DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 08-17-2012, 05:00 PM

Default Roland TD-9 live

Hi all,

I'm new to this Forum and this is my first post!

I just wanted to open a bit of a discussion and find out a bit about others out there who use Electronic kits in live situations . I am in a Function band playing just covers at weddings, parties and clubs etc. I switched to a TD9 from an acoustic kit about 3 years ago and since then I have never looked back. Due to the sheer diversity and range of genre's we perform, in my eyes there is no comparison.

I gig with the TD-9 but also own a TD-12 which i leave set up at home. We play through a powered system; Four Mackie Active 3 way speakers (with dual 15's) and four Mackie active 18 inch subs. It gives a right good thump for what we need. So sounds wise I have changed all the settings beyond recognition, including the EQ and reverb. I use a classic "rock" sound for the majority of our set and I do believe it sounds as good as the real thing when set up and EQ'd correctly.

Does anyone else use Roland V-Drums live and what set up do you use?

Thanks guys I would be really interested to know! Not many bands in my area use electronic kits and I am often seen as a bit odd for doing so. I often get called a "cheat" which I have never really understood!?

Cheers

Tom
Old 08-24-2012, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Roland TD-9 live

I have a TD-9 that I use for practice at home, but I have gigged it one time when my band played a small room. It just seemed that the band volume with acoustic drums would overwhelm the room.

It went very well, and we got compliments on the sound. I think it's pretty easy to get a good drum sound as the sounds in the module are already 'produced' (with reverb etc). I also found I had to tweak the kits a bit, and the mix of the individual items in the kit, but it worked pretty well overall. I would do it again if we played a small room like that again.

As for comments about being a 'cheat', I would ignore that comment. I had some mild interest in the fact that I was using the e-kit at that one gig rather than the usual acoustic. I think that some like the visual impact of a 'real' kit, but that's all.