DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #201  
Old 09-09-2012, 11:12 PM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,760
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Just read this:
The past few decades have hollowed out the once-mighty American middle-class - while in 1970, the middle-class earned 62 per cent of the nation's income, by 2010 that proportion had shrunk to 45 per cent. The income share earnt by the top income bracket, meanwhile (these figures come from a Pew Research Centre report released last month), has gone from 29 per cent to 46 per cent.
and it made me think of George Carlin (language alert) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsL6mKxtOlQ
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #202  
Old 09-09-2012, 11:15 PM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,698
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Edit: Larry, that thing looks hideous.
Polly, let me tell you, they are TO DIE FOR. And you probably will die if you eat a lot of them. But still.
Reply With Quote
  #203  
Old 09-10-2012, 07:53 AM
con struct's Avatar
con struct con struct is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lumpen post-industrial district
Posts: 2,136
Default Re: Random Thoughts

I need glasses to see, and now I need them to read. You can't believe what a hassle that is. I don't know if I'll ever get used to it.
__________________
Call me J
Reply With Quote
  #204  
Old 09-10-2012, 08:28 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,760
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Polly, let me tell you, they are TO DIE FOR. And you probably will die if you eat a lot of them. But still.
I might just look for another way of dying, Lar. I'm thinking starvation might be preferable!

J, I've worn glasses almost every day since 1968. I tried contacts for a couple of years and I found that sticking my finger in my eye every morning not to my liking. Especially annoying when you drop a lens and trying to catch a train for work.

Glasses are so much easier - pop them on in the morning, take them off for bed. No cleaning with saline solution - just a quick wipe with a tissue (or windcheater).
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #205  
Old 09-10-2012, 05:33 PM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,633
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Just read this:
The past few decades have hollowed out the once-mighty American middle-class - while in 1970, the middle-class earned 62 per cent of the nation's income, by 2010 that proportion had shrunk to 45 per cent. The income share earnt by the top income bracket, meanwhile (these figures come from a Pew Research Centre report released last month), has gone from 29 per cent to 46 per cent.
and it made me think of George Carlin (language alert) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsL6mKxtOlQ

And the gap gets wider every year.The middle class are vanishing.This trend actually started becoming more prevelent in the early 70's.

My dads company,up and moved to the next state where the tax structure was more corporate friendly.Under corporate re-organization,all employees were fired,and their pension money was used to pay off the companys debt,and moving cost.

Former employees were allowed first pick at jobs in the newly named company,for entry level pay,and reduced benefits.This also saved the company the added expence of re-training their work force.

Believe it or not,most employees decided that the 2 hour commute,and extra gas and tolls were worth it.

Carlin is unfortunately correct.It's the dumbing down of Americans,that allows this to happen.Our education system is failing us in every way possible.Critical thinkers are branded as anti-American.

Just turn on any TV,and watch "reality" shows like Jersey Shore,or Mob Wives.They have now set the bar to an all time low for a standard in what's considered entertainment.

Steve B
Reply With Quote
  #206  
Old 09-10-2012, 05:36 PM
larryz's Avatar
larryz larryz is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,936
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
While we're on the subject of food, here's my favorite local contribution to hot dog cuisine. The original Detroit coney, as served by Lafayette Coney Island:

Even though I';ve been veggie for 20 years, i recall those findly as a kid. My relatives were from Detroit. Coney and a Vernor's (on tap!!) ..
Reply With Quote
  #207  
Old 09-10-2012, 10:18 PM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,633
Default Re: Random Thoughts

That's not a real hot dog:):):).You have to go the the REAL Coney Island in Brooklyn N.Y.,and go the Nathans Famous on the boardwalk,and get them with mustard and saurkraut and a kinish or Nathans Famous fries (chips to my UK buds)

Or go to West 72 street and Broadway in Manhattan and get a Greys Papya dog.Still only 1 dollar US.just don't ask whats in them,and order them like a Buddist..."make me one with everything".:)

I guess,in different parts of the US,we'll still argue over who's got the best BBQ,pizza,fried chicken and hotdogs among other things.

Steve B
Reply With Quote
  #208  
Old 09-10-2012, 10:36 PM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,698
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Right on, larryz! Nothing like a Vernor's.

tamadrm, I think it's funny that they call dogs like the one in my picture Coneys in Michigan but they call 'em Michigans in upstate NY. The crazy world of regional hot dogs.

