DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 09-18-2012, 07:30 AM
Renegade

Default Re: Random Thoughts

Just thinking of how far we've come from the days when this kind of meal was a staple:

Soundcloud stream
Old 09-18-2012, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Good idea, Bon. Currently 1000mg morning & night, plus whatever's in my multivitamin tab, juices etc.

I heard a fair bit about Vit C when my sister shifted to Vit C treatment for cancer but she was too far gone for that, sadly. Before she died she told me of the benefits of mega doses of Vit C, not all in excess of daily needs ends up as waste (less than is often touted). Probably should try doubling my intake and adding a mid afternoon dose.

Still, I think it's pretty safe to say that when anything is touted as beneficial ... be it a wonder drug, super food, financial dealings etc ... the claims will be overstated. Overstatement is an interesting thing ... saw a Dan Gilbert TED talk about the brain and apparently people always overestimate the impact of benefits and setbacks. Seems like marketing is hard wired in human beings, at least until we evolve more accurate predictive functions.
Ahhh, so you know about the Vitamin C. Yes, the benefits could be overstated, but it can't hurt. I hope. I hear good things about Tumeric too, but again, the hype might be overstated. I take it anyway because of my own condition. Not all the time, but a few weeks here and there throughout the year. My goal isn't really to live longer, it can be a by-product, but my goal is to avoid pain as much as possible. I've already known too much of it in this lifetime and it's something I'll never get used to. I should quit smoking too here pretty soon myself.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Tell me about it. The asthma I got from the mould or whatever toxins are in this place (no doubt exacerbated by smoking and stress) has knocked me around. I literally spend hours every day devoted to coughing up mucous. It's killing me.

Now that I've replaced the rotting parts and gotten the ceiling cleaned I will hopefully have the mould protection people out here this week. I've used enough tea tree oil to heal 1000 elephants and I can still smell that musty, dirty smell when I get up in the morning after the house has been closed up all night.
Just a little insentive for you and Jules Pol.I have COPD and breathing at times is rough.I know asthma attacks can be scary too,but on hot and humid days,my breathing truly suffers.The only way to describe it is ...take a deep breath.....now without clearing your lungs,try to take another deep breath.You can't.Even with a rescue inhaler it's still difficult.

I would hate to see this happen to either one of you,hell I would hate to see it happen to anybody.We play a very physical instrument,and as lung capacity decreases,so will your time behind the kit.And forget about any mattress dancing.:)Cheers

Steve B
Old 09-18-2012, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

Going to see Rush tonight. Can't wait!
Old 09-19-2012, 02:55 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
The only way to describe it is ...take a deep breath.....now without clearing your lungs,try to take another deep breath.You can't.Even with a rescue inhaler it's still difficult.

I would hate to see this happen to either one of you,hell I would hate to see it happen to anybody.We play a very physical instrument,and as lung capacity decreases,so will your time behind the kit.And forget about any mattress dancing.:)
Scarily vivid description, Steve. What do you do when it's that bad? Any tips? I'm thinking that being calm would be super important.

Off the cigs, greatly reduced other smoking, exercising vigorously every day, eating less junk food ... and now I'm devoid of creative ideas ... have a feeling my next home recording will be a cross between Wake Me Up Before You Go Go and Walking on Sunshine - bleagh.

Have fun, Larry. Fry from Futurama is a Rush fan ... see 0:25 http://vimeo.com/7157711 :)

Soundcloud stream
Old 09-21-2012, 03:49 AM
Platinum Member

What happened to all the good threads? It getting dull and predictable lately. Bummer. Later.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
What happened to all the good threads? It getting dull and predictable lately. Bummer. Later.
Of course, you're excepting all threads started by me, as they're clearly magnificent ;) ;) ;)
Old 09-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Renegade

Yes Andy, your freds are jus' lubbly ;-)

Here's some excitement, Bon - last night only the guitarist and I could make it to practice. We slammed and bumbled our way through a ton of old rockers of the 60s, 70s and 80s, from Zep to Jimi to Doors, Stones, Divinyls, etc.

It was weird - I haven't rocked out for years. I don't know if it was rustiness or the new sticks and crash cymbal but I was struggling for control with the fills - I haven't played a 16th note triplet fill for 5 years lol

Not easy to seamlessly slip from one genre to another (in this case lounge to hard rock) ... I feel like I'd need to play rock for a few more jams to feel comfortable in that genre again.

My random thought for the day.

Soundcloud stream
Old 09-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Andy's threads are always very good, what are you complaining about...

... have you listen to all Grea's ambient tracks?

...did you see and read "YourAverageGymRat" impressive post?

...did you comment on the so important thread about double kicks and multi pedals set up?

Bon, you're a difficult guy to please, you know that, do you?
Old 09-21-2012, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Scarily vivid description, Steve. What do you do when it's that bad? Any tips? I'm thinking that being calm would be super important.

Off the cigs, greatly reduced other smoking, exercising vigorously every day, eating less junk food ... and now I'm devoid of creative ideas ... have a feeling my next home recording will be a cross between Wake Me Up Before You Go Go and Walking on Sunshine - bleagh.

Have fun, Larry. Fry from Futurama is a Rush fan ... see 0:25 http://vimeo.com/7157711 :)
Remaining calm is the key.I also have a small oxygen tank is need be.Warm liquids and steam also open up airways.Luckily,it's only happend a couple of times.My lung capacity is actually measureably better than it was a year ago.Exercise and walking also helps,as well as abdominal breathing.

I know asthma attacks can be scary,especially for children.As a former boy scout leader,we had a few kids who were asthmatic.When one of them had an attack,they became frightened out of their witts,so after using the rescue inhaler,calming them down was essential.to stopping the attack.

I'm glad you're off the cancer sticks.If you get an urge to smoke again,smoke something really wretched.Thats how I quit.I just kept buying the nastiest stuff I could find,and rationed myself down day by day,till I couldn't bear the thought of lighting up the foul tasting cigs I had.All the luck and will in the world.Cheers.:)

Steve B
Old 09-22-2012, 04:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Of course, you're excepting all threads started by me, as they're clearly magnificent ;) ;) ;)
Of course, there is always a few exceptions. I didn't mean ALL the threads.

Quote:
Yes Andy, your freds are jus' lubbly ;-)

Here's some excitement, Bon - last night only the guitarist and I could make it to practice. We slammed and bumbled our way through a ton of old rockers of the 60s, 70s and 80s, from Zep to Jimi to Doors, Stones, Divinyls, etc.

It was weird - I haven't rocked out for years. I don't know if it was rustiness or the new sticks and crash cymbal but I was struggling for control with the fills - I haven't played a 16th note triplet fill for 5 years lol

Not easy to seamlessly slip from one genre to another (in this case lounge to hard rock) ... I feel like I'd need to play rock for a few more jams to feel comfortable in that genre again.

My random thought for the day.
That's pretty cool. I've kinda gotten away from the standard 4/4 money beats too. I go back to them now and then but I can't help putting a little funk into it. My style has elements of a few genres. You should try some hippy music too like Steve Kimock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Andy's threads are always very good, what are you complaining about...

...did you see and read "YourAverageGymRat" impressive post?

...did you comment on the so important thread about double kicks and multi pedals set up?

Bon, you're a difficult guy to please, you know that, do you?
I've heard a few of Grea's tracks. That is a great thread, I agree.

The GymRat didn't impress me too much. Opinions are like,,,,well, you know where I'm going with this. (pfff..a Don Henley debate....**yawn**)

Double Kicks are for people who like double kicks. It's not where my head is at. I have better things to think about than double kicks. Maybe someday when I have nothing better to do I learn the double kick a little better.

I am difficult to please, yes, sorry for that. it's probably why I'm divorced right now.

To be fair, I can't think of an interesting thread to post either. Everything has been said on every subject. It's just fun to talk with fellow drummers. Have a good one, MAD Henri. Cheers!
Old 09-22-2012, 05:17 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Awesome Henri :) I have the best agent in town and still get less than 100 views haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
I'm glad you're off the cancer sticks.If you get an urge to smoke again,smoke something really wretched.Thats how I quit.I just kept buying the nastiest stuff I could find,and rationed myself down day by day,till I couldn't bear the thought of lighting up the foul tasting cigs I had.
Nice thought, Steve, but last time I quit and couldn't hold out I picked butts up off the street and rolled them up. I've happily bought the cheap Chinese cigs too. I cracked a bit recently but now I'm pulling back again.

Quote:
That's pretty cool. I've kinda gotten away from the standard 4/4 money beats too. I go back to them now and then but I can't help putting a little funk into it. My style has elements of a few genres. You should try some hippy music too like Steve Kimock.
That's not a hippie ... THIS is a hippie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01NHcTM5IA4

Oops, wrong link, here's the hippies (and I love 'em): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiy5K81qvbg#t=60s

Agree with your gripes, Bon - but if we can't think of anything better then we can't really complain, eh? I'm divorded too ... is there a pattern? :)

Most of the topics are gear-related and my value system doesn't feel comfortable with heavy material consumption (as a hobbyist). The kit that replaces the RT will almost certainly be my last. The hard part in getting a good sound IMO is not acquiring gear, it's working out what heads work best with it, finding suitable tuning, playing the right element of the instrument at the right time and, most importantly, touch and groove.

A great player can make a table sound better than an uncontrolled drummer on a top line kit. Again just my opinion.

Agree, talking to other drummers is great (with my post count I'd look pretty silly if I said otherwise :) ... but I never knew how much fun other drummers were until DW. I was always too unconfident to chat with other drummers at length. Even back then, deep down I knew I was a pretender (ie. not a REAL drummer haha)

Soundcloud stream
Old 09-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Awesome Henri :) I have the best agent in town and still get less than 100 views haha.
I'm sold :)

As for RT replacement Grea, one day, if all goes well in my world, I'll just send you my best shot, with zero accompanying discussion to bore the knickers off you. You can then either use it or bin it :)
Old 09-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Renegade

Cheers Andy - hoping the kit will be light and small as possible while not sacrificing sound quality (like the RT does). Was thinking about a Gretsch Catalina.

Soundcloud stream
Old 09-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
That's not a hippie ... THIS is a hippie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01NHcTM5IA4

Oops, wrong link, here's the hippies (and I love 'em): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiy5K81qvbg#t=60s

Agree with your gripes, Bon - but if we can't think of anything better then we can't really complain, eh? I'm divorded too ... is there a pattern? :)

Most of the topics are gear-related and my value system doesn't feel comfortable with heavy material consumption (as a hobbyist). The kit that replaces the RT will almost certainly be my last. The hard part in getting a good sound IMO is not acquiring gear, it's working out what heads work best with it, finding suitable tuning, playing the right element of the instrument at the right time and, most importantly, touch and groove.

A great player can make a table sound better than an uncontrolled drummer on a top line kit. Again just my opinion.

Agree, talking to other drummers is great (with my post count I'd look pretty silly if I said otherwise :) ... but I never knew how much fun other drummers were until DW. I was always too unconfident to chat with other drummers at length. Even back then, deep down I knew I was a pretender (ie. not a REAL drummer haha)
Ha! Now that's an Aussie. There are very few movie quotes I can remember. That's one of them. Great clip!

Gong...I forgot about those guys. Awesome song. I liked it. I remember the last time you posted something from that band. It impressed me, so I had to show it to my hippy friends (people who like hippy music) and they really liked it too. They never heard of them either.

Ya, gear is nice, but I don't think about it too much. I'm practical and satisfied with most of the gear that I buy. The guitar players in my band are total gear heads. They get to talking about gear and my brain just flatlines.....beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep! I mean these guys have $10,000 amps and guitars that cost $4,000. Pretty impressive...I soaked about $500 into my cheapo drum kit....hmmmm. It's enough for me to get a new cymbal. I buy good stuff when I do buy.

Well, I'm glad you're more confident about chatting now. We need an intelligent woman's opinion and perspective. Always good stuff.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Platinum Member

Just finished preparing my garden for autumn/winter (two full days job) 10 minutes before it started to rain - yeah!! Just the winter hedges chop & tree pruning after the fall, & I'm done. Got 8 ton of wood cured & ready to go from last year's logging & splitting, & another 10 ton logged & split already curing in the barn. What a prepared drummer I am :)

Just fired up the log burner for the first time this year too = cozzzzy :)
Old 09-23-2012, 02:50 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
I was always too unconfident to chat with other drummers at length. Even back then, deep down I knew I was a pretender (ie. not a REAL drummer haha)
I know that feeling too well :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
What a prepared drummer I am :)
Well done my friend, I wish I was as good as you, I still have a lot of work to do outside the house :(
Old 09-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

I love the Sunday Times.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:19 AM
Platinum Member

At work for over 5 hours so far with another two, three or more to go. This should be illegal on a Sunday....just saying! :P
Old 09-24-2012, 01:46 AM
Platinum Member

Weekend - My thoughts wander between tasks at work, and refurbishing a drum set. Then bang! ... I keep wondering how many items, total, are in a grocery store. Anybody guess?
Old 09-24-2012, 06:21 AM
Platinum Member

I've just finished eating some shrimp vindaloo that kicked my ass!
Old 09-24-2012, 07:52 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by con struct View Post
I've just finished eating some shrimp vindaloo that kicked my ass!
I find that hot curry / chilli swamps the prawns' delicate flavour - I guess it's just about texture and fire.

Soundcloud stream
Old 09-24-2012, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member

Don't want to go to work today. Not ready for this weekend to be over.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:23 AM
Platinum Member

Craigslist does it again. Having almost fully recovered from over a year-long illness, getting my breathing back, getting my strength and agility back, and needing very much to play my damn drums, I put an add on Craigslist that basically said I WANT TO PLAY MY DRUMS, HAVE LARGE REHEARSAL ROOM WITH PIANO AND BEER.

