DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 08-23-2012, 05:31 AM
Renegade

Default Re: Random Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdrummer View Post
Sigh. Why can't things be the way they used to be?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feminist_movement

:)

Soundcloud stream
Old 08-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

On August 18th 1920,the 19th amendment to the U.S. constitution was adopted.It gave all American women the right to vote.

Steve B
Old 08-23-2012, 06:41 PM

If I dye my hair blonde, I wonder if I could pass for Prince Harry.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:55 PM
Renegade

Jon e, post a photo and we'll tell you ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
On August 18th 1920,the 19th amendment to the U.S. constitution was adopted.It gave all American women the right to vote.
I think Australia was the second country to give women the vote, which you wouldn't expect, given the culture here. For example, Aboriginals got the vote in 1967.

I find prejudice interesting - gender, colour and sexuality. The less powerful group is subjugated and, commonly, despised by the more powerful group.

I think the underlying idea behind prejudicial law is that suppressing expression and influence of "the weak" makes society stronger - and the idea probably had some logic before the information age.

Soundcloud stream
Old 08-24-2012, 12:05 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon e rotten View Post
If I dye my hair blonde, I wonder if I could pass for Prince Harry.
He's a red head, bro!
Old 08-24-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netz Ausg View Post
He's a red head, bro!
oops, oh well, too late now.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Jon e, post a photo and we'll tell you ...

I think Australia was the second country to give women the vote, which you wouldn't expect, given the culture here. For example, Aboriginals got the vote in 1967.

I find prejudice interesting - gender, colour and sexuality. The less powerful group is subjugated and, commonly, despised by the more powerful group.

I think the underlying idea behind prejudicial law is that suppressing expression and influence of "the weak" makes society stronger - and the idea probably had some logic before the information age.
If you try to have an intellegent conversation with the average 18 year old in this country,you will come to the conclusion that an intellegent conversation is a contradiction in terms.I fear that the information age,has given way to the self absorbed,dumb as a turd,hightened sense of entitlment,give it to me now,entertain me with mindless worthless drivel age.Reality shows anyone? Mob Wives......really?

Yes,I know it was a run on sentence Drumolator.:)

Steve B
Old 08-26-2012, 12:22 AM
Platinum Member

My kids begged me to go bowling with them.

Now my shoulder aches. bleah.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:40 AM
Platinum Member

The death of Neil Armstrong makes me extremely sad. The American space program is dying a horrible death and our future generations will suffer for it. Losing men like Mr. Armstrong is such a tragedy. He is the type of role model that should be celebrated instead of criminal athletes and auto- tuned pop stars. RIP Mr. Armstrong.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:17 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
If you try to have an intellegent conversation with the average 18 year old in this country,you will come to the conclusion that an intellegent conversation is a contradiction in terms.I fear that the information age,has given way to the self absorbed,dumb as a turd,hightened sense of entitlment,give it to me now,entertain me with mindless worthless drivel age.Reality shows anyone? Mob Wives......really?
There's been an increasing distrust of science In the US. Same phenom is slowly growing over here. These kinds of movements often end in book burning ... hoping not this time.

As for youth, I wonder what incentive there is to foster education and contemplation when science and learning are constantly denigrated and mistrusted.

Meanwhile, competition to make a mark in the world via achievement is super hot; to teens it much look a whole lot easier to make your mark with great social skills, freakiness (good for ratings) and beauty (if not natural, then with tech help). Meanwhile introversion seems to be now considered a disorder, which kind of puts the kibosh on contemplation.

I think today's youth are responding rationally to their surroundings just like every other generation - after all, how much substance and reality is at Wall Street? The amount of money earned often doesn't bear any resemblance to contribution to society.

I take the George Carlin approach these days - bemused spectator. Can't do anything about it. Que sera sera. The news of Neil Armstrong's passing (82 was a good innings) brought back some memories ... in primary school, given time off classes to watch the landing on a small B&W television. Exciting times.