(I tell the Buddhist joke all the time, except I substitute "Zen Master" :)
Reply With Quote
  #209  
Old 09-11-2012, 01:53 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,760
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
Our education system is failing us in every way possible.Critical thinkers are branded as anti-American.
Same in Oz, thought not as bad thanks (I guess) to a less nation-centric education system, less religious fundamentalism and high numbers of intelligent Chinese and Indians coming here.

For some reason governments think that providing heavily underfunded public schools is a good idea. Nope ... if you're going to run schools, then those schools should be run well. If the nation can't afford it then cut something else (logically, each nation doesn't need more nuclear warheads than is required to destroy the entire world a couple of times ... maybe twice is a good amount, just to make sure the job's done properly).

My thought for the day: I am not coping with all the passwords needed for the dozens of services that require passwords. They say that you shouldn't repeat them ... how do you remember 17 passwords (not to mention usernames and pins)? You can't leave them on your computer or you leave yourself open to hackers. They say you shouldn't write them down because of possible break ins.

I spend half my life contacting service providers asking for replacement passwords.
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #210  
Old 09-11-2012, 02:36 AM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,448
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Password management software like OnePassword are a good idea, Grea.

https://agilebits.com/onepassword

Or for a free option:

http://keepass.info/
__________________
Bring Me Coffee or Tea
Reply With Quote
  #211  
Old 09-11-2012, 03:18 AM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,698
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Happy to see Andy Murray finally win a major. What an incredible match!
Reply With Quote
  #212  
Old 09-11-2012, 03:33 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,760
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Thanks Duncan. I'll give it a go. It can't be worse than what I'm doing now!

Larry, that was a surprise. After the 4th it looked like Murray was going to miss out again. The mental game in tennis singles is hard to keep together.
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #213  
Old 09-11-2012, 03:47 AM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,448
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Happy to see Andy Murray finally win a major. What an incredible match!
I was here listening to it. I really didn't think he'd do it. I thought Djokovic had the edge after the fourth set but Murray played the best tennis of his life in the fifth set. Absolutely destroyed Djokovic. Fantastic!
__________________
Bring Me Coffee or Tea
Reply With Quote
  #214  
Old 09-11-2012, 04:53 AM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, CA
Posts: 3,182
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
That's not a real hot dog:):):).You have to go the the REAL Coney Island in Brooklyn N.Y.,and go the Nathans Famous on the boardwalk,and get them with mustard and saurkraut and a kinish or Nathans Famous fries (chips to my UK buds)

Or go to West 72 street and Broadway in Manhattan and get a Greys Papya dog.Still only 1 dollar US.just don't ask whats in them,and order them like a Buddist..."make me one with everything".:)

I guess,in different parts of the US,we'll still argue over who's got the best BBQ,pizza,fried chicken and hotdogs among other things.

Steve B
We have carne asada. Nuff said.
__________________
5A Sticks--Coated Heads--Acoustic Drums--Cast Bronze Cymbals--Heavy-Duty Hardware
Reply With Quote
  #215  
Old 09-11-2012, 03:20 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 13,189
Default Re: Random Thoughts

I walked out of a gig yesterday. Without playing. Some guy who I've done a few one off gigs with in the past called me up for a gig at a restaurant. I walked in with my kick drum, and there literally was no possible place to set up a band. The owner wanted the whole band to set up on a 4 foot by 5 foot stairway landing. I looked around at an empty room with no place to set up and told the guy who hired me (who is just a lousy example of a human being) "I can't believe you drug me out here. This is a joke. I'm outta here" And left.

Boy did that feel good, as this guy is just a nasty person. He deserved it. It's not like this place ever had a band before, they have not. This was a first attempt. The owner was joking about one guy on one landing, and another guy on another landing 50 feet away, and another on a balcony. That's when I made an executive decision to bail, with some pointed words too.

I'm sick of being so nicey nicey in these situations. I had just battled some terrible traffic to get there, no place to park, no place to set up. F that. He wasted a bunch of my time and gas. I'll never work with that guy again. No loss really, he's an A hole anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #216  
Old 09-11-2012, 08:39 PM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,633
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
We have carne asada. Nuff said.
I was in Sacramento a few years back,and there was a hot dog vendor in the street outside the convention center,so I figuered I'd try one.Very spicy but it was a really good dog.More like a sausage actually.

A year later,I was in Paris,where there's some of the best food on the planet and of course had to try the dogs there.Well,strange as it may seem.....it tasted just like the Sacramento dog.

