DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-04-2012, 05:37 PM
howidied howidied is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 51
Default Diet and Drummiong

hey, i go to to the gym now and then doing some bodybuilding stuff and at the moment im trying to lean out which means cutting back on those calories and especially carbs which are pretty low, how do u think cutting these little guys would affect your drumming since its something like a fuel for your brain? any thoughts? could it hurt my drumming for a while?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-04-2012, 06:05 PM
Arky's Avatar
Arky Arky is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,048
Default Re: Diet and Drummiong

You said it yourself - we need carbos. So why cutting back? I'd rather cut back the total of calories.

Hey, send a PM to forum member Tkav1980 and ask him to participate in this thread. He's a pro bodybuilder and great expert on everything involved, including diet.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-04-2012, 06:19 PM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Florida's West Coast
Posts: 15,644
Default Re: Diet and Drummiong

I am in a program at work now for my wieght and am trying to watch my carbs but the whole science or data out there is very confusing. My health coach tells me to eat 200 carbs a day when most food labels tell you to eat 100. My health coach tells me we need 200 for brain food and for not having mood swings etc, then I read where that concept is a bunch of bunk. so I don't know. My wellness coach is a registered dietician and should know but I am confused. Eat in moderation. Burn more than or eactly what you eat in calories and you should be fine.
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Gretsch Renown
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-04-2012, 06:35 PM
larryz's Avatar
larryz larryz is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,911
Default Re: Diet and Drummiong

Eat live food. Fruits and veggies. Along with plants/veggie based nutritional supplements. Spring water. Moderate exercise. Portion control. Everything witll be fine.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-04-2012, 06:49 PM
JasperGTR JasperGTR is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 359
Default Re: Diet and Drummiong

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
Eat live food. Fruits and veggies. Along with plants/veggie based nutritional supplements. Spring water. Moderate exercise. Portion control. Everything witll be fine.
When eating meats, though, I take exception to this... I tend to not eat it while still alive, makes quite a mess, and attracts unwanted attention of people sitting next to me.

I've actually started exercising recently, just to stay in shape longer to benefit my band playing. ...not as young as I once was.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-05-2012, 12:48 AM
slowrocker's Avatar
slowrocker slowrocker is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 550
Default Re: Diet and Drummiong

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperGTR View Post
When eating meats, though, I take exception to this... I tend to not eat it while still alive, makes quite a mess, and attracts unwanted attention of people sitting next to me.

I've actually started exercising recently, just to stay in shape longer to benefit my band playing. ...not as young as I once was.
Funny. Yeah there isn't much worse though that getting tired after one hard song and still having to play. Btw have any of you heard of the mad drummer? I saw him and it was sick how much he jerked his arms around.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-05-2012, 05:52 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is online now
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 13,893
Default Re: Diet and Drummiong

Diet is so important to everything. The older you get, the more bad nutrition affects you.
Eating unprocessed food makes me feel my very best. I'm finding out that gluten has a very negative effect on many people. If you have strange, seemingly unrelated health issues, try eliminating gluten from your diet. it made a world of difference in my own wife.

Wheat has gluten. A lot of people can't tolerate gluten from genetically un-modified wheat. The gluten in the genetically modified wheat seems to be affecting more and more people who otherwise could tolerate it.

Trying to get food that is not genetically modified....I'm not sure you can. The seed supply is controlled by a few multi-nationals, Monsanto and Con Agra are two.

The people who control the food supply...should be scrutinized more than anyone in the world. But that won't happen because the people who run the planet control these companies. We are their human experiment on genetically modified food. We don't even have a choice in the matter, unless you somehow get seed from genetically un-modified food and grow your own. Not bloody likely.

The FDA does not require labels to reveal genetically modified food. That's criminal IMO. Monsanto is allowed to police themselves. Are they serious? That's like putting the fox in charge of the henhouse. It's worse than corruption to the core, it's perverse. They can do whatever they please.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-05-2012, 06:06 PM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,583
Default Re: Diet and Drummiong

I don't actually have any issues with genetically-modified food, based on the fact that humans have been using selective breeding techniques since the very beginning of agriculture and genetic-modification is just an advanced form of selection. It also has a higher predictability and is more controlled. That's an argument for another day.

I'm also going to state my interest here as being a vegetarian. I would never try to persuade anybody else to become a vegetarian because it's a deeply personal choice and unless there is a medical reason to become one then everybody's reasons are going to be different. It will also affect people differently.