Soundcloud stream
Old 08-26-2012, 05:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
The death of Neil Armstrong makes me extremely sad. The American space program is dying a horrible death and our future generations will suffer for it. Losing men like Mr. Armstrong is such a tragedy. He is the type of role model that should be celebrated instead of criminal athletes and auto- tuned pop stars. RIP Mr. Armstrong.
It is sad. When I was a little boy, Neil Armstrong was considered a real living American Hero that we all wanted to be like when we grew up.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
America is losing it's identity.We are losing the ability to dream big,and actually make those dreams come true.We need to challenge ourselves way more than we do.

Continuing education should be free,or at least financially feasible.Student loans shouldn't be a growing business,that burdens graduates,with sky high loan payments for years.That in and of itself creates tremendous disincentive to continue your education.Lets not even talk about the lack of jobs with decent wages and benefits. .

Our schools should be palaces,and teachers should be well paid,and the smartest ,most dedicated ones in the room.The system needs an overhall.

And if anyone want to burn my books,the'll have to take my life as well.

Steve B
Old 08-26-2012, 10:34 PM
Administrator

I have been following the space program for many years. My Dad was a chemical engineer, rocket scientist, and spent a lot of time at Canaveral. I was excited about getting to the moon, and glad we went, but now, Mars, I don't know why. To look for water? Spend the money on education as was mentioned or on drilling/processing our own oil. To me going to Mars is not beneficial. A nine month trip. I only get 4 weeks per year. I may be in the minority here but just feel like there must be better ways of spending our money.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:07 AM
Platinum Member

My wife is very happy today. She's finally got the dog to walk around the block with her.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:28 AM

we were on the way home from a summer visit to DC when the news in the middle of the night on the car radio said that we had landed. i want to say it was 2:09am i felt very proud and excited.

a few days earlier my older cousin (who's family we had gone to visit) and who was very into space stuff (Lost In Space, Star Trek) told me that his boys (the astronauts) were about to land on the moon.

he also gave me some photos of the moon, as he had an extra set. they could be bought at stores in the big city of DC.. they were really cool, because they came in a little cellophane w/ folded cardboard tag at top and looked exactly like Kodak photos of the day, with date printed on the side and everything. it was almost like i had taken them on vacation. i was a big hit when i showed them at Show And Tell.

we also watched the moon landing at school. not live, on videotape. it was on a big open reel video tape player that was wheeled in on the A/V cart. for those who don't remember, the tape machine was about the size of a computer tower sat on it's side.

the next summer, i acquired a framed portrait of the astronauts at Williamsburg, where we went for my sister's birthday. everyone used to comment how Buzz Aldrin looked like Tommy Smothers.

Last edited by drstrangefunk; 08-27-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:28 AM

Clavinets make me wet.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:42 PM

Monday's Child Is Stiff Of Back.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:15 AM
Renegade

My new PC speakers arrived today. Now I'll have enough volume to play with music without having to tap as though the drums were made of glass.

Whether that's a good thing or not ...

Soundcloud stream
Old 08-28-2012, 05:08 AM
Platinum Member

When I shower, the steam causes the smoke detector just outside the bathroom to chirp. This terrifies my dog, who cowers in the corner, shaking, sometimes wetting herself. It's hard-wired in such a way that I can't easily shut it off. Until the maintenance staff can come out and fix it, I'm covering it with a plastic bag so the steam won't set it off.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:27 AM

. Gretschbuckers arrived. nice. minty.

. Guess who's going to the convention : ) ?
Old 08-28-2012, 08:30 AM

i declare Li Na Babe Of The Olympics.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member

For the most part people are okay, they're well-adjusted to society and they get along together just fine, or civilization wouldn't exist. But there are some people who are all about being angry and outraged and pissed-off and obdurate. Hoo boy I'd sure like to never have to deal with that kind of people ever again.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:43 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
When I shower, the steam causes the smoke detector just outside the bathroom to chirp. This terrifies my dog, who then goes into psychotic rages and attacks my teddy bear collection.
That's a pain, 8. I removed mine months ago (I now own the home and can do what I like). I should be putting fresh batteries in an putting it back up - but, as with all alarms, you get so many false alarms it's annoying.