We too have great carne asada.There's a place not far from me called Jose Tejas,that has some of the best Mexican/Spanish/Cuban food I've ever had,including a Cubano sandwich that you would kill for.Corona on tap......heaven.:)

Steve B
Reply With Quote
  #217  
Old 09-11-2012, 08:46 PM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,633
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I walked out of a gig yesterday. Without playing. Some guy who I've done a few one off gigs with in the past called me up for a gig at a restaurant. I walked in with my kick drum, and there literally was no possible place to set up a band. The owner wanted the whole band to set up on a 4 foot by 5 foot stairway landing. I looked around at an empty room with no place to set up and told the guy who hired me (who is just a lousy example of a human being) "I can't believe you drug me out here. This is a joke. I'm outta here" And left.

Boy did that feel good, as this guy is just a nasty person. He deserved it. It's not like this place ever had a band before, they have not. This was a first attempt. The owner was joking about one guy on one landing, and another guy on another landing 50 feet away, and another on a balcony. That's when I made an executive decision to bail, with some pointed words too.

I'm sick of being so nicey nicey in these situations. I had just battled some terrible traffic to get there, no place to park, no place to set up. F that. He wasted a bunch of my time and gas. I'll never work with that guy again. No loss really, he's an A hole anyway.
And I'll bet he was ugly,and his mama dressed him funny.I know exactly how you feel.I'll bet when he was a kid, his parents had to tie a pork chop around his neck just to get the dog to play with him.:)

Steve B
Reply With Quote
  #218  
Old 09-11-2012, 08:55 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,231
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I walked out of a gig yesterday. Without playing.
Good on you Larry. Of course, you'll get the "a gig's a gig" brigade chirping away, but sometimes it's just not viable.

I had to waste several hours of my time at a passport office yesterday (about 1.5 hours drive from my house). It just happened to be near a gigging venue we have booked in November, so I went to check it out. Big enough room & stage, but the owner was being an A hole. The whole place has "cabaret centric" written all over it. I've seen Youtube videos of acts playing there, & they're lame to say the least. I'm just getting a hint that lame actually goes down well there, & our kind of show will be frowned upon. Conservative with a big "C". I think they booked the wrong band, so currently contemplating bailing out :(
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old 09-11-2012, 09:11 PM
nhzoso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Random Thoughts

I just discovered Newcastle Beer last week... mmmmmm mmmmm good. Usually not a Brown ale fan but these are really tasty and not hoppy.
Reply With Quote
  #220  
Old 09-11-2012, 09:44 PM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,633
Default Re: Random Thoughts

We are the willing,led by the unknowing,doing the impossible for the ungrateful.We have done so much,with so little,for so long,that we are now qualified to do anything,with nothing.

The above was read at the day tour roll call,by the Deputy Warden tour commander at the Rikers Island House of Detention for Men.This was my first day as a Correction Officer back in 1979.I don't know why,but I always remembered this,and found it apropos for many situations.

Needless to say,after 3 years of doing that job,when the NYPD called....I went to where I belonged.

Steve B
Reply With Quote
  #221  
Old 09-11-2012, 09:50 PM
dmacc's Avatar
dmacc dmacc is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,421
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
And the gap gets wider every year.The middle class are vanishing.This trend actually started becoming more prevelent in the early 70's.

My dads company,up and moved to the next state where the tax structure was more corporate friendly.Under corporate re-organization,all employees were fired,and their pension money was used to pay off the companys debt,and moving cost.

Former employees were allowed first pick at jobs in the newly named company,for entry level pay,and reduced benefits.This also saved the company the added expence of re-training their work force.

Believe it or not,most employees decided that the 2 hour commute,and extra gas and tolls were worth it.

Carlin is unfortunately correct.It's the dumbing down of Americans,that allows this to happen.Our education system is failing us in every way possible.Critical thinkers are branded as anti-American.

Just turn on any TV,and watch "reality" shows like Jersey Shore,or Mob Wives.They have now set the bar to an all time low for a standard in what's considered entertainment.

Steve B
+ 1

Which ties in nicely for with my post for today... Being on the short end of the off shoring jobs syndrome is no fun.
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 09-11-2012, 11:40 PM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,448
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Good on you Larry. Of course, you'll get the "a gig's a gig" brigade chirping away, but sometimes it's just not viable.

