DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 09-12-2012, 05:35 AM

Default What heads for old, beginner tom-toms?

So I've recently gotten back into drumming after almost ten years away from them. My kit is nothing to write home about. It's a Sunlite (don't know the exact model but its a beginner). I've got a good snare and top of the line cymbals though. For what its worth I've spent a lot of time learning how to tune my drums and they don't sound to bad. Not great, but not terrible.

So my question is what are the best type of heads to put on cheap, "ringy," "overtone producing" tom toms? I read somewhere that I should get 2-plys that deaden the overtones more. I was thinking of the Evans EC2 SSTs with G1 resonants on the bottom. I researched the Onyx and hydraulic heads by Evans but I think that would be too dark and thumpy sounding. Is my thinking on this correct to get a little more out of my old beater set?
Old 09-12-2012, 10:57 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: What heads for old, beginner tom-toms?

Definitely use 1 ply reso heads, such as Remo ambassador or Evans g1. I use clear Remo emperors as batters, it's the best sound I've had so far. Need to try coated 2 ply heads too...

Look at Aquarian heads as well, I've heard nothing but good about them.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:05 PM
nhzoso

Remo Coated pinstripes should do the trick.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:28 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Ringy, overtone producing toms are actually desirable. To me anyway. You can always take away ring and overtones, but you can't add them.

That ring you speak of makes the drums sound great from a distance. If your drums stay in a small room all the time, you may prefer 2 ply heads as it gives it more deepness. 2 ply heads sound better to the drummer, 1 ply heads sound better to the audience. Talking unmiced. 1 ply heads are livelier and carry further. 2 ply heads have more tone close up but it muds up by the time it gets to the audience. JMO.

Anyway, you would put the same heads on "cheap" drums as you would on expensive drums.
Heads with any sort of premuffling, either 2 ply, or tone control rings, or dots, even coated heads...they remove frequencies. Your drum is giving 100% with single ply clears top and bottom. Anything else subtracts or alters frequencies, that's just physics.

I've tried nearly every head made, and after probably a thousand dollars later, I ended up where I started, with single ply, 10 mil, clear heads.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:00 AM

If it makes an further difference, I think my toms are basswood. Again, its not a high quality set but enjoy playing on it and just want to get the toms sounding as good as possible with the right heads. I have some moderately used Satin Finish Aquarian heads for batters now. They sound pretty decent but I may switch to something else. Thanks for the replies.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:54 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
If it makes an further difference, I think my toms are basswood. Again, its not a high quality set but enjoy playing on it and just want to get the toms sounding as good as possible with the right heads. I have some moderately used Satin Finish Aquarian heads for batters now. They sound pretty decent but I may switch to something else. Thanks for the replies.
If you have fairly good bearing edges and most importantly, know how to tune, you've basically won the battle no matter what heads you choose.

Dennis
Old 09-13-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
If you have fairly good bearing edges and most importantly, know how to tune, you've basically won the battle no matter what heads you choose.

Dennis
What are the characteristics of a good bearing edge? Should it be sharp and defined or more beveled? If there are blemishes is it recommendable to try to sand them smooth?