So along comes a harmonica player/singer who's ready to do some blues jamming, perfect for me, just what I wanted. He's got a bass player and a guitar player and now we're just about ready to go,

To play my drums again, with other musicians! I can almost taste it. Oh baby. Life is raising its head a little.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:27 AM
Platinum Member

WTG, J. Glad to hear you're feeling good enough to drum again. I see you gave up on that airport. Oh well, have fun.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:47 AM
Platinum Member

A bottom-of-the-ninth two-run homer by Freddy Freeman sends the Braves to the playoffs. Wowzers!
Old 09-26-2012, 03:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
WTG, J. Glad to hear you're feeling good enough to drum again. I see you gave up on that airport. Oh well, have fun.
Thanks, Zeph. Yeah, I've decided to go tight and clean, to stay on that plateau of positivity!
Old 09-26-2012, 04:14 AM
Platinum Member

con, I didn't know you were dealing with some sh!t like that. Happy to hear the clouds are parting for you. There's no therapy like sitting behind the set, at least not for me.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
con, I didn't know you were dealing with some sh!t like that. Happy to hear the clouds are parting for you. There's no therapy like sitting behind the set, at least not for me.
8Mile, I'm jonesing for playing with a bass player, just getting a groove going.

But to hell with all that. The Braves are going to the playoffs, that's what really matters tonight,
Old 09-26-2012, 07:41 AM
Renegade

Great stuff, J. Brilliant ad. Not surprised that the right people turned up - enjoy!

I want to learn to play heel down (beyond quarters to moderate tempos). I've put a pedal and kick pad under my desk. I had to really dial my pedal tension back to play heel down or I couldn't stay relaxed and control it

Soundcloud stream
Old 09-27-2012, 12:54 AM
Platinum Member

Just had a root-canal done. I've had more fun at a funeral.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:13 AM
Platinum Member

Day 5 of trial complete....hopefully only 2 more to go. Good news/Bad news...only 2 more days but tomorrow will most likely be a 12-14 hour one! Ugh. I miss my drums :(
Old 09-27-2012, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
Day 5 of trial complete....hopefully only 2 more to go. Good news/Bad news...only 2 more days but tomorrow will most likely be a 12-14 hour one! Ugh. I miss my drums :(
Drums Is Good.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:53 AM

I think the twist tie machine is left handed.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:21 AM

Woohoo.............4 day weekend !!!
Old 09-27-2012, 12:03 PM
nhzoso

Regular Ref's are back.....back to only 5 bad calls a game instead of 10..wooo hooo

GO PATRIOTS!
Old 09-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Platinum Member

Tigers win, White Sox lose. Tigers now one game up on the White Sox, alone in first place.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:16 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Lost my Dad. Funeral was the saddest day of my life. 15 minutes after seeing my Dad dead for the very first time, I had to greet every person I ever knew it seemed. Man that was overwhelming. My facial recognition software in my head crashed and I was a total mess, but somehow got through it. 5 days prior, I was the last one to see him alive. He was on morphine, and unconscious, but he could still hear and understand me, so they say. I knew this was the last time I would see him alive, so I said my goodbyes. I told him he did real good here, he left a lot of great people, and that we would be OK. I kept telling him how good he did. He needed to hear that. He was a good and decent man. I told him it's time to finish his job here and cross over. When I said that he flinched. 10 hours later, he crossed over.

Gave me a mega ton of appreciation for everyone who I still have. Circle of life. Hug your kids today for me.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Lost my Dad. Funeral was the saddest day of my life. 15 minutes after seeing my Dad dead for the very first time, I had to greet every person I ever knew it seemed. Man that was overwhelming. My facial recognition software in my head crashed and I was a total mess, but somehow got through it. 5 days prior, I was the last one to see him alive. He was on morphine, and unconscious, but he could still hear and understand me, so they say. I knew this was the last time I would see him alive, so I said my goodbyes. I told him he did real good here, he left a lot of great people, and that we would be OK. I kept telling him how good he did. He needed to hear that. He was a good and decent man. I told him it's time to finish his job here and cross over. When I said that he flinched. 10 hours later, he crossed over.

Gave me a mega ton of appreciation for everyone who I still have. Circle of life. Hug your kids today for me.
Condolences. I for one can't imagine how painful it will be when my Dad passes on. I was about 11 or so when my Grandfather (the Pops of my Dad) passed on and I could not understand at that age why my Dad was the worse off I had ever seen him.
Session Work
Old 09-27-2012, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

Larry, you have my deepest condolences for your loss. What a beautiful way to say goodbye to your Dad. Hang in there, man.