Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 09-14-2012, 02:38 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Man, I want a bloody cigarette!!!
A little over a week and a half and I'm gagging. Thought it was meant to get easier?!?!?!

That hot dog is timely. I just watched the show where that fat guy takes on various "all you can eat" food challenges etc and they featured those very dogs from Lafayette in the prelude (fwiw, too many onions for my liking). Then he sat down and proceeded to gorge himself stupid on a mountainous plate of some chili infested muck. Man can that dude eat or what?
HA! I am lucky - I have smoked for about 25 years, just three times a week or so. It's a treat so I isolate myself, make sure I have no distractions and I smoke in a mindful, focused manner. Plus you get a whale of a buzz if you just some once every few days. For you to do that would probably drive you insane, though.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:50 AM
Renegade

Quote:
once I've given up the fags for good I have a very cunning plan to circumvent it. One of these days we'll have to have a discussion on the merits of the vapouriser. :-)
I bought one recently and could do with some maintenance tips :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
HA! I am lucky - I have smoked for about 25 years, just three times a week or so. It's a treat so I isolate myself, make sure I have no distractions and I smoke in a mindful, focused manner. Plus you get a whale of a buzz if you just some once every few days. For you to do that would probably drive you insane, though.
Good stuff, Martin - use rather than abuse. That's what it should all be about. Easier said than done, though - for some, anyway. I thought this was interesting http://www.economist.com/node/5436851?story_id=5436851

Soundcloud stream
Old 09-14-2012, 03:30 AM
Platinum Member

I quit for 10 years, then I started again after I got divorced. I rather enjoy smoking. When I don't enjoy it anymore, I'll quit again. It's hard, but doable, just takes a little practice. I used nicotine gum last time for two month, then went cold turkey off the gum.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Man, I want a bloody cigarette!!!
A little over a week and a half and I'm gagging. Thought it was meant to get easier?!?!?!
A pack a week x a year = cost of a new cymbal

That should make any drummer stop!
Old 09-14-2012, 06:03 AM
Renegade

DED, you just reminded me that I need a new simbell ... the band is working on a cafe set (for the cafe set) and I want a single, all purpose cymbal for loungey music - even quieter than the band's usual style. So the symball needs to be pretty low volume - not too thick, not too bright and not too washy. My 20" Zild ride is too loud and my 19" Sabian is too thick and clangy. I have an old Meinl 17" crash that would be good if its tone wasn't so dull. Any ideas?

News Flash! I just did something I thought I'd never do - I joined a gym today. A Torture Master will assess me on Mon afternoon and decide on a suitable punishment regimen for me.

A gym is very not "me" but I have to bite the bullet ... if you don't use it, you lose it ... you can't let the grass grow under your feet ... a stitch in time saves nine ... [insert extra cliches here ________________________]

Soundcloud stream
Old 09-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAgent27 View Post
The Detroit Coney IS the REAL coney, you silly lad. It originated in Detroit (from the Hungarians, I believe). Anyhow, the more you know..
The original Island was settled by the Dutch in 1639 and named Conyne Eylandt.In 1690,it appeared on English maps as Conney Isle.Finally in 1733,It was standardised as Coney Island.

In Austria the Weiner/frankfurter was invented in 1805.German Immigrant Charles Feltman who was a butcher,opened the first hot dog stand in Coney Island in 1867.

Steve B
Old 09-14-2012, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
DED, you just reminded me that I need a new simbell ... the band is working on a cafe set (for the cafe set) and I want a single, all purpose cymbal for loungey music - even quieter than the band's usual style. So the symball needs to be pretty low volume - not too thick, not too bright and not too washy. My 20" Zild ride is too loud and my 19" Sabian is too thick and clangy. I have an old Meinl 17" crash that would be good if its tone wasn't so dull. Any ideas?

News Flash! I just did something I thought I'd never do - I joined a gym today. A Torture Master will assess me on Mon afternoon and decide on a suitable punishment regimen for me.

A gym is very not "me" but I have to bite the bullet ... if you don't use it, you lose it ... you can't let the grass grow under your feet ... a stitch in time saves nine ... [insert extra cliches here ________________________]
Pol...check out Ebay for Sabian Sound Control models.They come in rides and crashes.I have a 16 crash and no matter how hard you hit it,it remains very quiet.I say check Ebay,because Sabian dosen't seem to make them anymore.Cheers.

