DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 09-06-2012, 05:48 PM

Default Qs about Dave Grohl's usage of head dampening

I was curious about Dave Grohl's usage of head dampening on the kit he uses for Them Crook Vultures, as seen in the picture below. Are those Moongels cut up and placed evenly around the head? What is the benefit of placing them even around the head like that? Has anyone done this and what was the verdict? Do the snare and rack tom Moongels look too close to the edge to dampen much?

I'll test this out next time I get to my kit, but I am curious on others experience and related suggestions.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Qs about Dave Grohl's usage of head dampening

Its possible that that moongel config was only like that that one night... One of the selling points of moongel is that it gives you an easily adjustable amount of dampening so that you can adjust your sound for the room you're playing in. Finding some magical moongel arrangement won't make you sound like Dave Grohl :)
Old 09-06-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuo View Post
Its possible that that moongel config was only like that that one night... One of the selling points of moongel is that it gives you an easily adjustable amount of dampening so that you can adjust your sound for the room you're playing in. Finding some magical moongel arrangement won't make you sound like Dave Grohl :)
Regardless of whether it was a one-night or an every-night thing, I'm trying to gather a reasoning / education for the Moongel configuration that he used and any other dampening suggestions, as well. I'm big into experimenting with the tuning and dampening of my kit.

Don't we all wish there was a magical something to make us sound like Grohl. Instead, here in the real world, I've got to settle for my own sound :( However, making my kit sound as good as possible is not a bad goal to shoot for.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

I have no idea, but if I'm asked to use moongels to dampen my toms, I try to space them evenly around the drum like Grohl does in that photo. I don't know if the physics back me up, but it makes sense to me to do this. Clustering them all on one side of the drum seems like it would create an unnecessary imbalance.

Regarding how close they are to the edge, I would guess that this is a way to manipulate the amount of dampening. The closer to the center, the more effect they have on dampening the drum. I generally try to do the same thing.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member

Those are moongels. Placed symmetrically around the drum they were clearly looking to really control sound in the studio.
I am forever amazed at how high Grohl has his hihats relative to the snare level in all his setups.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
I am forever amazed at how high Grohl has his hihats relative to the snare level in all his setups.

Interesting that you mention that. That is exactly the reason why I Googled images of Dave Grohl's kit in the first place. I wanted to see different shots/angles of his hi-hats. He places them almost at shoulder height. He's somewhat of a heavy hitter and I imagine that he goes through sticks quickly with that hi-hat height.

Regardless of his hi-hats, I've got to say that kit there is absolutely beautiful.

BTW - 8Mile and opentune, thanks for the suggestions and insight to your opinions on Moongels.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Yeah, and more amazing is how low his throne height is. Did you notice that? Hawkins does the same, they sit incredibly low, with their kness leveled above their waist.

Anyway, they're awesome.

Sorry for the off-topic.

Cheers.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Silver Member

I can't understand why he would need all that moongel AND ALL THAT TAPE ON HIS RESOS!!!
Old 09-06-2012, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull View Post
I can't understand why he would need all that moongel AND ALL THAT TAPE ON HIS RESOS!!!
Honestly I think its all the sound engineers who ask to gob that stuff on. No doubt experts on here can comment. Levon Helm (RIP) was also a big fan of dampening down things with tape, allover the place.

Regarding throne height- yes I noticed that too, he and Hawkins. Very low in the kit and they violate the ergonomic rule of thighs parallel to floor. But maybe it just feels better for them, especially the hard-hitting style they play. I started out playing low in the kit, then read about this rule and discovered why my thighs and knees hurt so much after band rehearsal.

Again the low throne makes a high hi hat even more difficult to understand.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:09 AM
Silver Member

He uses a lot of dampening... so that his drums don't sound like drums. Might as well put mics on a bunch of cardboard boxes.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjogras View Post
He uses a lot of dampening... so that his drums don't sound like drums. Might as well put mics on a bunch of cardboard boxes.
hmmm, i dunno. sounds like drums to me. turn it up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZat5RwOHYc
Old 09-07-2012, 01:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Honestly I think its all the sound engineers who ask to gob that stuff on..
For state of the art systems,large halls, and pro engineers,that's an excessive amount of muffling for a live situation. I can only assume they were trying to recreate the somewhat garage(ish) drum tone on the album. It seems like a waste of really nice drums.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:46 AM
Silver Member

My roommate just said that Dave is trying to prove how Punk Rawk he still is by covering his $10K set in tape! Lol!
Old 09-07-2012, 04:49 AM
Silver Member

They're spaced out that evenly because he's OCD.