DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 09-01-2012, 06:12 PM

Default Double Pedal is driving me CRAZY!!!!

Is it common for DOUBLE pedals to drive you crazy? I'm playing my IC Power Glide and my Slave pedal keeps slipping closer to the head. The previous pedal (IC jr.) did the same.

If I bought a 2nd bass drum and bought 2 single pedals would I have NO Problems at all with lag and stuff that I get with double pedals? I mean since I would have 2 Main pedals and no salve I guess I can' get slave issues? Also I was looking at the demon drive double and people said it keeps rattling and clicked etc. Is that with the double or/and the singles?
Old 09-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Double Pedal is driving me CRAZY!!!!

Not sure I understand... Your slave pedal slips closer to the head? Do you mean your slave pedal's beater?

Never had a problem with my slave pedal slipping. My drums are on a rug, and there are spikes and velcro under my slave pedal which keeps it firmly in place.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:18 PM

Yes sorry my beater slips closer. Everything is tightened strongly so...
Old 09-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven P View Post
Yes sorry my beater slips closer. Everything is tightened strongly so...
In that case, I'm guessing your spring assembly for the slave pedal is slipping.

Try to loosen the bolt you see at the top of this picture, then set the beater where you want it and then tighten it back up.

If that doesn't solve it, it might be the beater assembly, but if so I would think that playing the pedal would push the beater away from the head, not towards it.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Gold Member

Not sure what the problem would be, most have a hex shaft that eliminate any chance of those pieces slipping. I have been playing a Dixon double pedal for over 15 years now, never had any problems or even had to do any repairs and have never even put a drop of oil on it. I just keep clean and make sure no dirt builds up around where the bearings are.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven P View Post
If I bought a 2nd bass drum and bought 2 single pedals would I have NO Problems at all with lag and stuff that I get with double pedals? I mean since I would have 2 Main pedals and no salve I guess I can' get slave issues?
There's certainely a difference between two bass drums and a double pedal, both in terms of feel and response, there's no lag involved in a single pedal and the batter heads of two kicks will give a better response than a single batter head being stroked by two beaters, especially when you bury the beaters into the heads, it is down to preference, I played with both and I prefer two single pedals, however, you'll have to think of costs, moving the kit for gigs, put up and take down time, a double pedal is cheaper, but they all have some kind of lag between the slave and main pedal, but it can be adjusted to compensate the said lag.

Also, I found that the "setting" between the right and left pedals can be different, to accomodate the "strong" foot and the "weak" foot, I don't adjust the pedals identically, they're both set to accomodate the best "feel" for each foot.

You can have a look at my thread about my approach to find the "perfect" setting for each foot here http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=93800, it might be of some helps.