I had to waste several hours of my time at a passport office yesterday (about 1.5 hours drive from my house). It just happened to be near a gigging venue we have booked in November, so I went to check it out. Big enough room & stage, but the owner was being an A hole. The whole place has "cabaret centric" written all over it. I've seen Youtube videos of acts playing there, & they're lame to say the least. I'm just getting a hint that lame actually goes down well there, & our kind of show will be frowned upon. Conservative with a big "C". I think they booked the wrong band, so currently contemplating bailing out :(
Conservative Club by any chance?

I don't think there's any amount of money that would make me play in a Tory Hothouse!

-Other political positions aside from my own are available, I will just think you're wrong.-
__________________
Bring Me Coffee or Tea
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 09-12-2012, 12:03 AM
OrangeAgent27's Avatar
OrangeAgent27 OrangeAgent27 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Marylandistan
Posts: 514
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
That's not a real hot dog:):):).You have to go the the REAL Coney Island in Brooklyn N.Y.,and go the Nathans Famous on the boardwalk,and get them with mustard and saurkraut and a kinish or Nathans Famous fries (chips to my UK buds)
The Detroit Coney IS the REAL coney, you silly lad. It originated in Detroit (from the Hungarians, I believe). Anyhow, the more you know..
__________________
OA27
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 09-12-2012, 12:13 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,231
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Conservative Club by any chance?

I don't think there's any amount of money that would make me play in a Tory Hothouse!

-Other political positions aside from my own are available, I will just think you're wrong.-
No, not a Conservative club, just a city centre bar in Newport that has "bands" Friday & Saturday. Here's one of the better examples of their staple entertainment. At least the act's "bouncing" ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb_7AmZX3Cg
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 09-12-2012, 12:19 AM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,448
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
No, not a Conservative club, just a city centre bar in Newport that has "bands" Friday & Saturday. Here's one of the better examples of their staple entertainment. At least the act's "bouncing" ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb_7AmZX3Cg
That cannot be unseen.
__________________
Bring Me Coffee or Tea
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 09-12-2012, 12:21 AM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 13,189
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Too bad Dunc. In America, it's showing bouncing boobies.
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 09-12-2012, 12:25 AM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,448
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Too bad Dunc. In America, it's showing bouncing boobies.
That's what I used to see before the ex and I...

Yeah. Stop right there.
__________________
Bring Me Coffee or Tea
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 09-12-2012, 12:33 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,231
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Too bad Dunc. In America, it's showing bouncing boobies.
Interesting combo with the band's name ;)
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 09-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Swiss Matthias's Avatar
Swiss Matthias Swiss Matthias is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,646
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Well they do groove, don't they?
The drummer stole either Sticks' or Naigewron's kit!! :)
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 09-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,760
Default Re: Random Thoughts

I liked them ... the vocalist strikes me as a character. Good on her.

Finally got the house's ceiling cleaned out today - probably the first time it's been cleaned since it was built in the 1950s. Cost $880 and worth every cent if it clears up this respiratory problem I've had since I loved into the place.
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #231  
Old 09-12-2012, 11:46 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,231
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
Well they do groove, don't they?
Yes, as I pointed out, one of the "better" examples. Drummer's pretty good :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
The drummer stole either Sticks' or Naigewron's kit!! :)
Missed that first time round. This time, I caught a reflection that I thought was the dressing room door, turns out it's a Mapex badge ;)
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 09-13-2012, 03:57 AM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, CA
Posts: 3,182
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAgent27 View Post
The Detroit Coney IS the REAL coney, you silly lad. It originated in Detroit (from the Hungarians, I believe). Anyhow, the more you know..
Didn't know that, but I know that hot dogs originated at Lambeau Field in Green Bay. They were originally sold as "hot dachsunds", which got shortened to dogs. I'd imagine if the Coney came from Hungarian origins, they probably used a goulash recipe, which probably somewhere along the way became chili. But I'm just guessing.
__________________
5A Sticks--Coated Heads--Acoustic Drums--Cast Bronze Cymbals--Heavy-Duty Hardware
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 09-13-2012, 05:59 AM
Zickos's Avatar
Zickos Zickos is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,049
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
While we're on the subject of food, here's my favorite local contribution to hot dog cuisine. The original Detroit coney, as served by Lafayette Coney Island:

When I saw this, I could not only smell it but taste it, too!
__________________
Drums are the best psychiatry
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 09-13-2012, 06:10 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 9,885
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Man, I want a bloody cigarette!!!
A little over a week and a half and I'm gagging. Thought it was meant to get easier?!?!?!

