DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #161  
Old 09-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Swiss Matthias's Avatar
Swiss Matthias Swiss Matthias is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,637
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Thruth DED!





....so should I go practice now and eat lunch late, or eat lunch early and go practice afterwards?
Have to pack up my gear for my wedding gig tonight, too.
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 09-02-2012, 11:26 PM
MaryO's Avatar
MaryO MaryO is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,943
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Just bought some new purple dipped Zildjian sticks....sweet! :).
__________________
I am deluded enough to think I can bring something to the table - Huey Lewis.
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 09-03-2012, 01:56 AM
Jeremy Bender's Avatar
Jeremy Bender Jeremy Bender is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gulf Coast USA
Posts: 2,094
Default Re: Random Thoughts

The "professor" expounds on 'molecularization'... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTJsb...feature=relmfu
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 09-03-2012, 03:03 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,738
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
But I leave you with this:

Supply and demand, DED, I doubt that many kids dream of one day becoming plumbers.

Scientists and graphic designers are paid meanly for the amount of skill expected from them too. Accountants and lawyers are paid well - horrible, boring, difficult jobs so not many people are up for it. I think of it as them getting a bonus for putting up their hand to do society's "dirty work". And yes, I remember that you're an accountant haha ... I did "dirty work" too - stats does most people's head in but since my head's already done in I had nothing to lose :)
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 09-03-2012, 03:09 AM
slowrocker's Avatar
slowrocker slowrocker is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 552
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I have a cold, in the summer no less, which is why I've not been able to participate in the money beat thread.

But I leave you with this:

That's awesome. I totally never thought of that.
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 09-03-2012, 10:05 PM
con struct's Avatar
con struct con struct is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lumpen post-industrial district
Posts: 2,135
Default Re: Random Thoughts

I bought three pairs of reading glasses at the dollar store, one for each floor of the house.
__________________
Call me J
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 09-03-2012, 11:10 PM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,438
Default Re: Random Thoughts

I hate filling in forms. Especially ones that ask me probing questions about my illness...
__________________
Bring Me Coffee or Tea
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 09-04-2012, 12:34 AM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is online now
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 13,097
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Speaking of illness....The bass player in my main band had a mild heart attack on stage last night. He had to stop playing. He was sweating like a madman, pulse racing, with what he said felt like a huge weight on his chest. We laid him down in a car outside, gave him a few aspirins to chew and called for help. He was taken by ambulance to a hospital 5 minutes away where they heart cathed him, and in 2 hours they had stents in. Luckily he is OK today. It was at my weekly open mic hosting thing and there were other guys to cover him. That was a first.
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 09-04-2012, 12:37 AM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,438
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Glad to hear he's ok. That must've been a horrible experience but you guys did the best you could and he's pulled through. Well done.

I'm now going to be absolutely non-PC. Forgive me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9ju80SMWZY
__________________
Bring Me Coffee or Tea
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 09-04-2012, 03:37 AM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,679
Default Re: Random Thoughts

I really need to replace the bite guard I wear at night to stop me from grinding teeth while I sleep. But I'm too lazy to go through the process of boiling it in water to make it malleable and go through the fitting process.
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 09-04-2012, 04:33 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,738
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Speaking of illness....The bass player in my main band had a mild heart attack on stage last night. He had to stop playing.
Unprofessional! The show must always go on!

Black humour out of the way, sorry to hear that Larry and I'm glad he's okay now, even though it's just a bassist (sorry, more black humour).

That's wild - a heart attack on stage - something you'd never anticipate.

Staying off the mull today - have some things to get done and I need the clarity.
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 09-04-2012, 06:48 AM
Spesman's Avatar
Spesman Spesman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 73
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Staying off the mull today - have some things to get done and I need the clarity.
I knew there was something about you mate.....hehe. :)
__________________
My band..... www.footvsmouth.com
Me..... www.reverbnation.com/#!/scottcharlesadelaide
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 09-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,738
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spesman View Post
I knew there was something about you mate.....hehe. :)
Curious to know what that "something" is, Spes :) No, really. ... it's interesting to know what others see. BTW, I'm not your mate (having not mated with you) but at around age 40 you're a good age group for me haha (kidding :)

I've been bad ever since I stopped the cigs a couple of months ago - compensating, no doubt. Mum was a chaino and I'm not much better. Thinking of booking myself into a health retreat for a week. Has anyone done that before? Are they any good?

