DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 08-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Random Thoughts

Come to Oklahoma. We may not always have electricity especially after tornadoes or ice storms, but we have heat waves (several weeks of 100+), drought, tornadoes, floods, wild fires and now earthquakes. All are welcome.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Renegade

Zickos, I had a look at the Wiki entry on Oklahoma after your post - what a climate!

Soundcloud stream
Old 08-16-2012, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

I am addicted to bejeweled...
Old 08-16-2012, 05:40 PM
"Uncle Larry"

So many people want my electrical services today but I am blowing them all off and reheading my DW's. I have the entire house to myself until late tonight and I am taking full advantage. I feel both guilty and privileged.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Platinum Member

Painting a room is very dull. Very difficult too when you're doing it by shifting the furniture rather than just taking it all out.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
So many people want my electrical services today but I am blowing them all off and reheading my DW's. I have the entire house to myself until late tonight and I am taking full advantage. I feel both guilty and privileged.
I have the entire house to myself...every day,for the last 6 years.There's advantages to living alone....like you always know where the remote is,you don't need permission to change the channel,and you don't have to leave the room to fart.:)

Steve B
Old 08-16-2012, 07:57 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Ah yea having the whole house to yourself...it's such a special feeling. I loved living alone too. I am the type of person who doesn't need to have other people around. Some people cannot live alone. I used to be in a relationship where when everyone was out (3 kids plus me) I would come home to a crying woman. I could never comprehend that feeling. I loves my alone time to do whatever I want.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
Come to NH, Unless your a liberal : ) We have electricity and we don't have a sales tax.. Democrats hate it though.
I'm kind of in the middle ground politically these days,but still a registered republican.You guys have the absolute best state motto..."Live free,or die".That about sums it up for me.Staten Island is still basicly conservative.Manhattan however,is politically, to the left of Lenin,except for that whole re-disribution of wealth thing.Our wonderful mayor is worth somewhere between 16 and 18 Billion (yes,with a B).How much do you really need?

Steve B
Old 08-16-2012, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

Random thoughts -

There's no real hope for anything truly progressive and beneficial to the health of Americans to occur when the political system here is stacked against anyone attempting to run for office as an independent or a 3rd party candidate. We have "A" or "B". Take it or leave it. And they're both in bed for the most part with the big money donors that finance their campaigns which allow them to be re-elected. There really isn't that much difference between democrats or republicans in office. In the end, they cater to big money.

Just think if you had only two choices for drum brands from which to choose.

I know I know, there was a time was back in the last century when that was the case - but look what we had...Ludwigs, Slingerlands, Rogers...all classics :)
Old 08-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zickos View Post
Come to Oklahoma. We may not always have electricity especially after tornadoes or ice storms, but we have heat waves (several weeks of 100+), drought, tornadoes, floods, wild fires and now earthquakes. All are welcome.
I think science has invented a machine to control the weather,and the're experementing with it in Oklahoma.Man ....you guys deserve a break already.

We in the northeast have had pretty strange weather also.Drought,flooding,hurricanes,,but no wildfires.I never imagined what a quake would like till a few months ago.We felt the D.C. quake in NY City,and it was a little scary.

Truth be known,there's no place on the planet that's weather proof.

Steve B
Old 08-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

Elvis has been gone for 35 years....wow.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
Elvis has been gone for 35 years....wow.
He just wants you to THINK he's gone.Chuck Norris knows where he is,and nobodys making him talk.:)

Steve B
Old 08-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

A guy walks into a shop,and and says,"hey,do you have one of those Marshall AC 30 amps,and a Gibson Les Paul Custom in black,and one of those wa-wa pedals"?

The man says to him..."your a drummer ...right"?

The guy says ..."how did you know"?

The man says..."this is a travel agency"

Steve B
Old 08-16-2012, 09:14 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Yuk Steve. One bad joke deserves another:

Where do electricians hang out after work?

At the neutral bar.

My creation.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Yuk Steve. One bad joke deserves another:

Where do electricians hang out after work?

At the neutral bar.

My creation.
LOL...good one.

Things to ponder.....why do we spend so much time trying to make things idiot proof,when all the'll do is make a better idiot.

This ones for Mary O...saw this on a bumper sticker...Women who want to be the equal of men...lack ambition.

Steve B
Old 08-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

A neutron walks into a bar and asks the barmaid:

'How much for a pint of bitter?'

The barmaid turns to the neutron and replies:

'For you? No charge!'
Old 08-16-2012, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post

This ones for Mary O...saw this on a bumper sticker...Women who want to be the equal of men...lack ambition.