As for the best dietary advice I can give? Moderation. Despite all of the recent dietary fads (Atkins, GI, etc) the most appropriate diet is one that provides you with the balance of what you need on a daily basis without too much excess and to eat regularly. Smaller quantities of higher-quality food will be much more fulfilling than large portions of poor-quality food and may well save you money as well. Vegetables, fruits, protein (in whatever form, meat or otherwise) some fat (it's very important in a balanced diet) and some calories. Just don't do anything in excess.

I'm also a terrible one for following my own advice.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-05-2012, 07:21 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is online now
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 13,893
Default Re: Diet and Drummiong

When they start inserting animal genes into plant dna I get concerned. That's not the way nature intended things.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-05-2012, 07:29 PM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,583
Default Re: Diet and Drummiong

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
When they start inserting animal genes into plant dna I get concerned. That's not the way nature intended things.
I can understand that concern, Larry although I disagree.

DNA in and of itself is not fundamentally different between plants and animals in terms of its structure and composition. It still consists of the four nucleotide bases arranged in different patterns to create genes, so on that scale I see no difference. On a cellular level there are fundamental differences between plants and animals (cell structure is vastly different) but what forms those cells is exactly the same. On that basis, I don't see any profound difference.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-05-2012, 09:06 PM
larryz's Avatar
larryz larryz is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,911
Default Re: Diet and Drummiong

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Diet is so important to everything. The older you get, the more bad nutrition affects you.
Eating unprocessed food makes me feel my very best. I'm finding out that gluten has a very negative effect on many people. If you have strange, seemingly unrelated health issues, try eliminating gluten from your diet. it made a world of difference in my own wife.

Wheat has gluten. A lot of people can't tolerate gluten from genetically un-modified wheat. The gluten in the genetically modified wheat seems to be affecting more and more people who otherwise could tolerate it.

Trying to get food that is not genetically modified....I'm not sure you can. The seed supply is controlled by a few multi-nationals, Monsanto and Con Agra are two.

The people who control the food supply...should be scrutinized more than anyone in the world. But that won't happen because the people who run the planet control these companies. We are their human experiment on genetically modified food. We don't even have a choice in the matter, unless you somehow get seed from genetically un-modified food and grow your own. Not bloody likely.

The FDA does not require labels to reveal genetically modified food. That's criminal IMO. Monsanto is allowed to police themselves. Are they serious? That's like putting the fox in charge of the henhouse. It's worse than corruption to the core, it's perverse. They can do whatever they please.
Agree 100%. The United States is the only country that does not required genetically modified food to be labeled. It's a free for all. My theory is if GMOs are harmless as they say, what is there to worry?

Same issue with vaccines. If they really are sfafe - despite the fact many contain mercury, lead, aluminum, aborted human fetal tissue - then why did the US govt pass a law preventing citizens from suing the manufacturers?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-05-2012, 09:40 PM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Florida's West Coast
Posts: 15,644
Default Re: Diet and Drummiong

I'm not sure about the rest of the world markets but my son has gotten me to shop the outside perifery(sp) of the store. Veggies on the right, meats, fish in the back, eggs cheeses on the left side of the store. there are a few exceptions....but in general this seems to work
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Gretsch Renown
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-05-2012, 10:41 PM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,583
Default Re: Diet and Drummiong

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
Agree 100%. The United States is the only country that does not required genetically modified food to be labeled. It's a free for all. My theory is if GMOs are harmless as they say, what is there to worry?

Same issue with vaccines. If they really are sfafe - despite the fact many contain mercury, lead, aluminum, aborted human fetal tissue - then why did the US govt pass a law preventing citizens from suing the manufacturers?
I'm sorry but I have a real issue with the 'Anti-Vaccine' crowd.

I the UK a few years ago, a Doctor published an article in 'The Lancet' that tried to claim that there was a link between a combined measles, mumps and rubella vaccine and autism. As a result, parents stopped their children having that vaccine. Now, a decade later the prevalence of measles has increased significantly despite the original research being totally discredited, withdrawn and the researcher in question kicked off the medical register. The study was completely bogus and now as a result there are a number of children in the UK whose lives have been put at risk directly as a result of ridiculous scaremongering.

