DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 07-12-2012, 01:57 AM

Default DW 9000 a good pedal?

so im about to invest on a 9000 single pedal. is this an ''amazing pedal'' as i have heard? im looking for a really smooth comfortable pedal that i can play really fast with and will last forever. before i finish i would like to say that i have read alot of negative reviews on it. i find that all those reviews always come from drummers who play metal, heavy rock or double pedal related music. i am in no way a metal drummer and i dont play hard loud music. i am looking to use this for more of indie/jazz/electronic kinda drumming.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:07 AM

Default Re: DW 9000 a good pedal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurrealSound View Post
so im about to invest on a 9000 single pedal. is this an ''amazing pedal'' as i have heard? im looking for a really smooth comfortable pedal that i can play really fast with and will last forever. before i finish i would like to say that i have read alot of negative reviews on it. i find that all those reviews always come from drummers who play metal, heavy rock or double pedal related music. i am in no way a metal drummer and i dont play hard loud music. i am looking to use this for more of indie/jazz/electronic kinda drumming.
I dont see how noone gets this yet, but GO TRY IT OUT!

Pedals are a personal preference/feel thing, and for as much as that overpriced monstrosity costs, I would be trying it out before dropping that much coin on it.

IMHO, I love my mapex Falcon, every bit as smooth as every 9000 Ive played, has the same features, except its smartly engineered, instead of just being engineered for the sake of engineering... One of my biggest peeves is the spring tension adjustment being located inboard of the pedal supports on the 9000... who the hell thought that was a good idea?

The mapex has a ton of features, is so smooth, you can change between two cam profiles, and two strap or chain selections within a minute or so with literally no disassembly, and it looks great, and solidly, and smartly built.

But again, go spend 45 minutes with both before buying, its all up to your feet. not others.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:17 AM

+1 on the go try it out (if you can). It is a personal decision and what others think is less important than what you think when using it.

That said, I have the 9000 double pedal and I'll never buy another pedal again (and I'm sure it'll last that long).

I don't really play metal or super fast double bass either, so I can't say if it's good for that. I bought mine after being really disappointed by the Sonor Giant Step. It wasn't a quality thing, it just didn't feel right to me (again, personal decision).
Old 07-12-2012, 02:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards1008 View Post
I dont see how noone gets this yet, but GO TRY IT OUT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoom View Post
+1 on the go try it out
+3.

Pedals are like shoes......what fits one guy, will blister another.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:09 AM
Platinum Member

They're a very hyped pedal and I think people expect so much from them that when they do go and try them we see a bit of backlash online. I find them too heavy personally, I'd rather the tama, pearl or mapex.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:41 AM
Platinum Member

Since you live in San Diego, I can't believe that you're not able to find a store near you that has one in stock that you can try for a few minutes on a bass drum. Definitely do that and see if you like it. While you're at it, try all the other pedals they have too. Pedals aren't all that different from one another but your foot will tell you which one you should buy. Make sure you wear the shoes you normally play drums in too.

I had one, and although I didn't think it was over-hyped (it is a very good and smooth pedal to use), I didn't think it felt $120 better than a DW5000 single pedal that sells for $179. I eventually left the DW camp and went to the Tama Iron Cobra with a strap rather than a sprocket and chain and that's now my most favorite pedal. I had forgotten how comfortable a strap feels. My foot is lovin' it!
Old 07-12-2012, 05:48 AM
audiotech

The main reason I never liked the DW 9000 pedal was because of where the tension spring is located. You might not find this objectionable. The only way to buy a pedal of this magnitude is in person. You might just find something even more suitable for your style of playing.

Dennis
Old 07-12-2012, 06:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards1008 View Post
GO TRY IT OUT!
Yup. You gotta make that call yourself.
I've put my feet/foot on just about every pedal out there. And I play a Yamaha Direct Drive single pedal. I own 3. And when I want a double-pedal, I have a Sleishman. Yeah, I've played the 9000, and AXIS pedals ..... and those from Pearl, Tama, Gibraltar, Sonor .... and more. As far as DW, my favorite is the 5000. Had one of those right before I switched to the Yamaha.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:31 PM

Go try it out. I tried one out at my local Guitar Center. I then bought the display model from them (it looked pretty new, even for a display model) and bargained my way into buying it from them for $170 with tax because it was "used". Almost 50% for a slightly used pedal with warranty! The pedal is definitely worth it at that price.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Silver Member

I think the new 5000 's are a better choice - I prefer the feel, simpler design.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:38 PM
Silver Member

The one and only time I tried a DW 9000 I found it to be a massive disappointment. Even before I attached this pedal to the bass drum hoop I was struck by how insubstantial it felt. There's a scene in Jurassic Park where the guests are riding through the dinosaur paddocks and one of the kids finds some night-vision goggles in the car and the slimy lawyer asks "are they heavy?" and the kids says "yeah" and the lawyer says "then they're expensive - put 'em back". This pedal is the antithesis of that: I really expected the pedal that costs about twice as much as most of the rest to feel sturdier than it did. The base plate felt like it was made out of tin foil and the overall design seemed a bit shoddy compared to other pedals.

As soon as I started playing it, it felt wrong. The velcro attached to the bottom of the base plate may be great for preventing slippage but it also makes it difficult to get the pedal on the hoop in the first place. If the bass drum is on a carpet then most pedals can just quickly slide onto the hoop. This one just sticks to the carpet and so I had to hold the drum up in the air higher than I usually care to while I positioned the pedal correctly which I found unnecessarily awkward.

As already mentioned,
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
The main reason I never liked the DW 9000 pedal was because of where the tension spring is located
The "floating swivel" spring not only gave the pedal a disconcertingly disconnected feel but is also situated on the inside of the frame which makes it less accessible than the springs on other pedals. Also if you want to change or alter the spring you have to fiddle around with adjusting the top of the spring by threading an allen key through the frame of the pedal.

DW boast that the cam on this pedal is "infinitely adjustable" and indeed if I fannied about with this pedal until the end of time I may have one day found a setting that was comfortable for me, but I just don't see where they get off charging so much for this pedal. If it was in the same price bracket as its competitors then I'd say you could do worse - but it ain't anything special.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Silver Member

I have a DW9000 and I love it. It feels like an extension of my foot.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:05 PM
Gold Member

If you can get past the spring inside the post, STICKY Velcro on the bottom, and price - it's actually a good pedal. Smooth, liquid butter. I have Trick pedals that have some crazy velcro at the bottom, so I just have a piece of plastic about the size of an envelope that I stick between the velco and rug to separate them or mount them.

Definitely overengineered. I've kept mine for my practice pad and gigging kit.

So now I'll drop the popular saying from the "PEDALS" thread:

"It's more the skills, than the gear..."
Old 07-15-2012, 06:38 PM

i have a 9000 double chain drive and a iron cobra double strap drive the 9000 is amazing smooth solid well made and a great pedal i like it a lot more than my iron cobra
Old 07-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
They're a very hyped pedal and I think people expect so much from them that when they do go and try them we see a bit of backlash online. I find them too heavy personally, I'd rather the tama, pearl or mapex.
I'm gonna back pedal on this. I tried one again today and realized the beater must have been stupidly high last time I tried it because I was able to jump on and play it like a demon this time. Velcro might bother me if I was always setting up but you could always place the pedal down before the drum. I've also been trying the eliminator chain + strap as well as the mapex and I think I like the 9000 most, although the price is a barrier. The mapex seems the heaviest to me but maybe it's the settings on the one I tried.. I shouldnt have commented on the mapex before trying it either.

*slaps self*

I've realized I don't get enough feel from direct drives and it just makes it harder to stay in time. Hoping I can use chains on my demon drive when they release the demon chain, that will hopefully be another option.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

If I may chime in something slightly ironic: I do think it's funny that we're willing to spend hundreds of dollars on uber-adjustable pedals only to make them feel like "that pedal we owned as a kid". I can admit it. Mine was an ancient Slingerland Tempo King (I had a Ludwig Speed King too), then over the ensuing 30 years I think I tried them all and ended up with the Tempo King with a better build ;). Too funny.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:06 PM

As long as your at the store trying it out (and if your experience is like mine, you won't like it), give the Tama Speed Cobra a try too. Now THAT'S an amazing pedal, IMO.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Silver Member

I owned a DW9000 pedal and I really wanted to like it, but just couldn't get it to feel comfortable. I now go between a Trick Pro 1V and an Axis X Longboard and much prefer these to the DW.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Platinum Member

I've actually had a great opportunity to do some extensive playing on this pedal without having to buy it. My regular pedal is an Axis from the 90's. It started out as a double pedal, but I broke one and had to fix it with the other. So I've been playing the Axis for the last 14 years or so. Before that I had a Speed King and a standard Pearl chain drive.

I have a DW5000 double pedal that I think is still in storage at my mom's house. I tried it in 2008 when I bought an e-kit, wasn't too impressed with it, but still a good functioning pedal. I'll tell you what though, I love this DW9000 pedal. I like it more than my Axis, which I still like and play on my kit.

I don't think a few kicks in a store can really tell the whole story on how a pedal is going to perform for you. I'm going to try my old Asba pedal next practice and compare that to the Axis.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:12 PM

You definitely need to try it out before buying it.
I think that for your purposes, a DW 5000 single would suit you real well. I've played a few and they were incredibly smooth. Not only that but I felt I had a greater amount of control of how much volume I wanted to get out of my bass drum.

But go play before buying it! It's mainly preference!
Old 08-08-2012, 11:24 PM

Right now I use the stock Tama HP300's that came with my kits. Once I stick a bit more money aside, I will definitely be shelling out the dough for the Yamaha 9500D's. They are a direct drive set up. You get tons of power and speed, but most importantly, at least for me, was accuracy. I have never felt another pedal like it. It actually helped my timing. They are just so smooth. I love Yamaha hardware, but those pedals take the cake. They are a thing of beauty! Try one if the have them. I can not wait!
Old 08-10-2012, 04:11 AM

I own several pedals, including a DW9000 and a Tama Iron Cobra. I think I paid $120 for the Tama, and maybe $299 for the DW. Personally, I prefer the Iron Cobra. It is adjustable in many different ways that the DW9000 is not. I don't have to fight with velcro on the Iron Cobra as I do on the DW9000.

If you really want a DW pedal, try the 5000 series. Several people in this thread favor it over the 9000. Less money, no velcro, and the spring is on the outside.

It's all about personal preference. One person's garbage is another person's treasure !!