Steve B
You laugh....because it's true ;)
Old 08-17-2012, 12:09 AM
Renegade

Unfortunately, my random thought for today is a sad one: http://www.smh.com.au/world/condemne...817-24bya.html

Torture is considered one of the worst of crimes but if you're unlucky to enough to have a paralysing stroke Our Masters have laws that ensure you endlessly endure passive torture. All you can do is hope like hell it won't happen to you or those you care about ...

I say "Our Masters" and not "politicians" because politicos aren't the only ones running the show - big business, the church and the media rule us too. It's a four-way tug-o-war for a greater share of our control.

Increasingly I'm thinking the smart thing is to stay under the radar as much as possible because The Big People will never show you empathy or compassion - only the little people in our lives are on our side.

Soundcloud stream
Old 08-17-2012, 01:23 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Unfortunately, my random thought for today is a sad one...
Very saddening indeed, his only hope is to travel to a country were it's legal and accepted.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:39 AM
Platinum Member

I'm with you Grea. I was disgusted when I heard the verdict. I can't blame the judiciary but I can blame the law and the law here needs changing desperately.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:10 AM
Renegade

The judge could have created a precedent, given the extenuating circumstances and the "reasonable person" test. Yes, it would have created a stink and no doubt appeals - but it would be the right thing to do and would bring an important issue into the public eye.

But it would be risky for the judge's career prospects and peacefulness of family life.

It's everyone's biggest fear if life to be a full conscious and aware "vegetable", isn't it? Why leave us all at risk of this nightmare? The well connected people who decide these things for us have many more options available if worst came to worst for them ...

Soundcloud stream
Old 08-17-2012, 02:32 AM
Platinum Member

The judge could have created a legal precedent but this was really a criminal matter that requires a change in the law rather than a civil matter that works by legal precedent. I agree that the judge could have ruled favourably in one sense or another but their hands were largely tied. That's why I'm not blaming the judiciary here.

In his situation, I would want the option to be able to die.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:52 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
In his situation, I would want the option to be able to die.
So would I... and I would travel in a place were I would be helped.

... and to date, there's not many places http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_euthanasia
Old 08-17-2012, 03:14 AM
Platinum Member

I can only imagine the horror of a degenerative condition. A few months ago I lost a very close relative quite suddenly. It was (and is) very difficult to come to terms with, having been present at the time of his passing but it was a painless and peaceful passing.

It greatly upsets me, therefore, when I see abhorrent suffering like this. It is cruel and it is inhumane. Many have commented that if this suffering were allowed to occur to an animal, then the owner may be considered inhumane. I find it all very distressing.

In slightly (although still dark) brighter news, Ian Brady has allegedly confessed to where the body of Keith Bennett lies and woman has been arrested in connection. For those of you who are not initiated, Ian Brady is a British serial killer that murdered (along with Myra Hindley) several children in the early 1960s. Keith Bennett's body is the last one to be located and it has taken nearly fifty years for it to be revealed. I feel a great sense of relief for the family in this difficult time.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:01 AM
Renegade

Thing is, it's not even euthanasia, it's assisted suicide. Sorry about gloomy talk - just that article struck a nerve with me. I guess being at an age where things like that become more likely to happen to you brings it home.

Here's something to cheer up with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10qFyJARcW4

Soundcloud stream
Old 08-17-2012, 04:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thing is, it's not even euthanasia, it's assisted suicide. Sorry about gloomy talk - just that article struck a nerve with me. I guess being at an age where things like that become more likely to happen to you brings it home.

This just cheered me up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I70NvpaWNoc

And this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyZspqjtG2k
Old 08-17-2012, 05:14 AM
Platinum Member

When I need to be cheered up, to laugh when I really don't feel like it, this always does the job.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:13 AM
Renegade

Here's a real upper: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFvgCtomkqE

Soundcloud stream
Old 08-17-2012, 11:26 AM
nhzoso

Quote:
Oh well, I'd hate it. The irony is that circumstances largely beyond my control have moved me into an ultra right wing suburb after a dozen years living in one of Sydney's most boho suburbs :)

This area feels a bit constrictive to me, so pristine that it feels like going to someone's house that's immaculate and you're almost afraid to sit on anything. I miss the grime and easygoing live-and-let-live vibe of my old lefty area, so I go there for coffee once a week (where the only issue is avoiding the weird old Slavic guy who goes to my favourite cafe and keeps trying to crack on to me. Must be frickin blind haha).