Steve B
Old 09-14-2012, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
The original Island was settled by the Dutch in 1639 and named Conyne Eylandt.In 1690,it appeared on English maps as Conney Isle.Finally in 1733,It was standardised as Coney Island.

In Austria the Weiner/frankfurter was invented in 1805.German Immigrant Charles Feltman who was a butcher,opened the first hot dog stand in Coney Island in 1867.

Steve B
Yeah, that's the birth of the hot dog. The Coney Island, the specialty dog from Detroit, was invented by George Todoroff in 1914, in Jackson, Michigan. A book chronicling the history of the hot dog in Detroit came out late last year: http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/d...ming_book.html

The demand for the Detroit Coney from transplanted Detroiters led to a Coney Island joint being opened up in Hollywood a couple years ago! http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/...-to-hollywood/

I'm also a big fan of the Chicago dog. The first time I saw one I thought it was the most ridiculous thing ever. Now? I love 'em!

Old 09-15-2012, 12:40 AM
Renegade

Thanks Steve - a good start. Just checked out a YT ... looking for darker and more stick definition when riding it - if there's an area of life where I can be a bit of a princess, it's choosing cymbals, especially ones I intend to both ride and crash.

I'm definitely not a princess with food but that photo of the Chicago "dog" (more like dogs' gizzards) almost put me off my breakfast! Almost.

Soundcloud stream
Old 09-15-2012, 02:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Yeah, that's the birth of the hot dog. The Coney Island, the specialty dog from Detroit, was invented by George Todoroff in 1914, in Jackson, Michigan. A book chronicling the history of the hot dog in Detroit came out late last year: http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/d...ming_book.html

The demand for the Detroit Coney from transplanted Detroiters led to a Coney Island joint being opened up in Hollywood a couple years ago! http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/...-to-hollywood/

I'm also a big fan of the Chicago dog. The first time I saw one I thought it was the most ridiculous thing ever. Now? I love 'em!

I have tried a couple of Chicago dogs at the O'Hare Airport.At frist I ordered them with mustard and kraut,but they pinned me right out as a New Yorker.So I tried them native style.They were good,especially the dogs themselves.But I'm of German desent,and mustard and kraut is the way the Fam eats hot dogs.Anybody who was caught using ketsup was in serious trouble.:)

Steve B
Old 09-15-2012, 02:22 AM
Renegade

Faeces onna bun! Come and geddit while it's warm!

Soundcloud stream
Old 09-15-2012, 03:09 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Right? That looks about as appetizing coming out as it does going in lol.
I like cutting the dogs length-wise and frying them. They look like fried African lips. :)
Old 09-15-2012, 03:51 AM
Platinum Member

Steve, I like the NY dogs as well. Nothin' wrong with kraut on a dog!

Grea and Larry:
Old 09-15-2012, 04:11 AM
Renegade

lol ... oh, and 8Larry, one more thing ...

plus

equals

Soundcloud stream
Old 09-15-2012, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member

You carnivores! I'm going to have to eat a bag of carrots now to balance this out...
Old 09-15-2012, 11:17 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
lol ... oh, and 8Larry, one more thing ...

plus

equals

That's so gross... and disgusting, I'll never look at hot-dog the same way anymore...
Old 09-15-2012, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member

It's times like this that I'm damn glad to be a vegetarian...
Old 09-15-2012, 05:00 PM
"Uncle Larry"

What is the dark green crap on that hot dog?
Old 09-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I don't really want to know to tell you the truth... looks that's straight out of "the Exorcist", lol.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Larry, that's "neon relish." It's one of the staple ingredients of a Chicago hot dog. Here's the full list from the Wikipedia article:

A Chicago-style hot dog, or Chicago Dog, is a steamed or water-simmered all-beef frankfurter[1][3] on a poppy seed bun,[4] originating from the city of Chicago, Illinois. The hot dog is topped with yellow mustard; chopped white onions; bright green sweet pickle relish; a dill pickle spear; tomato slices or wedges; pickled sport peppers; and a dash of celery salt.[1][5][6][7] The complete assembly of a Chicago hot dog is said to be "dragged through the garden" due to the many toppings.[8][9]

The canonical recipe[1] does not include ketchup, and there is a widely-shared, strong opinion among many Chicagoans and aficionados that ketchup is unacceptable.[10][11][12][13] A number of Chicago hot dog vendors do not even offer ketchup as a condiment,[14] while those who do often use it as a litmus test
Old 09-15-2012, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Faeces onna bun! Come and geddit while it's warm!
There's two things you never want to let people see how you make them.Thats laws and sausages.

