DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-24-2012, 12:59 AM

Default help with budget live mic setup

I'm looking for opinions on mic placement for a 7pc fusion kit snare, 3 up , 2 down, + kick.

Here's the mic kit I bought, that's all I can afford right now....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shure-DMK57-...item5ae92b39bd

Where should I put them? Thanks is advance for any tips/advice

Todd
Old 08-24-2012, 07:35 PM

Default Re: help with budget live mic setup

basically I'm wondering if I can get away with putting a SM57 mic in between the floor toms and one in between 2 of the ride toms. Maybe I could position the snare mike so as to pick up the smallest ride tom?

anybody?
Old 08-24-2012, 07:41 PM

If it were me I would mic the kick and snare, and hang the 2 condensors as overheads in the Recorderman configuration. I'm using this now and it captures the kit very well.

http://youtu.be/8X_kMItRI2s

I doubt you'll need more. Maybe use one of the other SM57's to mic the underside of the snare.

You need to be careful how you position the mics so you avoid any phase issues.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Pioneer Member

Okay, so to start off by stating the obvious, the Beta 52 goes in the kick, the condenser(s) are for overhead, and one of the 57s goes on the snare. That leaves only 2 more mics.

With 1 more 57 you could mic your 5 toms (1 mic between 2, another mic between the floor toms, and the new 57 on the 5th tom. Cost you another $100 for a 57 (plus stand, cable, etc.)

If you really canít get another mic, then maybe lose 1 of the toms.

It also makes a difference whether youíre recording or playing live.

Another option: use one of the condenser mics on the biggest floor tom and the other as a single overhead. If itís for live, stereo is unnecessary, so 1 overhead should be fine.

Spend a couple of hours playing with various alternatives, and Iím sure youíll find something workable.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:19 PM

Count me as another minimalist. I haven't used more than 4 mics on a drum kit in many years, and I actually prefer to use just 3: the kick and two overheads. I use Oktava MC012s with either the cardioid or the hypercardioid capsule, depending on how much mush there is from the backline instruments. The Samsons will probably do fine here. I use an AKG D20, EV RE20, or a Byetone IM29 for the kick. The Beta 52 will do fine here as well. To set up the balance of snare versus tom versus hat is then simply a positioning problem, moving the snare side overhead mic around until the balance suits. Move the other side to balance ride and toms, and the crashes inevitably come along for free....

Keep a mic for the snare if you like, but I think the best results are obtained without it. The rule of thumb has to be that the fewer open mics feed into a mix, the tighter and less muddy the mix will be. I really don't feel that you need a fader for the snare for most live gigs, nor for the toms. I can't tell you how many times I've seen bands at clubs that mic the hell out of everything, and end up having to leave half the faders down to control the mud buildup in the mix.So IMNSHO, keep it simple: hang as little as possible, and enjoy the simplicity of the setup... Then sell the extra gear to fund the next bout of gear acquisition syndrome! Hope that helps.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:58 PM

This is some good stuff guys. Keep it coming. I really appreciate it. I'm checking out the Glyn Johns technique and recorderman videos.

thanks to you all !!

Todd