DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Silver Member

Default Head Choices??????

Ok I have spend many dollars on heads over the years finding what sounds great as have others, I have read countless threads on double, ply single, ply coated, clear, etc..
I have found that on my classix I go from coated to clear and like them both, always a double ply over a single, Emperor over ambassador, response 2 over classic clear bla bla.
Now I'm reading and looking into these thicker single ply heads that peak my curiosity.
Any advice on the Ambassador X, or the Evans G plus http://m.musicradar.com/tuition/drum...-257220/6#next (which get the best reviews I have heard for a drum head) or the Aquarian equivalent.
I am curious because they seem more durable and possibly make the drum sing a little more.
Anyways thoughts would be appreciated as I learn tons from you guys on here, thanks.

Almost too many choices.....

Last edited by piperdoog; 07-15-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:37 AM

Default Re: Head Choices??????

Me personally, I hated the heads I had. Had studio x heads and hated them. Went off of reviews only. After talking to some buddies, I went with remo pinstripe batter and kept my aquarian classic clears (I think) for reso heads. Made a huge difference.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:47 AM
Platinum Member

I recently put Evans coated G14 heads on the 13" and 16" toms on one of my kits. They sound quite good here at home, but I have not played them in a band situation yet. I bought coated heads because the drum are white and I had not tried coated heads for a while. I am sure that the clear G14 heads sound good too. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / ProMark
Old 08-31-2012, 02:52 AM
Administrator

I have the G14's on all of my toms 8 thru 16 over G1 Clears and have found them to both sound well and perform well.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:57 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfly28 View Post
Me personally, I hated the heads I had. Had studio x heads and hated them. Went off of reviews only. After talking to some buddies, I went with remo pinstripe batter and kept my aquarian classic clears (I think) for reso heads. Made a huge difference.
Strange that you didnt like the studio x's, they are by far my favorite heads. Just a very slight difference between them and the classic clear as that small strip of power dot material only removes just a hair of the high overtones leaving a very deep, full, warm and resonant sound. I find 2 plys too controlled and lifeless from the audience's point of view compared to a single ply head and find the performance 2's / pinstripes completely loose all their substance sounding very much like wet cardboard by the time it gets to the audience. Plus I find the single plys much more responsive and dynamic with less force.

You can hear what I mean in this video with Roy Burns.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot31HbyOlWE
Old 08-31-2012, 12:46 PM

To me, on my kit, I may as well have been hitting a opened tin can. Not sure why, just personally never liked them. I love the superkick bass heads. I have both a batter and resonate head on mine.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:05 PM

I've found the perfect (to me) combination: Smooth White Emperor over CS Black Dot.

Lately I've switched to clear heads for their attack, but I've had a hard time finding the right combination of openness (ring), tone, and attack. I put clear Ambassadors on the batter and was going to live with those for a while, but they were just way too open and ringy. Moongel helped (as always) but I'd rather have the heads closer to my target sound from the start and use dampening as a last resort. I bought a set of CS Black Dots for batter heads but changed my mind before I even put them on and instead put them on the bottom as resos (they make great resos, by the way).

I like the look of the white heads but the attack and feel of clear heads, so after seeing a Youtube video of Rich Redmond giving a kit tour, I thought "Aha! Smooth White should do the trick!". The Smooth White Emps are just a hair thicker than the regular ones (7.5 mil plies vs 7 mil), so they are actually the same thickness as the clear Vintage Emps, meaning they dial down the overtones just slightly more than regular Emperors.

WOW. I put them on before sound check at a gig this weekend and they instantly dialed into the exact range I was looking for, tone-wise. My toms had great attack, a beautiful dark tone, and just the right amount of ring to give them life without ringing forever. My rack tom sang with dark beauty and my floor tom rumbled and growled like a freight train. The feel of the heads was perfect, and when I went back and listened to the recording I was amazed at how perfect the toms sounded without any EQ on them whatsoever.

To me, this is the best combination a drummer could ask for.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:06 PM

Also, I only had to use a 1/2 a moongel on the floor tom, and none on the rack.