I think I'll go now and have a Nathans hot dog or two.:)

Steve B
Old 09-16-2012, 01:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Otherwise known as the Fukushima Fallout Turd.

And I thought smoking was killing me. Man, some of these hot dogs are truely gut churning!!
Old 09-16-2012, 01:51 AM
Platinum Member

If there are any more shots of these hotdogs, I think I actually am going to buy a bag of carrots just so I can remove some of the guilt for others! Call it my sacrifice.

I'll eat them with a cigarette in the other hand. (Sorry Jules, couldn't help myself...)
Old 09-16-2012, 01:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
I'll eat them with a cigarette in the other hand. (Sorry Jules, couldn't help myself...)
No worries mate. I'm smoking vicariously through others anyway. Just be sure to describe it to me and tell me how much you enjoyed it when you're done.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:57 AM
Platinum Member

Old Holborn in a Rizla+ Red, with a Swan 'Slim' filter. Deep, rich and rough. Just the way I like my women, too...
Old 09-16-2012, 02:30 AM
Renegade

Glad you solved the mystery of the green slime. I was thinking it was intestine soaked in party dye ;-) Really Larry8, you have to admit that shot looks like something out of a splatter movie. Icky.

I have no willpower. I wake up feeling awful and full of mucous. I continue to feel awful until I have a smoke after breakfast - then suddenly I can breathe again and I start feeling happy. Tomorrow I start shock therapy - day one at the gym.

Soundcloud stream
Old 09-16-2012, 04:05 AM
Platinum Member

Funny, these comments coming from the land of the vegemite sandwich. hehehe.

Coney's and Chicago style are good, but I like my hot dogs mexican style...wrapped in bacon, deep fried with salsa and jalapeno peppers. Oh yeah! Bring on the heart attack.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Funny, these comments coming from the land of the vegemite sandwich. hehehe.
Vegemite is the result of the yeast extract left from brewing beer. Food made from beer.....it really doesn't get any better than that does it?

A vegemite sandwhich washed down with a cold beer covers all ones daily dietary needs.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Vegemite is the result of the yeast extract left from brewing beer. Food made from beer.....it really doesn't get any better than that does it?

A vegemite sandwhich washed down with a cold beer covers all ones daily dietary needs.
Makes perfect sense to me. Food made from beer. lol. Interesting bit of knowledge there. Never knew that.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
No worries mate. I'm smoking vicariously through others anyway. Just be sure to describe it to me and tell me how much you enjoyed it when you're done.
Jules...as far as your smoking...I truely wish you all the luck my mate.I'm smoke free for over two years,and I feel SO much better.It was one of the hardrest things I've ever done.It's a long journey,but it's a journey worth taking.Have a Crownie on me.Besides,the wife will never let you live it down.What more inspiration do you need ,Cheers.:)

Steve B
Old 09-16-2012, 05:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
.......but it's a journey worth taking.
Thanks for the kind words my friend. This journey is for my little girl......it is indeed worth it.

I'll get there.....I'm a stubborn bugger at heart.....I just may whinge a little along the way is all. :-)

Quote:
Have a Crownie on me.
Now there's a vice I'm never gonna give up.

Have just opened one up. Raising it in your honour now. Cheers to you mate.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:08 AM
Renegade

Many years ago an American b/f of my older sister said Vegemite looked and tasted like axle grease. While I doubt he'd ever tasted axle grease I always thought that was perceptive of him.

It's always interesting to have the freshness of outside opinion, like when an American e-friend said that Aussies tend to shorten words to one syllable and add -ee to the end. He nailed it, although we sometimes add -o too.

I've just put all my smoking implements away. The constant coughing is unbearable but, if the mould is still affecting me, I won't know until I eliminate smoking as a cause. I may not be very friendly over the next few days ... Pocket, good on you for hanging in there ... if a dedicated hedonist like you can do it then I should at least have a shot!

Soundcloud stream
Old 09-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
.........like when an American e-friend said that Aussies tend to shorten words to one syllable and add -ee to the end. He nailed it, although we sometimes add -o too.
Funny. I remember a Canadian backpacker that lived with me for a while also noticed that while we do shorten everything that's remotely long (i.e. Johnson becomes Johnno, Simpson becomes Simmo, McDonald becomes Macca, Vegemite becomes Vegie etc etc)......we also lengthen anything that's remotely short (i.e. White become Whitey, Black becomes Blacky). So pretty much, no matter what we do.....there's your "ee"....or "o".