My dad had a burglar door alarm on this place for years in the 90s but he had to get rid of it because possums kept setting it off - several times a day.

As far as the old house goes - the fixups go on. The mould problem was sorted out by having the cornices replaced. I'm getting the ceiling cleaned out next week. Quote = $800 - major job with lots of hazmat procedures due to possible asbestos and lead paint.

I've had respiratory problems since moving into this place and it seems there are heaps of rat droppings up there, which I'm told is common in areas with a lot of vegetation. Apparently rat droppings can he hazardous in a number of ways.

After the cleanout there's rat proofing. Then put in insulation. Then replace all the electrics (old and dodgy), then add solar panels, then replace the windows (paper thin and the old wooden frames are rotting) and blinds, then repainting, then recarpeting, then ...

It's the result of 50 years of bare minimum maintenance ... Dad preferred not to spend money in the same way as most of us prefer not to be thrown into a pit of boiling lava.

Soundcloud stream
Old 08-28-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I agree MaryO,

Our society has changed a lot since that day in July 1969. Many are not aware of who Neil Armstrong was, and could not even comprehend that a programmable calculator of today is a more powerful computing device than the on board computer they had that day in July 1969.

To show how much times have changed, satellites that NASA is putting into orbit are now using smart phones to control the satellites, which takes much more computing power than the calculations needed for a Moon landing.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/space/1...llites-082712/

This is a combination of advances in technology as well as a reduction in budget.

We live in a different world now where our electronics and communications have grown way beyond what was available back in 1969. The news available to the world in July 1969 was slow and limited. That is why many television news organizations, set up remote monitors in different parts of the world to show the world that the USA was the first to land a man on the Moon. And now, in 2012, one of the same news organizations could not even get the man’s name right. Unbelievable!

NBC news wrote Neil Young the first man to land on the moon dies at 82 years old. Either this was a joke or a typo, either one is hard to believe.

http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/...ong-neil-young

Of course, there isn’t enough money now to put together a Moon project of the proportions that the USA had in the 1960’s. Even during the Moon landing of July 1969, NASA’s budget was being cut from the original proposed Moon landings and was shrunken to only a few. However, after the Apollo 13 flight they did add a few more because the public interest had grown, they said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_landing

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...ng-sites-1961/

Last edited by evolving_machine; 08-28-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, my random thought for today is a sad one: http://www.smh.com.au/world/condemne...817-24bya.html

Torture is considered one of the worst of crimes but if you're unlucky to enough to have a paralysing stroke Our Masters have laws that ensure you endlessly endure passive torture. All you can do is hope like hell it won't happen to you or those you care about ...

I say "Our Masters" and not "politicians" because politicos aren't the only ones running the show - big business, the church and the media rule us too. It's a four-way tug-o-war for a greater share of our control.

Increasingly I'm thinking the smart thing is to stay under the radar as much as possible because The Big People will never show you empathy or compassion - only the little people in our lives are on our side.
For all of you who looked at this story, Tony's suffering is now at an end. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19341722
Old 08-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Silver Member

My own random thought for the day is that I have 17 and 7 year old daughters and a new baby on the way in 7 weeks. I'm 46.

And I must be certifiable!

Therefore, I must be a drummer. That is all...
Old 08-28-2012, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
That's a pain, 8. I removed mine months ago (I now own the home and can do what I like). I should be putting fresh batteries in an putting it back up - but, as with all alarms, you get so many false alarms it's annoying.

My dad had a burglar door alarm on this place for years in the 90s but he had to get rid of it because possums kept setting it off - several times a day.

As far as the old house goes - the fixups go on. The mould problem was sorted out by having the cornices replaced. I'm getting the ceiling cleaned out next week. Quote = $800 - major job with lots of hazmat procedures due to possible asbestos and lead paint.

