DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-11-2012, 05:40 AM

Default Re: Drummers: Whats your preference; NYLON or WOOD tip, any why? (What's your favorite stick?)

i have played nylon tip sticks since i started drumming. i use to use Promark 5B nylon back then, now i use promark 747 nylon and planning to make a switch to 5A nylons. i have been using promark forever, my reason being that i find them to be the most durable and ive gotten used to their sizes' feel that i think i no other brand offers imo. ive tried vater and they broke the same day i got them. and as of vic firth, i just cant seem to get comfortable with how their sticks feel in my hand. i find that nylon tips just have a brighter crisp sound on cymbals (hats and ride). to be honest i have never owned wood tips! poor me i know lol, just love nylons, even though im going to buy wood tips one day to have them :) i know all the pros tend to go with wood tips but i am too into my hats and ride sound. also nylon tips tend to make your playing sound louder from what ive read which is why im going from 5b to 5a. i play softer rock music (indie/electronic kinda stuff). 5a have a way smaller tip than 5b but i figured that since im getting nylon 5a, it will sound a little louder than wood tip 5a's. the 747s i love, and are my favorite sticks at the moment. they offer a lighter feel within the part of the stick you hold and a are lighter than 5b's but a little thicker than 5a's and the tip remains as of those in the 5b's!!! PROMARK FOREVER!
Old 07-11-2012, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Drummers: Whats your preference; NYLON or WOOD tip, any why? (What's your favorite stick?)

Wood tips for me, although I will say nylons make a nice ping on a ride. I considered switching to nylon tips when the tips on my 5A Hickory Pro-Marks always started chipping away and getting soft, but recently I've been using 5A Red Hickory sticks from Los Cabos and the tips have stood up to the last month of my beating without a chip. They're cheaper too!
Old 07-16-2012, 04:30 PM

I used to like the nylon tips for their durability, however, I use wood tip now. I like the tone of wood tip, as it is classic. They are also cheaper, and I use the sticks where the tips are all chipped for practice, and the nice ones for gigs
Old 08-01-2012, 08:28 AM

I've had a set or two of Vic Firths laying around since lonng before I ever touched a drum. I knew I wanted to play someday, and would occasionally wail on counters, or any other poor object that looked like it would give a good rebound. Vic Firths always just felt like "the ones". I started basic, and used bigger sticks for hard practice and usually like a 7A for more focused stuff. I used to like the feel of the nylon for whatever reason. Now I prefer wood.

I too like and use the ?uestlove sticks. I really love the incredible rebound the Peter Erskine. I like playing with the rock maple from time to time, and just the standard Vic Grip sticks in every size. I have more sizes and styles of drumsticks than some stores, all Vic. My absolute favorites though are the Gavin Harrison sticks. They just happen to be my favorite color, but I took a first look and thought Murphy's law was in effect and they'd play awful. I was so wrong. I loved them. They are more beefy that my usual suspects, but they are just so versatile that I pay it no attention.

I'm just glad there are so many options for us out there. Quite a few companies and a vast expanse of styles, sizes and weights from each brand. Awesome.

I did just figure out yesterday, that it is not the best idea to use my Peter Erskine sticks to really wail. Put a nice dent in my snare batter that would not have happened with the average tip. It really didn't take much either. The tip is just so small and focused.

Last edited by section8usmc; 08-03-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Platinum Member

Playability, flexibility, and sound - wood for acoustics.
Durability - nylon.

For electronic pads, I only use nylon.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:53 PM

Wood tips...I can definitely tell the difference in ride response. Nylon is usually too "pingy" and bright for me.

My default go-to stick is VF Steve Jordan. Long, good balance, nice weight for all volumes.

However, there is a time and place for different tones, so I keep the following on-hand at all times:
  • VF Extreme 5A Nylon Tip
  • VF 5A "Silver Bullet" Metal Tip
  • VF 5A "Soft Touch" felt tip
Old 08-02-2012, 02:07 PM

Depends which project I'm working on, as well as the situation (live/practice vs. recording).

Recording:
--Nylon for my thrash band or any project that has a lot of skank beats and such, where extra ping on the ride is a plus.

--Wood tips for pretty much any project where the music is less chaotic and the extra ride definition can be swapped out for a fuller, less pingy sound. Wood tips really bring out some fantastic tones in my ride (22" Paiste Dimensions Power Bell)

Live:
--I can go either way, but I may lean slightly more towards nylon regardless of project, just because ride clarity and general durability is prefered.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:33 PM

I use a nylon tip in my right hand and wood tip in the left.
I prefer the brighter ride/cymbal sound the nylon tip gives me. The nylon tip also lasts like forever. I can't stand it when the wood tip breaks and the ride sound becomes dull. I also find the sound of the nylon tips very consistent when comparing them stick to stick.

/Oskar
Old 08-02-2012, 03:44 PM

Oh, forgot to mention which sticks I use.

Vater Sugar Maple Sweet Ride and Vater Manhattan 7A Nylon.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Platinum Member

In 25 years of drumming I've used just about every brand of stick there is, and vacillated on sizes all the way from 7A to 2B. I've played Pro-Mark, Vic Firth, Zidjian, Vater, Regal Tip, Rimshot, HeadHunters (very nice Canadian maple sticks), those Hot Shots colored gimmick sticks, even Slingerland 2Bs.

I ended up stabilizing somewhere between 5A and 5B on grip, but I prefer a long taper. I love the sound of wood tips but I have split so many wood tips on the bell of my ride it's not funny. For the longest time I stuck with Pro-Mark (5As and 5Bs with the Pro-Grip if I could find them, which was almost never) until I simply couldn't justify sticking with a brand that sent mostly warped sticks with diagonal grain clearly visible to the shops nearest me. No shop near me ever seemed to have a good selection of Pro-Mark, and I didn't want to have to pay shipping every time I needed sticks, only to potentially get a brick full of duds. (This was before D'Addario bought them. Now, I don't know.)

I switched to Vic Firth, and finally settled on the Buddy Rich model (I had resisted trying it since it came out, because everyone in town seemed to use it). It's got a longish taper and because of the blended tip, it's resisted chipping more than others. I don't care for the white finish, it's kind of slippery. To compensate I use a little touch of spray-on grip. If they ever offered a natural finish version, possibly with Vic Grip, I would be so there.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:15 AM

I study classical percussion at a conservatory, play in 1 post-hardcore band, 1 rock band and practice jazz and fusion stuff. My stick of choice (for almost 2 years now) is
Vic Firth 2B with wood tip. Except when I play concert snare drum. For that I have some excellent Cooperman Greg Zuber "Nothung" sticks made of persimmon.
The 2B seems to work well for me in all kinds of different settings. I think I've got quite big hands, so a bigger stick seems to fit well. I also like a full, round tone/sound
from everything I play on. I feel that a bigger stick with a bigger tip helps me achieving just that :-)
Old 08-21-2012, 06:25 PM

I currently have nylon tips in my sticks, but I prefer wood, fits more my music style I think. The nylon tips make cymbals sound, um, like, too "open" maybe? Can't find the correct word to explain it.