DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-02-2012, 10:47 PM

Default Ahead Armour Bags

Thoughts on this product? Price wise they seem to be on par with Tuxedo/Drum Seeker.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:48 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Ahead Armour Bags

The Ahead bags are really nice. Good zippers, and they seem like they'd be way easier to deal with than the regular type bags friends of mine have (I use Enduro's).

The couple bags I saw (they keep them in a different area than the showroom floor) seemed like they'd really stay standing up, while other bags kinda flop over.

Even the small sample bag they have on the counter for the brochure is heavy duty durable looking.
The lining is real nice.
The hardware case/bag they had a while ago was pretty slick. Looked like plenty of room, the wheels worked easily, and the handle was pretty great.

I'm actually debating between the Ahead 24" cymbal bag, and the Ludwig Atlas Cymbal bag.

Both are nice, and have similar features, but the Ahead is a little more subdued--not sure if all the Red on the Ludwig bag say's "Here I am!, steal me" or " I'm noticeable if you try to steal me".
I've always had "basic Black" cases, stick bags and cymbal bags.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:36 PM
Gold Member

Nice bags, especially if you have the RIMS gear that sticks out on your toms. Love the tear drop shape and the zippers surround the case so you can quickly pack and unpack your drums. They look like they could withstand at least a little rain, or even spilled beer but I've avoided both so far.

The padding on the inside reminds me of thick sheepskin seat covers. If you let them sit, they're thick enough to hold their shape upright. GC had a sale on them, so it was hard to pass up. I'd probably get SKB hard cases but they would be worth more than my gigging kit. I do carry my snares in an SKB hard case since they cost more than the rest of the kit.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:42 PM

Thanks guys. A friend of mine who gigs regularly said that the issue he has with the sheepskin lining is that it holds moisture and could be a problem for people who play outdoor gigs. I may just end up going with Tuxedo Bags at the end of the day for this reason.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:26 PM
Silver Member

I play Protection Racket wich helped this company start with their expertise if in right. The sheep slin really ads an wxtra dimension it keeps the drums dust clean and for the cymbal bags it polishes them slightly too. I woul ld recommand the PR Cymbal backpack though which is nearly the same as the Ahead but lighter.

Dont be affraid of moisture sticking in the wool.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:42 PM
Platinum Member

I've had the Protection Racket cymbal bag for 2 or 3 years. Never had any "moisture" issues with the padding in it.
It's not made from cotton or wool anyway, so it wouldn't attract, or hold any moisture.

I needed another bag, & I just bought a 24" Ahead Cymbal bag today.
I decided against the Ludwig because it was already kinda heavy empty.
It was a nice bag but, eh... it was kinda "logo heavy" for my tastes too.

On the Ahead, the zippers are very nice (larger pulls than on the P Racket).
The Ahead and PR bags are essentially "the same", but my guy at the shop said the stitching on the Ahead is nicer from what he's seen come in (they carry both brands) recently compared to PR.

The Ahead's shoulder strap has nice padding, and a material over the padded section (feels pretty nice on the shoulder).
The Ahead also lists at $40 less than the Protection Racket cymbal bag.

The inserts for cymbals aren't super thick, but since my PR bag is a couple years old, they may be the same as the Ahead inserts now too. I think the thinner cymbal pouches work just as easy anyway, so I don't mind.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:29 AM

Thank you for the input. I went with the Ahead bags for the drums. Got a great deal on musiciansfriend.com. I used a coupon code to get an additional 12% off. It was tough to beat. I'm going to get a hard shell case though for the snare drum.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Silver Member

If you want the pro's of a bag and the pro's of a case together, check out the Protection Racket AAA cases, hese are the same but with plastic inlaybetween the inner and outer bag, wich gives the same protection as the cases.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeberk1 View Post
Thank you for the input. I went with the Ahead bags for the drums. Got a great deal on musiciansfriend.com. I used a coupon code to get an additional 12% off. It was tough to beat. I'm going to get a hard shell case though for the snare drum.
Definitely SKB for the snare. My snares cost as much as the gigging kit.