DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-26-2012, 02:56 PM

Default Single braced VS. Double braced cymbal stands

Hi!

I'm longing for some Tama hardware, and I've noticed that when buying their cymbal stands, you can choose either double braced legs or single braced legs. The double braced cost a little more.

I'm just throwing the topic out here; is it worth to pay 10 extra bucks for double braced legs when buying a boom stand for 80 bucks? Are the single braced legs really that unstable?

Looking forward to your tips and opinions.

Gretsch, Tama, Paiste
My drum cover of Changes by Yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NRCo2P0d60
Old 08-26-2012, 03:18 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Single braced VS. Double braced cymbal stands

Its not that the single are unstable its just that the double are stronger and more durable but are heavier too. I use Dixon double braced stands and have been gigging with them for about 15 years now with no problems or repairs and I have an 8 piece kit with 5 of the drums and 8 cymbals plus jam block, cow bell and a tamborine attached to 4 stands so they needed to be strong to support all that weight as well as the wear and tear of setting up and tearing down that comes with using only one kit for gigging, practice and rehearsals. If your kit is gonna see a fair amount of use and abuse then the extra $10 is probably money well spent.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

I have used single-braced stands exclusively for the past 15 years and had no issues with them, no matter how much stuff I piled on. At one point I was suspending 14" and 16" toms, a 20" heavy ride, an 14" and 20" china, and an 18" crash from one Yamaha single-braced stand. It swayed just a bit but was otherwise sturdy and solid. I can imagine that in exchange for the extra weight, the sway would go away. You might also benefit from added peace of mind, knowing that the stand was engineered to hold a Sherman tank.

If you gig a lot, weigh the benefits in your mind - slightly added gear stability versus added weight.

One of the stands I use is a Yamaha double tom mount in a Tama single-braced stand base, and for what it's worth, it's more than adequate.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:20 PM
Silver Member

I have been using single brace stands for the last few years. They are holding up and reduce the gear weight to move. Easy to over and helps get and out in of the gig. Denis
Old 08-26-2012, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member

Look at your cymbal array, then buy. If you've got cymbals 5 feet off the floor at weird angles, yeah, a double braced stand might be required. If you run your cymbals low, with very little angle to the booms, or just straight, you can probably go with just single.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:06 PM
"Uncle Larry"

What Harry said. Other than extremes? Single braced FTW IMO.

I always thought the double bracing was redundant. To me it doesn't look like it does anything. It's the diameter of the stance of the legs that gives you your real support.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:21 PM

I'm going to carry it around a lot and gig with it in a medium loud indie rock/progressive rock setting. I'm a medium hard hitter.

Are the double braced really that much heavier? If there really is that much of a difference in weight, single braced is probably the best choice for me.

Gretsch, Tama, Paiste
Old 08-26-2012, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
At one point I was suspending 14" and 16" toms, a 20" heavy ride, an 14" and 20" china, and an 18" crash from one Yamaha single-braced stand.
Lol.. That's quite insane.

I would like to see that.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

You guys know me, I think there might be a time and a place for using single-braced or double-braced. And that includes the over-engineered DW stuff too. But it really depends on what you're doing. As some have said, if you're going to hang all kinds of stuff off of your stands, big double-braced would be the way to go just because it is more stable with that amount of weight on it. But, if like me, you only use straight stands just to hold up a cymbal, you can get away with flat-based cymbals and save your body from having to move around a ton of extra weight.

I currently have these Pearl double-braced monsters for my straight cymbal stands and I do like the stability - especially if you're outside and the winds blowing hard enough, and other people are grabbing your stuff to help you move it around. But when I'm working hauling my own gear and I'm in one place all night, those Gibraltar flat-based stands are great. I also used Tama single-braced Stagemaster hardware and Yamaha's single-braced 7-series stuff and those hold up to all kinds of abuse.

If you want a testimony, I noticed that my traveling hi-hat, a Tama single-braced Stagemaster one, has survived seven years of abuse so far - it sees more action than my bigger double-braced Tama RoadPro one!
Old 08-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

This just about my favorite drum topic because I love single-braced stands: Yamaha, Tama, and Gibraltar (even some older Mapex and Pearl). Most drummers would be fine with good single-braced stands, even with drums and more than one cymbal on them. It is somewhat market hype that made many feel as though drummers need double-braced stands. But as said above, if you need to put stuff high and/or at odd angles, maybe double-braced stands are needed. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / ProMark
Old 08-26-2012, 08:19 PM

The stand I'm about to buy will be set up at a pretty low height, hold one 18" crash (or maybe a 21" light ride, but not at the same time) and will be carried around a lot. I'm looking at the Tama Stagemaster series and I think the single braced boom version is the best choice for me.

Please, keep the advices coming, though. It's always nice and helpful to get other people's input on things.

Gretsch, Tama, Paiste

Last edited by Swexx; 08-26-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:20 PM
audiotech

I can't recall if I've owned a single braced stand in 40 years. When I bought my first kit in 1965, I bought all flat based stands and not long after that, I couldn't wait to get something a bit more substantial and braced better to give the top of the stands more support. It was in the early 70's when I started using double braced stands and I still do today. I really like my over engineered DW 9000 stands along with my Tama, Yamaha, Pearl, and Ludwig double braced stands. If you really don't like the word "heavy" associated with cymbals stands, stay away from the new top of the line Ludwig Atlas stands, lol.

I really like the extra stability in a double braced cymbal or hi hat stand. I'm only sixty, maybe in another twenty years I might start appreciating the lighter weight of single braced stands, but for right now, I'm staying where I am.

BTW, this might go against everything that I believe in but, I was looking and comparing the DW flat based stands to the Ludwigs flat based stands on a few occasions... only looking. Maybe they'll still be manufacturing them twenty years from now, lol.

Dennis
Old 08-27-2012, 12:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
Lol.. That's quite insane.

I would like to see that.
Wishing is getting, around here. In the first pic I have both toms, the 18" on the main stalk, with a china and an x-hat attached, using a Gibraltar rack tube.

In the second photo you can see the 18" crash, an 18" O-Zone, and my 20" K Custom, plus the 14" on the same stand. By this time the 16" was on legs.
Attached Images