As for the growth medium for vaccination, that is a complex ethical issue in and of itself which I don't think this forum really should be a platform for debating. I will just say though that as a result of vaccination programmes in a number of different countries, many diseases and illnesses have been significantly reduced and in some cases (e.g. Smallpox) have been totally eradicated. In the case of smallpox, there is actually no requirement to vaccinate any more because the pathogen has been totally wiped out in the wild.

Not vaccinating reduces the so-called 'Herd Immunity' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_immunity) which can do significant damage to populations and can promote epidemic and pandemic outbreaks.

Needless to say I think that vaccination is one of the great wonders of medical science and has saved and improved countless millions of lives. Without it, life expectancy would be much lower. If no vaccination were available in your country, then it would make a significant impact to your quality of life and it frustrates me that we take it so for-granted.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-05-2012, 11:31 PM
larryz's Avatar
larryz larryz is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,911
Default Re: Diet and Drummiong

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
I'm sorry but I have a real issue with the 'Anti-Vaccine' crowd.

I the UK a few years ago, a Doctor published an article in 'The Lancet' that tried to claim that there was a link between a combined measles, mumps and rubella vaccine and autism. As a result, parents stopped their children having that vaccine. Now, a decade later the prevalence of measles has increased significantly despite the original research being totally discredited, withdrawn and the researcher in question kicked off the medical register. The study was completely bogus and now as a result there are a number of children in the UK whose lives have been put at risk directly as a result of ridiculous scaremongering.

As for the growth medium for vaccination, that is a complex ethical issue in and of itself which I don't think this forum really should be a platform for debating. I will just say though that as a result of vaccination programmes in a number of different countries, many diseases and illnesses have been significantly reduced and in some cases (e.g. Smallpox) have been totally eradicated. In the case of smallpox, there is actually no requirement to vaccinate any more because the pathogen has been totally wiped out in the wild.

Not vaccinating reduces the so-called 'Herd Immunity' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_immunity) which can do significant damage to populations and can promote epidemic and pandemic outbreaks.

Needless to say I think that vaccination is one of the great wonders of medical science and has saved and improved countless millions of lives. Without it, life expectancy would be much lower. If no vaccination were available in your country, then it would make a significant impact to your quality of life and it frustrates me that we take it so for-granted.
I respect your opinion. But research shows that most diseases were on the way out when the vaccines came in. And most children getting measles, mumps, etc. today have actually had the vaccine to begin with. And getting these mild diseases anyway results in lifetime immunity, so there's no point in getting the vaccines and risking your kid's health. When most of us were small we had 1-3 vaccines at most. We just got the diseases, which were really just inconvenient and harmless (few days out of school), then lifetime immunity. Children in the US now had 81+ vaccines and counting by the time they're 18. Totally ridiculous and evidence of drug company's powerfuil influence in American politics.
I totally believe that vaccines have caused autism. 100%. Now 3rd world countries are a different story. Anyway, sorry to rant.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-06-2012, 12:28 AM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,583
Default Re: Diet and Drummiong

So you're willing to buy into a study that's been absolutely discredited and removed from prominent medical journals such as 'The Lancet'? In that instance it was clear that a pressure group actually funded the research.

If you're going to talk about research, then I'm going to ask you to cite sources. Smallpox was an enormous epidemic before vaccines came in. Polio was an enormous problem, even in the developed World. Measles has made a comeback due to falling rates of vaccination because of bad science and media scaremongering.

Sorry but the weight of evidence just isn't on your side.

Just so I have something to cite:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polio_vaccine

It's not an opinion. It's a matter of fact. I also have family members that are autistic so I have a vested interest in the discredited research.

EDIT: Just for some more information:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Investigations by Sunday Times journalist Brian Deer revealed that the lead author of the article, Andrew Wakefield, had multiple undeclared conflicts of interest,[2][3] had manipulated evidence,[4] and had broken other ethical codes. The Lancet paper was partially retracted in 2004 and fully retracted in 2010, and Wakefield was found guilty by the General Medical Council of serious professional misconduct in May 2010 and was struck off the Medical Register, meaning he could no longer practice as a doctor.[5] The research was declared fraudulent in 2011 by the BMJ.[6] The scientific consensus is that no evidence links the vaccine to the development of autism and that the vaccine's benefits greatly outweigh its risks.
Furthermore:

http://www.bmj.com/content/342/bmj.c7452.full

Are you trying to say that Polio, Smallpox, Typhoid, Rubella, Scarlet Fever, Yellow Fever, Tetanus and Measles are 'minor'? No. They're absolute killers.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com