On the plus side, the more spacious living in Snobsville means I can now play my acoustic kit at home. Swings and roundabouts ...
Nah not like that at all here. Anything but ultra right wing, however if your not sure you can control your urge to drink a 32oz pepsi and would like the government to remove the personal responsibility of not drinking it than this is probably not the place for you.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by con struct View Post
When I need to be cheered up, to laugh when I really don't feel like it, this always does the job.
I'm partial to the "dead parrot" skit myself,and the" I'm a lumberjack"song never fails to make me smile.I just imagine singing the song in a crowded Southern Baptist church............praise the lord brothers and sisters..............can I get an amen:)

Steve B
Old 08-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The judge could have created a precedent, given the extenuating circumstances and the "reasonable person" test. Yes, it would have created a stink and no doubt appeals - but it would be the right thing to do and would bring an important issue into the public eye.

But it would be risky for the judge's career prospects and peacefulness of family life.

It's everyone's biggest fear if life to be a full conscious and aware "vegetable", isn't it? Why leave us all at risk of this nightmare? The well connected people who decide these things for us have many more options available if worst came to worst for them ...
It's what Dr.Jack Kavorkian went to jail for here in the states.It's a shame that western society still chooses a lingering death,instead of a dignified one.

Steve B
Old 08-17-2012, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Hey..if your in a Mayall mood,and need something a little more uplifting....the Bluesbreakers live at the Fillmore..."Room to Move"...will get your toe to tappin'.:)

Steve B
Old 08-17-2012, 06:15 PM

Am I getting too old to play in a band called "Dr. Sparkle"?
Old 08-17-2012, 07:19 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon e rotten View Post
It depends... does your drumming shines? ...glow? ...it's flashy? ...it's full of fire? ..if you can answer yes to these questions Jon, no doubt you're the man for the job... just get a kit with a nice sparkle finish and you're on your way :)
Old 08-17-2012, 08:04 PM
nhzoso

As I was standing in line at the auto store today buying a new interior light bulb it occured to me that I have replaced every single light bulb in my car after 120k miles except the damn Check Engine light? hmmmmmmmmm
Old 08-17-2012, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon e rotten View Post
Nobody should be in a band called "Dr.Sparkle":)

Steve B
Old 08-17-2012, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
As I was standing in line at the auto store today buying a new interior light bulb it occured to me that I have replaced every single light bulb in my car after 120k miles except the damn Check Engine light? hmmmmmmmmm
But thats a good thing,because when that light comes on.......bad things happen.:)

Steve B
Old 08-18-2012, 02:10 AM
Renegade

Quote:
... if your not sure you can control your urge to drink a 32oz pepsi and would like the government to remove the personal responsibility of not drinking it than this is probably not the place for you.
Geez, you don't want people taking responsibility for their actions! What would happen to billionaires who effectively run the country while paying less personal income tax than the average shmuck on a wage?

Still, billionaires in the US are waaay better than Australian ones ... at least some of your guys give back to society for providing them with the chance to be amongst the most blessed 0.0000000001% of people in history. Our tycoons are less mature, alas.

Quote:
It's a shame that western society still chooses a lingering death,instead of a dignified one.
Well said, Steve

Quote:
Hey..if your in a Mayall mood,and need something a little more uplifting....the Bluesbreakers live at the Fillmore..."Room to Move"...will get your toe to tappin'.:)
I used to have that track on another live album, Moving On. My fave on the album was High Pressure Living.

Quote:
I'm partial to the "dead parrot" skit myself,and the" I'm a lumberjack"song never fails to make me smile.I just imagine singing the song in a crowded Southern Baptist church............praise the lord brothers and sisters..............can I get an amen:)
The clergy would be thinking "Oh no! He must know my secret!".

And don't forget The Four Yorkshiremen ...

Soundcloud stream

Last edited by Anon La Ply; 08-18-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:08 AM
Platinum Member

I'm starting to take painting classes. I've already had one, a beginner's acrylic class. I loved it, and I love to paint. My music room now looks like an arts and crafts space. And today I signed up for a color theory class.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:38 AM
Platinum Member

Is the zombie apocalypse for real? First of all, they are seeding the clouds with who knows what besides barium and aluminum whatever it is. They create biological scares, then provide vaccinations.

Why would they allow assisted suicide when it's more profitable to keep people alive and suffering for as long as possible? It's all about the bottom line and the shareholders. The heck with humanity. That kind of thinking is feelings based and therefore liberal and democratic.

If a lie is repeated enough times, it will be accepted as a truth because we are sheeple.....feeders...