I've had respiratory problems since moving into this place and it seems there are heaps of rat droppings up there, which I'm told is common in areas with a lot of vegetation. Apparently rat droppings can he hazardous in a number of ways.

After the cleanout there's rat proofing. Then put in insulation. Then replace all the electrics (old and dodgy), then add solar panels, then replace the windows (paper thin and the old wooden frames are rotting) and blinds, then repainting, then recarpeting, then ...

It's the result of 50 years of bare minimum maintenance ... Dad preferred not to spend money in the same way as most of us prefer not to be thrown into a pit of boiling lava.
I don't envy you your rat problem.For years I was a church caretaker,and lived in an old house on church property( built in 1860),that also included a cemetary.The rodents were a constant problem,even though there were baited traps surrounding the house,and 2 large house cats.

I haven't lived there in over 6 years and no longer have a rat problem,but I swear,on humid days I can still smell the urine.

Steve B
Old 08-28-2012, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Heh, thanks for fixing my post :)

Taking over a property in disrepair is no fun. Been there, done that. It's painful and it seems to take unlimited time and money. Just gotta tackle things one-at-a-time.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:12 AM
Renegade

Ian, that was mercifully fast - and interestingly so. Seems like everyone but the written law agreed that Tony was right in his court case, so everything had to happen under the table. I guess someone had more cojones than the judge.

As for all this reproduction of yours - yep, you and your partner are certifiable. That's as close as I get to "congratulations" for middle aged parents-to-be as I can muster :)

Steve, I never had a clue about the rats. Dad left the roof leaking for some years - when I finally got the roof fixed the guy had to pull out all this refuse from the dozens patch up jobs. So the rats had their own little sheltered pad up there with occasional running water. Made me think about what Larry, as an electrician, puts up with at work.

8, I sometimes do that - fix punctuation and spelling, point out that someone's dog goes into psychotic rages ... guess it's the pedant in me. Seems that every expert that comes in sees a problem in another area that I didn't know about. Never been part of the land-owning gentry before so it's a steep learning curve. One thing I've found is it's hard to line up tradespeople - they must be hauling it in because they're always booked up till next week at least.

Renting is so much easier - a bit like childhood in a way. Mummy or Daddy landlord / landlady solves all the problem - if they want to.

Soundcloud stream
Old 08-31-2012, 06:12 AM

i had two donuts today. they was good.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:34 AM
Platinum Member

I'm feeling very bad for Clint Eastwood right now. I never thought I'd see him make a fool of himself like he did tonight.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:14 AM
Renegade

Sun Ra was underrated as a jazz musician because he could be embarrassingly weird. But when he got it right his music was as good as it gets http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyUjgYuYR0c

Soundcloud stream
Old 08-31-2012, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by con struct View Post
I'm feeling very bad for Clint Eastwood right now. I never thought I'd see him make a fool of himself like he did tonight.
I enjoy him as a director but his speech was bizarre. I felt bad too for him. People will look at the video years down the road and think "what the F was that all about....?"
Old 08-31-2012, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

Tigers got swept by the Royals. That can't happen to a team in a pennant race.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:13 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Tigers got swept by the Royals. That can't happen to a team in a pennant race.
It certainly happened in India, though.

Soundcloud stream
Old 08-31-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
It certainly happened in India, though.
braaaaaaa-tsst !!!!

Old 09-01-2012, 04:17 AM
Platinum Member

I really dislike hurricanes...
Old 09-01-2012, 04:20 AM
Platinum Member

Where would we be without the ability to let our minds wander?

And where would we go if our emotions were submerged down under our souls?

Their master control plan will FAIL!

As the young minds prevail in pure genetic wisdom.

--Warrior
Old 09-01-2012, 04:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Where would we be without the ability to let our minds wander?
We'd be without pretty much everything.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:43 AM
Platinum Member

I have a cold, in the summer no less, which is why I've not been able to participate in the money beat thread.

But I leave you with this: