is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New Jersey - Exit 5
Posts: 1,579
Default Re: Girl drummers

Both of my daughters expressed an interest in drums when they were younger. Perhaps it was just to patronize their father. Unfortunately their interest was fleeting, as it was for singing and other instruments. If only I could have all that lesson money back now....
__________________
"Through many dangers, toils and snares..." - Amazing Grace, third verse
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 01-16-2013, 07:00 PM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,106
Default Re: Girl drummers

It's not right of me to judge, but I'd respect gals like Meytal more if they didn't always wear spandex shirts and even weirder stuff, like drum in heels. Point is, the drumming isn't the main focus for a lot of the viewers.

Some dude needs to get real buffed, oil up and then go on youtube under the name "Man-tal" to play drum covers of famous songs while smiling at the camera with his fabio mane blowing in the fan-wind. Whomever wants to take this on needs to make sure to do a video response to anything meytal posts. First cover has to be the Perfect Circle song "The Package".
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 01-16-2013, 07:14 PM
vxla vxla is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 304
Default Re: Girl drummers

Evelyn Glennie



That should just about cover the topic.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 01-16-2013, 07:29 PM
toddbishop toddbishop is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,436
Default Re: Girl drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperGTR View Post
I, admittedly, look at 'girl' drummers with a different set of expectations (sexism at its worst), not unlike a parent looking at a child's artwork compared to an accomplished artist, we are impressed because the standard is lower. So the mere definition of a good 'girl' drummer is completely different than a good drummer. This is based solely off of my own personal observations. This may be offensive, but I don't have enough evidence supporting any contrary theories. I have no doubt of the possibility of a good girl drummer, I just haven't seen one that met my personal expectations.
I guess if you start from a backwards-ass place of assuming assuming female inferiority, you're going to come to that conclusion. If you start from a place of thinking women are human beings, then you wonder what it was that caused this historic difference of outcomes in this one area.

Why don't you post some of your playing, so we can see how an accomplished man artist plays the drums?
__________________
Visit: Cruise Ship Drummer! - a drumming blog
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 01-16-2013, 07:33 PM
Anthony Amodeo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Girl drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperGTR View Post
I have no doubt of the possibility of a good girl drummer, I just haven't seen one that met my personal expectations.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui5nRno2p1Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KldT9JIQAWI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6LAyskAyNU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFVPotcV9tE


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUmJdCEy_qc

I could post these all day....but this should get the point across
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 01-16-2013, 08:17 PM
Lovetadraw's Avatar
Lovetadraw Lovetadraw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 370
Default Re: Girl drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
It's not right of me to judge, but I'd respect gals like Meytal more if they didn't always wear spandex shirts and even weirder stuff, like drum in heels. Point is, the drumming isn't the main focus for a lot of the viewers.
I think it's cool that they flaunt that they can do it HEELS. Especially Lux.
__________________
Christopher Walken would be pleased.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 01-17-2013, 03:53 PM
JasperGTR JasperGTR is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 359
Default Re: Girl drummers

You did get your point across. Like I said, I have no doubt that they exist, just my personal experiences have not allowed these individuals (or examples of this level of talent) to cross my path. Perhaps that is an indicator of how inferior my abilities are, when compared to others.

There was one female who did a sound check for another band, and I was anxious to see her play after watching her hit a few cymbals. You know you can tell how good/bad somebody is when you see them swing a stick. There is a clinical way, and an emotional way to play drums (depending on whether it is an innate ability, or taught). She did it 'right', but was too nervous to continue. Admittedly, she was on the spot. But other than the internet, this as far as I've come. I've seen other girl drummers, but they all seem limited, almost as if they quit learning - almost saying,"this is as much as I need to develop - and now I'm done."

Look - guys, I'm not trying to offend anyone. I do have a severely (admitted) sexist approach, but it is founded on observations, not prejudice. In my own home, I encourage my daughters in everything in life as much as my sons. I believe that anybody can do anything. I do not allow my daughters to say "I can't do that, because I'm a girl" or "I'm too small" or anything like that. It disgusts me, and drives me to motivate them even more to succeed. But I cannot force anyone to drum. My youngest daughter is the only girl remotely involved in music, by comparison - both of my sons enjoy it.

Perhaps drumming is a prepositioned masculine trait. Obviously there are women with masculine traits, just as there men who have feminine traits (I have an odd ability to pick out shoes and clothes for my wife).

Without getting in nature vs nuture, I'm just quantifying my perspective with my own observations - admitting (yet again) that I cannot observe what all of you have seen. Perhaps, as I live longer, my observations will enlighten me to what most of you already know.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 01-17-2013, 04:06 PM
vxla vxla is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 304
Default Re: Girl drummers

Can we see a video of you playing?
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 01-17-2013, 04:52 PM
toddbishop toddbishop is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,436
Default Re: Girl drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperGTR View Post
I've seen other girl drummers, but they all seem limited, almost as if they quit learning - almost saying,"this is as much as I need to develop - and now I'm done."
And that's not the case with the majority of all drummers, regardless of gender? How about you?

Quote:
Look - guys, I'm not trying to offend anyone. I do have a severely (admitted) sexist approach, but it is founded on observations, not prejudice.
Right, you're just an impartial observer. “Regrettably, those seem to be the facts...”

What motivated you to resurrect this dead thread? The spirit of scientific inquiry?
__________________
Visit: Cruise Ship Drummer! - a drumming blog
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 01-17-2013, 05:08 PM
MaryO's Avatar
MaryO MaryO is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,943
Default Re: Girl drummers

[quote=JasperGTR;1099749] I've seen other girl drummers, but they all seem limited, almost as if they quit learning - almost saying,"this is as much as I need to develop - and now I'm done."


Perhaps drumming is a prepositioned masculine trait. QUOTE]

Well crap! Not only am I destined to be a failure with my limited abilities, but I'm masculine as well! Guess I better turn in my sticks now! :P

(P.S. - I hope this isn't the same logic you use to encourage your daughter!)
__________________
I am deluded enough to think I can bring something to the table - Huey Lewis.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 01-17-2013, 05:40 PM
Mad About Drums's Avatar
Mad About Drums Mad About Drums is offline
Pollyanna's Agent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shropshire, UK
Posts: 5,502
Default Re: Girl drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperGTR View Post
I have no doubt that they exist...
If you have no doubt there's some outstanding, talented female drummers out there,why did you post such sexist comments? It doesn't make sense...

This forum include several female drummers, some of which are extremely talented, do you really have to see them before your eyes to acknowledge their talent?

Female drummers are a minority in the drumming world, for sure, but they are as good and bad as any male drummers, to assume that a gender defines "good" or "bad" is utterly ridiculous, in drumming or any other instruments
__________________
Keep On Drumming
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com