DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 08-22-2012, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Show Off Your DW Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by illustrator X View Post
Nice, you only have five pieces to go :o
Actually getting my 2nd snare in this exotic finish today. The first snare was built wrong by dw - so they let me keep it while they built the correct snare. I originally ordered a 7x13 VLT and instead got a 7x13 'not sure what shell it is'. The inside sticker reads Collector's Exotic Standard - however the grain is diagonal on the inside of the shell (x or vlx or hvx maybe - but definitely not Standard and for sure not VLT). I'll take some pics of the 'twins' this evening :) I'm also interested to hear the sound difference between the two.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickwitherow View Post
Actually getting my 2nd snare in this exotic finish today. The first snare was built wrong by dw - so they let me keep it while they built the correct snare. I originally ordered a 7x13 VLT and instead got a 7x13 'not sure what shell it is'. The inside sticker reads Collector's Exotic Standard - however the grain is diagonal on the inside of the shell (x or vlx or hvx maybe - but definitely not Standard and for sure not VLT). I'll take some pics of the 'twins' this evening :) I'm also interested to hear the sound difference between the two.
Very nice, I ordered this 6x13 vlt to match my exotic kit. I dug the snare that much. I like the idea of that 7" depth. By all means let us know if you hear a difference from that mystery X shell. I would think the vlt will have a little more livelyness.
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Very nice, I ordered this 6x13 vlt to match my exotic kit. I dug the snare that much. I like the idea of that 7" depth. By all means let us know if you hear a difference from that mystery X shell. I would think the vlt will have a little more livelyness.
Here they are...haven't had a chance to test them out side-by-side yet. Hopefully will do so tomorrow. Honestly, I like the grain pattern on the original drum more as it has more lines and depth that you can't really see on camera. But, I'm very pleased that the new one is exactly what I wanted to begin with...VLT.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickwitherow View Post
Here they are...haven't had a chance to test them out side-by-side yet. Hopefully will do so tomorrow. Honestly, I like the grain pattern on the original drum more as it has more lines and depth that you can't really see on camera. But, I'm very pleased that the new one is exactly what I wanted to begin with...VLT.
Seeing double! That looks really cool.
I suppose they are making you send the first one back in?
Old 08-23-2012, 08:37 PM

Be sure you sell the right one... ;o))))))
Old 08-24-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Seeing double! That looks really cool.
I suppose they are making you send the first one back in?
Yup - have the shipping label and will ship it out next week back to dw.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:44 AM
Silver Member

These came into my local Long& McQuade and I could not let them out of my sight. DW Jazz in Twisted Green Satin, Bop sizes (12x8,14x14,18x14,5x14) . Slightly used, about 35% discount. Gonna put the DW rail mount on there. I have the matching snare too...
Will post more pictures when I get them all set up with cymbals, etc....
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2012, 10:35 PM

Love the green! Congrats! Awaiting other pics! :o)
Old 09-21-2012, 11:20 PM
audiotech

I'm not really into green type of finishes, but yours is an exception. Very nice looking.

Dennis
Old 09-22-2012, 05:45 AM
Silver Member

Thanks guys. It will be a couple days but I'll put up more pictures, promise!

Just something about the green, I find it hypnotizing. I have a "Royal Blue" lacquer Collectors kit that I picked up for cheap, but the color just isn't my thing. Considering renting them out. But not these green gems!
More importantly, I really prefer the sound of the Jazz shells over the Collectors. Very unique sound....a 'modern vintage' so to speak. I will be using these mostly for folk/pop/rock/reggae, not much jazz. Although I do play some jazz.

Just like Peter Erskine says, don't let the name fool ya :)

Neal
Old 09-22-2012, 07:30 AM
Silver Member

The snare !
The finish reminds me of a crashing wave.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2012, 12:22 PM

Got a BIG kit of Jazzies: 24" kick, 13" Tom and 16", 18" Floors. Thunderous!!! Love them for the resonance. Pretty much have to keep coated heads on them... got G2s because I haven't found a good clear yet for this kit... maybe EC2s...?
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2012, 11:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcoffee View Post
Got a BIG kit of Jazzies: 24" kick, 13" Tom and 16", 18" Floors. Thunderous!!! Love them for the resonance. Pretty much have to keep coated heads on them... got G2s because I haven't found a good clear yet for this kit... maybe EC2s...?
Wow, nice kit! I've never seen or heard them that large. I can only imagine.
I like the focus that the die cast rims provide. Very warm and resonant sounding with not much decay with the Fiberskyn batters I just put on. Fiberskyn reso on the bass drum too, forggeddaboudit. Sounds great. Looks great. More pics coming later....

Neal
Old 09-23-2012, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilg99 View Post
Wow, nice kit! I've never seen or heard them that large. I can only imagine.
I like the focus that the die cast rims provide. Very warm and resonant sounding with not much decay with the Fiberskyn batters I just put on. Fiberskyn reso on the bass drum too, forggeddaboudit. Sounds great. Looks great. More pics coming later....

Neal
Actually, I asked DW to put some triple flanged hoops on the toms simply because I wanted a more open sound with added resonance. Result? A sound that kicks your butt without the annoying ring, just good natural resonance. I get a little bit of the focus back when I select a thicker head. I did some stage and recording with it and engineers just love it. They walk around it and go: mmmmmm, nice! I love it.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:51 AM
Silver Member

MrCoffee, if you're looking for a controlled rock sound on those drums, have you tried the Remo clear Vintage Emperors ? I really like them on another kit I have - with 3 ply mahogany shells with maple re-rings and 30 degree edges.

Like the DW Jazz shells, they are nice a take on 'modern vintage'. Slightly darker than regular emperors but more controlled, less sustain, just as resonant. Very close . Logo is very different:)
Clear emps have been my 'rock head' for about 15 years and I would have no qualms using the clear vintage emps on anything...

Neal
Old 09-23-2012, 08:01 AM
Silver Member

Benn polishing them for a while now...put the Fiberskyn reso on the bass drum and Fiberskyn batters for the toms. Very tasty. Have yet to actually play the kit with cymbals, still in tuning mode, getting to know them. I like to take my time :)
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2012, 09:01 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Benn polishing them for a while now...put the Fiberskyn reso on the bass drum and Fiberskyn batters for the toms. Very tasty. Have yet to actually play the kit with cymbals, still in tuning mode, getting to know them. I like to take my time :)
If they would be mine, they would have been played and have two head changes by now, lol.

Dennis
Old 09-23-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
evilg99, thanks for the recommendation. I will try EC2s next time, more into Evans because of nicer overall fit and sitting on the tom... had many, many issues with Remos unfortunately...
BTW, love the Fybersky in front of your kit (I know it's Remo :o) I will try one on my Collectors one of these days, for the Jazzie, I'm very satisfied with EQ1... boomy with the thud!
Old 09-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
If they would be mine, they would have been played and have two head changes by now, lol.

Dennis
I know Dennis, it's killing me. I'm so busy at work (7 days a week at the moment) I just don't have the time to do that.
I love the peaceful zen of changing heads and experimenting, polishing and cleaning, general maintenance, etc. And playing them of course!
Taking 'em out to a big gig this Friday. Big ballroom, big PA, about 800 people. Can't wait.

Neal
Old 09-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcoffee View Post
evilg99, thanks for the recommendation. I will try EC2s next time, more into Evans because of nicer overall fit and sitting on the tom... had many, many issues with Remos unfortunately...
BTW, love the Fybersky in front of your kit (I know it's Remo :o) I will try one on my Collectors one of these days, for the Jazzie, I'm very satisfied with EQ1... boomy with the thud!
Yes, I know what you're saying about the Remo heads. I have had a few duds over the years, but I roll with it. Pun intended.
I try out a lot of different heads and have just recently put EC2's on my Sonor 3007 maple kit...and they are great there. Tune 'em low. they love it.
Also been trying some Aquarians...Peformance II's = yuck. Waaaaaaaayyyyyy too dead. StudioX on a snare = liked it.....texture coated on a snare, liked it....Superkick - love them.

Neal
Old 09-26-2012, 08:43 PM

After nearly 9 months of waiting, it finally arrived today. :) There's a long storey behind it but I'll spare the details.

Specs:

7x14 DW Collector's Series Edge Snare
Maple/Mahogany - VLT
Twisted Blue Oyster Finish Ply
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2012, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumminjc View Post
After nearly 9 months of waiting, it finally arrived today. :) There's a long storey behind it but I'll spare the details.

Specs:

7x14 DW Collector's Series Edge Snare
Maple/Mahogany - VLT
Twisted Blue Oyster Finish Ply
Congratulations :) Wow, that's a lot of pictures = cool. I like the finish. It really pops :)

One thing I don't like though, & it is only a pathetically small detail, are the long tension screws that are threaded their entire length. My PPOV, they would look sharper with plain shanks except for the end being threaded.

Kit looks comfy to play too :)
Old 09-26-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Congratulations :) Wow, that's a lot of pictures = cool. I like the finish. It really pops :)

One thing I don't like though, & it is only a pathetically small detail, are the long tension screws that are threaded their entire length. My PPOV, they would look sharper with plain shanks except for the end being threaded.

Kit looks comfy to play too :)
Thanks! The tension rods don't bother me that much but I do get what you're saying.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:02 PM

How does that snare sound? Maple/mahog vlt edge!? I have to have that!
Old 09-26-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
How does that snare sound? Maple/mahog vlt edge!? I have to have that!
It sounds AMAZING! That's the best way I can describe it. I plan on recording a sound clip within the next few days. I'll be sure to post the clip here once I have it.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
It sounds AMAZING! That's the best way I can describe it. I plan on recording a sound clip within the next few days. I'll be sure to post the clip here once I have it.
You want me to mail you my zoom recorder? lol I really want to hear that drum!
Old 09-27-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
You want me to mail you my zoom recorder? lol I really want to hear that drum!
lol, no need. I'll be recording it within the next few hours. Stay tuned...
Old 09-27-2012, 06:02 PM

As promised, here is a sound clip of this bad boy. This is BY FAR my favorite snare!

Let me know what you think.

PS: I recorded this very early this morning so don't be too critical of the playing. :)

SOUND CLIP
Old 09-28-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
As promised, here is a sound clip of this bad boy. This is BY FAR my favorite snare!

Let me know what you think.

PS: I recorded this very early this morning so don't be too critical of the playing. :)

SOUND CLIP
Damn that lived up to expectations. The snare had a sharp attack even with the 7" depth. That depth allows for tons of woody flavor and resonance compared to typical edge snares. I had a 13x5 edge, and it was a one trick pony, offered up little flavor. The vlt shell with mahog def is a richer sound than the standard edge. Def my next snare.
Is your entire kit maple/mahog? Your kick sound is killer too. Your playing was good, thanks for posting!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Damn that lived up to expectations. The snare had a sharp attack even with the 7" depth. That depth allows for tons of woody flavor and resonance compared to typical edge snares. I had a 13x5 edge, and it was a one trick pony, offered up little flavor. The vlt shell with mahog def is a richer sound than the standard edge. Def my next snare.
Is your entire kit maple/mahog? Your kick sound is killer too. Your playing was good, thanks for posting!
Thanks man. I absolutely love everything about this snare. My kit is all maple. I wanted to add some flavor to my kit which is why I went with this snare. So much "flavor" it's ridiculous lol. I'm now seeking out a 6/6.5x12 for a side snare but am undecided on shell composition. Thanks again for the compliments!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Thanks man. I absolutely love everything about this snare. My kit is all maple. I wanted to add some flavor to my kit which is why I went with this snare. So much "flavor" it's ridiculous lol. I'm now seeking out a 6/6.5x12 for a side snare but am undecided on shell composition. Thanks again for the compliments!
That small of a size, don't bother with an edge. I have a 13x6 vlt snare if you want to hear it.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
That small of a size, don't bother with an edge. I have a 13x6 vlt snare if you want to hear it.
I'd love to give it a listen. I was actually thinking more along the lines of a super solid, super solid edge, or a solid stave snare in that size. I'm just curious as to how one would sound. I'm going to reach out to DW first to try and get some opinions from them. I had originally wanted a knurled steel in that size but unfortunately they turned the idea down.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I'd love to give it a listen. I was actually thinking more along the lines of a super solid, super solid edge, or a solid stave snare in that size. I'm just curious as to how one would sound. I'm going to reach out to DW first to try and get some opinions from them. I had originally wanted a knurled steel in that size but unfortunately they turned the idea down.
I have a 3/8ths supersolid too ;)
What a supersolid has to offer in that size won't be a huge difference than a 10ply standard shell with rings. The characteristic of a 12" is very popcorny, and you likely won't hear a lot of variation with a wood shell.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I have a 3/8ths supersolid too ;)
What a supersolid has to offer in that size won't be a huge difference than a 10ply standard shell with rings. The characteristic of a 12" is very popcorny, and you likely won't hear a lot of variation with a wood shell.
What would you recommend for a snare in that size?
Old 09-28-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
What would you recommend for a snare in that size?
My thoughts.. A high pitched solid sound, a 10&6 will do the job (if they make them that size)
If you want it to resonate a touch and have some body, straight vlt no re rings.
A supersolid shell would sound like a wood block with snares and be a waste of money.
A metal snare would cut and have great bite. A 12" is more of an fx snare, you wouldn't get bang for you buck if you went SS edge, or regular edge. My 13x5 edge was a big disappointment, did nothing. I sold that thing.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
My thoughts.. A high pitched solid sound, a 10&6 will do the job (if they make them that size)
If you want it to resonate a touch and have some body, straight vlt no re rings.
A supersolid shell would sound like a wood block with snares and be a waste of money.
A metal snare would cut and have great bite. A 12" is more of an fx snare, you wouldn't get bang for you buck if you went SS edge, or regular edge. My 13x5 edge was a big disappointment, did nothing. I sold that thing.
Thanks for the recommendations. Do you have a sound clip of that VLT you can post for me to listen to?
Old 09-28-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations. Do you have a sound clip of that VLT you can post for me to listen to?
Will record one for you. Stay tuned..
Old 09-28-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Will record one for you. Stay tuned..
Will do, thx! :)
Old 09-29-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Will do, thx! :)
I used to have a youtube vid of the 13"vlt. Looks like I will have to make a fresh vid. In the meanwhile, here is my 14" supersolid 3/8ths. Love it, wish it came in a 6" depth instead 5.5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvC7qd55_Yw&feature=plcp
Old 09-29-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I used to have a youtube vid of the 13"vlt. Looks like I will have to make a fresh vid. In the meanwhile, here is my 14" supersolid 3/8ths. Love it, wish it came in a 6" depth instead 5.5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvC7qd55_Yw&feature=plcp
Sounds amazing! I too wish they came in a 6" depth. Nice playing too!