That hot dog is timely. I just watched the show where that fat guy takes on various "all you can eat" food challenges etc and they featured those very dogs from Lafayette in the prelude (fwiw, too many onions for my liking). Then he sat down and proceeded to gorge himself stupid on a mountainous plate of some chili infested muck. Man can that dude eat or what?
__________________
What's the best cape for running away from a gig?
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old 09-13-2012, 07:10 AM
aydee aydee is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,312
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Man, I want a bloody cigarette!!!
A little over a week and a half and I'm gagging. Thought it was meant to get easier?!?!?!
Zyban. Doctor prescribed. It numbs the nerve that connects your organoleptics to the brain- the cravings-

its the only thing that killed the cravings for me. Its a 2 week thing. I quit, and if a jellyfish like me can do it, anybody can.

...
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 09-13-2012, 09:01 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,760
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Man, I want a bloody cigarette!!!
A little over a week and a half and I'm gagging. Thought it was meant to get easier?!?!?!
Boy, do I know that feeling! Deadly, isn't it? If not for a bit of baccy in the mull I'd be a basket case. Dreading stopping that, and I know I should do it pretty soon. My plan is spend a week on a health retreat for a detox.


Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Zyban. Doctor prescribed. It numbs the nerve that connects your organoleptics to the brain- the cravings-

its the only thing that killed the cravings for me.
Zyban might just work for Pocket. Thanks to my colourful history of mental illness and personality disorders my doc felt Zyban would be risky for me. My plan is to join a gym and get someone to devise the kind of torture regimine that I don't have the willpower to impose on myself. Don't know if it will help quit anything but I'll be healthier.
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old 09-13-2012, 03:14 PM
nhzoso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Man, I want a bloody cigarette!!!
A little over a week and a half and I'm gagging. Thought it was meant to get easier?!?!?!
Yeah I know that feeling, I quit for the 6th time 14 months ago. I tried zyban, wellbutrin, and they only temporarily worked.


I used Chantix and quit for 6 months but started smoking again soon after stopping the pill. Chantix was good but man I had some really horrible sicko dreams. Hard to believe that stuff came from my mind, I told my wife about one of them and she slept on the couch for a few days.

This last time I just quit cold turkey, I have not had a craving for 6 months now. You will quit when your really ready, Every time I tried quitting before it was for someone else or for some other reason. This time I really wanted to stop for myself and so far so good. Every time I see someone smoking now it disgusts me and I swore I would not become that kind of ex-smoker but maybe to be successful ya have to? Cravings get less frequent the longer you stick it out.
Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old 09-13-2012, 04:23 PM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,760
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
Every time I see someone smoking now it disgusts me and I swore I would not become that kind of ex-smoker but maybe to be successful ya have to?
I've wondered about that. It would be good to have the option of being a tolerant ex smoker but I think you need a bit of aggro to get over the hump of addiction. When I've quit I've needed to psyche up. Really struggling since dropping to the 7mg patches. "Cheating" far too much!
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old 09-13-2012, 05:19 PM
larryz's Avatar
larryz larryz is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,936
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Yes, as I pointed out, one of the "better" examples. Drummer's pretty good :)

Missed that first time round. This time, I caught a reflection that I thought was the dressing room door, turns out it's a Mapex badge ;)
I may regret this but I hear Sticks is lurking under a new name again... I miss his rants :)
Reply With Quote
  #240  
Old 09-14-2012, 01:47 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 9,885
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Thanks for all the tips men and women. Hmm....drugs in order to give up another drug? I like it a lot!! You guys sound just like my kinda crew....we should hang out more often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
This last time I just quit cold turkey,
This is a big one for me. It's a matter of pride you see. The good wife quit cold turkey.....as did my best mate. I'd never live it down if I resorted to drugs or patches. It would be opening the door to scorn and ridicule. And quite rightly so, I know I would if the shoe was on the other foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
If not for a bit of baccy in the mull I'd be a basket case. Dreading stopping that, and I know I should do it pretty soon.
Drinking from that fountain has been far less frequent since about Feb this year, Pol. But once I've given up the fags for good I have a very cunning plan to circumvent it. One of these days we'll have to have a discussion on the merits of the vapouriser. :-)
__________________
What's the best cape for running away from a gig?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com