No doubt Aussies are a strange lot Pol. Although it could always be worse.......we could be Yanks. Perish the thought!! :-)

Quote:
Pocket, good on you for hanging in there ... if a dedicated hedonist like you can do it then I should at least have a shot!
Ah, but a hedonist I've always been and a hedonist I remain. There's only so much "clean living" that I'm prepared to adhere to. So that said, next time I'm in Syd, we'll be sure to figure out that bloody vapouriser.....deal? :-)
Old 09-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Renegade

Quote:
No doubt Aussies are a strange lot Pol. Although it could always be worse.......we could be Yanks. Perish the thought!! :-)
Haha. I love Yanks - they make me feel sane :)

Quote:
Ah, but a hedonist I've always been and a hedonist I remain. There's only so much "clean living" that I'm prepared to adhere to. So that said, next time I'm in Syd, we'll be sure to figure out that bloody vapouriser.....deal? :-)
I know what you mean - if I behave for too long I start getting stale. Yep, rock on up and I'll power up the machine!

Soundcloud stream
Old 09-18-2012, 01:10 AM
Renegade

Oh look, we scared off the Yanks :)

The gym instructor didn't show yesterday so I have to go again this morning. In lieu of instruction I did some light workouts on step, cycling and walking machines for less than 1/2 an hour and that nearly bloody killed me. It's a looong road ....

Soundcloud stream
Old 09-18-2012, 01:15 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Oh look, we scared off the Yanks :)

The gym instructor didn't show yesterday so I have to go again this morning. In lieu of instruction I did some light workouts on step, cycling and walking machines for less than 1/2 an hour and that nearly bloody killed me. It's a looong road ....
Less than 1/2 an hour?!?... and it nearly killed you? ... it's gonna be a very, very, very loooong road Grea :)
Old 09-18-2012, 01:29 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Less than 1/2 an hour?!?... and it nearly killed you? ... it's gonna be a very, very, very loooong road Grea :)
Tell me about it. The asthma I got from the mould or whatever toxins are in this place (no doubt exacerbated by smoking and stress) has knocked me around. I literally spend hours every day devoted to coughing up mucous. It's killing me.

Now that I've replaced the rotting parts and gotten the ceiling cleaned I will hopefully have the mould protection people out here this week. I've used enough tea tree oil to heal 1000 elephants and I can still smell that musty, dirty smell when I get up in the morning after the house has been closed up all night.

Soundcloud stream
Old 09-18-2012, 04:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Tell me about it. The asthma I got from the mould or whatever toxins are in this place (no doubt exacerbated by smoking and stress) has knocked me around. I literally spend hours every day devoted to coughing up mucous. It's killing me.

Now that I've replaced the rotting parts and gotten the ceiling cleaned I will hopefully have the mould protection people out here this week. I've used enough tea tree oil to heal 1000 elephants and I can still smell that musty, dirty smell when I get up in the morning after the house has been closed up all night.

Make sure you're getting plenty of Vitamin C whilst detoxing. I mean a lot. You should Google its effects on respiratory health.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Make sure you're getting plenty of Vitamin C whilst detoxing.
If you guys keep eating those hot dogs that are rearing their ugly heads in this thread, no amount of vitamin C is gonna save you.

That said, I had an orange once......although it was squeezed into a glass.....and had vodka with it!!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:23 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Make sure you're getting plenty of Vitamin C whilst detoxing. I mean a lot. You should Google its effects on respiratory health.
Good idea, Bon. Currently 1000mg morning & night, plus whatever's in my multivitamin tab, juices etc.

I heard a fair bit about Vit C when my sister shifted to Vit C treatment for cancer but she was too far gone for that, sadly. Before she died she told me of the benefits of mega doses of Vit C, not all in excess of daily needs ends up as waste (less than is often touted). Probably should try doubling my intake and adding a mid afternoon dose.

Still, I think it's pretty safe to say that when anything is touted as beneficial ... be it a wonder drug, super food, financial dealings etc ... the claims will be overstated. Overstatement is an interesting thing ... saw a Dan Gilbert TED talk about the brain and apparently people always overestimate the impact of benefits and setbacks. Seems like marketing is hard wired in human beings, at least until we evolve more accurate predictive functions.

Soundcloud stream