Here's a funny observation about online behaviour (totally unrelated to your post, Spes, I was going to post this link anyway): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K5BEJAdsYA
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 09-04-2012, 05:35 PM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,723
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Supply and demand, DED, I doubt that many kids dream of one day becoming plumbers.
No, most kids don't dream about being a plumber.

But I bet I'd have a lot more money in the bank if I had gone to plumbing school instead of music school when I was younger. LOL.
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 09-04-2012, 05:48 PM
MaryO's Avatar
MaryO MaryO is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,943
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Speaking of illness....The bass player in my main band had a mild heart attack on stage last night. He had to stop playing. He was sweating like a madman, pulse racing, with what he said felt like a huge weight on his chest. We laid him down in a car outside, gave him a few aspirins to chew and called for help. He was taken by ambulance to a hospital 5 minutes away where they heart cathed him, and in 2 hours they had stents in. Luckily he is OK today. It was at my weekly open mic hosting thing and there were other guys to cover him. That was a first.
Hmmm...how much pressure are you putting on these guys at open mic nite??? lol. Seriously though, hope he's doing well. Kind of puts everything into perspective doesn't it?
__________________
I am deluded enough to think I can bring something to the table - Huey Lewis.
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 09-05-2012, 02:20 AM
Spesman's Avatar
Spesman Spesman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 73
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Curious to know what that "something" is, Spes :) No, really. ... it's interesting to know what others see. BTW, I'm not your mate (having not mated with you) but at around age 40 you're a good age group for me haha (kidding :)

I've been bad ever since I stopped the cigs a couple of months ago - compensating, no doubt. Mum was a chaino and I'm not much better. Thinking of booking myself into a health retreat for a week. Has anyone done that before? Are they any good?

Here's a funny observation about online behaviour (totally unrelated to your post, Spes, I was going to post this link anyway): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K5BEJAdsYA
Can I call you dude? What about buddy or pal? Hehe...just messing.
I've smoked the good stuff since I was 18 or so. It relaxes me after a hard day at work. If I didn't unwind in this way, I think I'd end up bringing a gun to work, and no-one needs that!! lol
__________________
My band..... www.footvsmouth.com
Me..... www.reverbnation.com/#!/scottcharlesadelaide
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 09-05-2012, 02:58 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,738
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spesman View Post
Can I call you dude? What about buddy or pal? Hehe...just messing.
I've smoked the good stuff since I was 18 or so. It relaxes me after a hard day at work. If I didn't unwind in this way, I think I'd end up bringing a gun to work, and no-one needs that!! lol
Dude buddy and pal are no go - at least "mate" implies that there's mating going on. You want proof? Football players :) They call each other "mate" all the time and it's obvious that they all really dig that m2m contact after they win or someone scores. Not sure how their wives cope - if I was married to someone who did what they do in public I'd be embarrassed lol

This is what happens when I smoke :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUcBbdICuS8
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 09-05-2012, 05:28 AM
slowrocker's Avatar
slowrocker slowrocker is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 552
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Dude buddy and pal are no go - at least "mate" implies that there's mating going on. You want proof? Football players :) They call each other "mate" all the time and it's obvious that they all really dig that m2m contact after they win or someone scores. Not sure how their wives cope - if I was married to someone who did what they do in public I'd be embarrassed lol

This is what happens when I smoke :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUcBbdICuS8
The difference in guys in sports messing with each other is that it is totally not with any feelings behind that other than just excitement about winning. I bet most of the don't even think about what they are doing or how it looks because they are just messing around.
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 09-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Spesman's Avatar
Spesman Spesman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 73
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Dude buddy and pal are no go - at least "mate" implies that there's mating going on. You want proof? Football players :) They call each other "mate" all the time and it's obvious that they all really dig that m2m contact after they win or someone scores. Not sure how their wives cope - if I was married to someone who did what they do in public I'd be embarrassed lol

This is what happens when I smoke :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUcBbdICuS8
I see your point. I mean, ever watched soccer? Man, those guys are more than just friends I reckon. hehe.

Well, after all that my friend, what is the proper way to address ye? (insert title here). lol
__________________
My band..... www.footvsmouth.com
Me..... www.reverbnation.com/#!/scottcharlesadelaide
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 09-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Mad About Drums's Avatar
Mad About Drums Mad About Drums is offline
Pollyanna's Agent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shropshire, UK
Posts: 5,502
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spesman View Post
I see your point. I mean, ever watched soccer? Man, those guys are more than just friends I reckon. hehe.

Well, after all that my friend, what is the proper way to address ye? (insert title here). lol
Have you try Miss... or Gal... or Darling... or drumming girl... or ??? ...but not "man", that doesn't fit the gender, lol.
__________________
Keep On Drumming
Reply With Quote
  #181  
Old 09-05-2012, 11:02 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,124
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Speaking of illness....The bass player in my main band had a mild heart attack on stage last night. He had to stop playing. He was sweating like a madman, pulse racing, with what he said felt like a huge weight on his chest. We laid him down in a car outside, gave him a few aspirins to chew and called for help. He was taken by ambulance to a hospital 5 minutes away where they heart cathed him, and in 2 hours they had stents in. Luckily he is OK today. It was at my weekly open mic hosting thing and there were other guys to cover him. That was a first.
Terrible :( Been there, done that, got the shirt. Never happened to me on stage, in fact, that episode in my life is what brought me back to drumming. The thinking was, "I'd better take up the drums again whist I still can!" Being given the paddles on stage must be such a dance floor killer ;) Knowing my luck, if that did happen, our lighting guys would time the strobes perfectly for maximum effect :)
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 09-06-2012, 02:27 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,738
Default Re: Random Thoughts

I'm okay with "mate", Spes, I was just making sure you knew which side of the fence I'm on (which isn't obvious from my name or avatar any more).

Henri, in real life I'm relaxed with those kinds of pet names because they will either find out that I'm not as soft as I seem or they'll die stupid ... apparently that was a favoured saying of my paternal grandfather when someone wouldn't listen to reason - "let them die stupid". Such a nice family haha

That intense creative run I had July has dried up. I now have an album's worth of appalling music and I don't have a single idea left. Probably just as well because when I get on a run I live unhealthily, chores are left not done and bills unpaid ... I imagine a fair few of us here go on these unsustainable "benders", either writing, recording or practising.
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 09-06-2012, 03:27 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 9,867
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
BTW, I'm not your mate (having not mated with you)
In my world, everyone is "mate" Pol.....from my wife and daughter, to my old man, to the guy who makes my coffee or pulls my beer, to the stranger on the internet, all the way through to people who are really my "mates".....used gender neutrally to include both men and women......some of said women whom I have mated with, though most who I have not. :-)

Christ, it's all I have to protect me from the embarrassment of being feeble with names.
__________________
What's the best cape for running away from a gig?
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 09-06-2012, 05:11 AM
Spesman's Avatar
Spesman Spesman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 73
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
In my world, everyone is "mate" Pol.....from my wife and daughter, to my old man, to the guy who makes my coffee or pulls my beer, to the stranger on the internet, all the way through to people who are really my "mates".....used gender neutrally to include both men and women......some of said women whom I have mated with, though most who I have not. :-)

Christ, it's all I have to protect me from the embarrassment of being feeble with names.
That's the same reason I call everyone at work either "mate" or "dude". By the time I remember someone's name, they've usually quit.
I think I am without a doubt the worst at remembering names. Then again, I really don't like using peoples' names (if I know them) as I find it too formal.
When I heard my name called when I was a kid, it usually meant that I was in trouble, so I probably associate that with names hehe.
__________________
My band..... www.footvsmouth.com
Me..... www.reverbnation.com/#!/scottcharlesadelaide
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 09-06-2012, 04:16 PM
Zickos's Avatar
Zickos Zickos is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,045
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Glad to hear you're a clean air breather, Pol. You'll not regret it.
__________________
Drums are the best psychiatry
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 09-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,738
Default Re: Random Thoughts

HEY!! SPESMAN!!

Did that send the blood running to your face? :) That's what happened to me when I realised I was in trouble - not sure whether I turned red or pale, not being in a position to see.

Pocket, pleased about your non mating with non wives. It's simpler that way.

I concede the "mate" issue on all points and hitherto withdraw any and all objections, and deeply regret any harm or reputational damage caused by hitherwhereforeartthouromeoto comments.

Zickos, alas, the air I breathe is anything but clean until I get the mould problem sorted (a ceiling cleaner with the full hazmat procedure is coming for initial inspection in 10 hours!). It's gross. No one will visit me until it's fixed and I don't blame them.

Moral of the story is if you ever have a mould problem developing - get it fixed promptly and properly. My dad thought he was being clever by not spending money on it but the mould probably knocked years off his life.
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 09-07-2012, 10:51 PM
larryz's Avatar
larryz larryz is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,936
Default Re: Random Thoughts

It seems like almost all hard pretzels in the U.S. are made in Pennsylvania. I know, the whole Amish thing, but it's still a nice thought. We eat tons of pretzels here!
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 09-07-2012, 11:51 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,124
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
It seems like almost all hard pretzels in the U.S. are made in Pennsylvania. I know, the whole Amish thing, but it's still a nice thought. We eat tons of pretzels here!
I love Pennsylvania, but hate pretzels. Possibly the most benign snack known to man, unless you like cardboard. Ok, you can get a ton of flavourings coated on them, but once it's gone, you're left with that nothingness. I used to dread getting on any American airline, as pretzels were the only pacifier in the face of abject dime pinching,

On the subject of local foods though, I am partial to the very occasional Philly steak :)
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 09-08-2012, 01:04 AM
Mad About Drums's Avatar
Mad About Drums Mad About Drums is offline
Pollyanna's Agent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shropshire, UK
Posts: 5,502
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I love Pennsylvania, but hate pretzels. Possibly the most benign snack known to man, unless you like cardboard. Ok, you can get a ton of flavourings coated on them, but once it's gone, you're left with that nothingness. I used to dread getting on any American airline, as pretzels were the only pacifier in the face of abject dime pinching,

On the subject of local foods though, I am partial to the very occasional Philly steak :)
I'll eat any pretzels before eating pork scratchings, which you do have in the UK, I was introduced to this repulsive snack in a pub (The Six Bells in St Albans, Hertfordshire) years ago, yuk!!! :(

... on the other, a Philly steak sandwich wins hands down on both pretzels and pork scratchings, no competition here... :)
__________________
Keep On Drumming
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 09-08-2012, 01:43 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,124
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
I'll eat any pretzels before eating pork scratchings, which you do have in the UK, I was introduced to this repulsive snack in a pub (The Six Bells in St Albans, Hertfordshire) years ago, yuk!!! :(

... on the other, a Philly steak sandwich wins hands down on both pretzels and pork scratchings, no competition here... :)
I like pork scratchings too :) In fact, I eat all kinds of offal that wouldn't be tolerated much in the US. My favourite of all, & the French absolutely do this the best ------- SNAILS :) I even cook up common garden snails occasionally.

As a child, I used to get a (new) sheer stocking. Make up three different size rings out of willow, & fashion a shrimp net. I'd leave it in a stream all day, then separate out the catch of small brown shrimp. Flash fried & eaten whole, nothing tastes better, & I mean nothing!!!!
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 09-08-2012, 09:23 AM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, CA
Posts: 3,163
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I like pork scratchings too :) In fact, I eat all kinds of offal that wouldn't be tolerated much in the US. My favourite of all, & the French absolutely do this the best ------- SNAILS :) I even cook up common garden snails occasionally.

As a child, I used to get a (new) sheer stocking. Make up three different size rings out of willow, & fashion a shrimp net. I'd leave it in a stream all day, then separate out the catch of small brown shrimp. Flash fried & eaten whole, nothing tastes better, & I mean nothing!!!!
The French eat snails because after the Russians kicked their butts in their attempt to seize Moscow, that's all there was to eat on the way home. To me, snails are what you eat after everything else has been eaten. You start going for the insects.

I've tried some Escargo in a nice restaurant before with my ex and I'll have to admit, it wasn't bad at all.
__________________
5A Sticks--Coated Heads--Acoustic Drums--Cast Bronze Cymbals--Heavy-Duty Hardware
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 09-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Swiss Matthias's Avatar
Swiss Matthias Swiss Matthias is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,637
Default Re: Random Thoughts

The importance (and difficulty) of how to play something and how everything should sound
exactly (as opposed to what to play) gets underestimated.
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 09-08-2012, 10:28 PM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,584
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I love Pennsylvania, but hate pretzels. Possibly the most benign snack known to man, unless you like cardboard. Ok, you can get a ton of flavourings coated on them, but once it's gone, you're left with that nothingness. I used to dread getting on any American airline, as pretzels were the only pacifier in the face of abject dime pinching,

On the subject of local foods though, I am partial to the very occasional Philly steak :)
I'm not a big hard pretzel fan,but in the states,were have pretzels made with rye and pumpernickel flour,which are pretty decent dipped in mustard.I prefer those bid soft chewy pretzels.

We do make a great Philly cheese steak here.The secret is semi frozen rib steak,sliced thin,and Kraft Cheese Wiz.

I do enjoy the occasional freshwater crayfish,and freshwater,as well as saltwater clams and oysters with just a touch of fresh lemon,and coctail sauce.

I'm also a big fish n'chips fan.My friend Sharon,who hails from London,showed me how to do a "proper" batter.

OK...I'm hungry now.:)

Steve B
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 09-08-2012, 10:39 PM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,438
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
The French eat snails because after the Russians kicked their butts in their attempt to seize Moscow, that's all there was to eat on the way home. To me, snails are what you eat after everything else has been eaten. You start going for the insects.

I've tried some Escargo in a nice restaurant before with my ex and I'll have to admit, it wasn't bad at all.
I have to say though that I think insects are the future. For the energy input into the production of insects, the nutritional outlay is far more efficient than, say, beef or any conventional meat for that matter. I honestly think that in twenty years time, conventional agriculture will have changed significantly in reaction to population increase and I say this as the nephew of a beef farmer!

Snails aren't insects, they're molluscs - specifically gastropods. Totally different thing. I have eaten them, however, and they are rather tasty.
__________________
Bring Me Coffee or Tea
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 09-08-2012, 11:16 PM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, CA
Posts: 3,163
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
I have to say though that I think insects are the future. For the energy input into the production of insects, the nutritional outlay is far more efficient than, say, beef or any conventional meat for that matter. I honestly think that in twenty years time, conventional agriculture will have changed significantly in reaction to population increase and I say this as the nephew of a beef farmer!

Snails aren't insects, they're molluscs - specifically gastropods. Totally different thing. I have eaten them, however, and they are rather tasty.
It would make a lot of sense, and if you do it right, I'm sure it would be better than dog food (i'm thinking Mad Max movie). I guess we'll have to see. Hope I'll still be around by then. It is certainly an interesting time to be alive.

Yeah, I had a feeling that they weren't called insects, like bugs and such. Didn't know what the proper term was. I've heard the word molluscs before, and gastropods for that matters, but the connection wasn't there. I'll know better next time I talk about snails. Thanks.
__________________
5A Sticks--Coated Heads--Acoustic Drums--Cast Bronze Cymbals--Heavy-Duty Hardware
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 09-08-2012, 11:25 PM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kent, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,438
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Sorry for being a smartarse!

The only issue as far as I see it is public perception of insects as food. It's not an issue in some parts of the World but in the West we don't see them as a viable food source and are instead treated with revulsion. I have no idea why. Centuries of tradition, I suppose.
__________________
Bring Me Coffee or Tea
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 09-09-2012, 12:55 AM
Mad About Drums's Avatar
Mad About Drums Mad About Drums is offline
Pollyanna's Agent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shropshire, UK
Posts: 5,502
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
OK...I'm hungry now.:)
Hey Steve... you fancy some popcorn?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK3ZP6frAMc

... or some snails?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP6HV...eature=related

... or some Philly cheese steak?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTLBZXjm9K0

... or some pretzel?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XscthFPryDw
__________________
Keep On Drumming

Last edited by Mad About Drums; 09-09-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 09-09-2012, 01:59 AM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,679
Default Re: Random Thoughts

While we're on the subject of food, here's my favorite local contribution to hot dog cuisine. The original Detroit coney, as served by Lafayette Coney Island:

Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 09-09-2012, 02:11 AM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 4,738
Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
The importance (and difficulty) of how to play something and how everything should sound exactly (as opposed to what to play) gets underestimated.
Very true. I just wing it and hope for the best. Always have done.

I believe that there are ways of coaxing fabulous sounds out of drums of any brand, heads, condition or tuning. Any cymbal too. You just have to work it out (or be Steve Gadd).

Unfortunately, when playing with bands, many of those options aren't available to me due to technical limitations. The technical limitations are are due to character defects such as lack of discipline and patience. Those flaws were probably driven by neurotic parents and generally being a lemon on the human assembly line.

So, instead of playing exactly the right part with the right sound, I play simple beats :)

On a completely different tangent, I recently started listening to The Bad Plus again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9hOSZGMXlI. Dave King ... yet another great drummer with tattoos ... everyone seems to have 'em. He seemed to miss two very quiet ping shots right at the end - one was a click and one didn't get the rim. Small errors, but it looks to me by his reaction that it hurt :)

Edit: Larry, that thing looks hideous.
__________________
YouTube channel

Soundcloud stream
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 09-09-2012, 08:12 PM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,723
Default Re: Random Thoughts

I saw Katatonia live last night.

So Awesome.

I am grateful they came all the way from Sweeden to grace us with their music.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com