DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 05-24-2012, 03:28 AM
Silver Member

Default My first Meinl

So I've officially joined the Meinl club.

Yesterday afternoon I took the plunge and purchased my first Meinl - a 20" Byzance Jazz Medium Thin Ride. My local music store had a huge discount on their Meinl range and this one just stuck out at me.

There is so much lovely dark, complex wash on this guy along with quite a pronounced bell. I'll be using this pretty much exclusively as a crash, and it works wonderfully in that role.

Apologies for the iPhone photos - I'll be introducing this to rest of my kit shortly and take some better photos then.
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2012, 03:32 AM

Default Re: My first Meinl

It's like sex in cymbal form

If I wasn't such a die hard Zildjian guy, I'd be all over that Byzance series like flies to dung. Great purchase

Jackson
Old 05-24-2012, 06:47 AM
Gold Member

Congratulations and welcome to the dark side! We have cookies for you.
I might buy that one, too, but I don't know if it's too similar to my Extra Thin Hammered?
Old 05-24-2012, 11:37 AM

Looks amazing !!!

Cymbal sex always lasts ;) !
Old 05-24-2012, 12:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
My local music store had a huge discount on their Meinl range and this one just stuck out at me.
meinl may madness. all meinl australia wide was 20% off or something, congrats!
Old 05-25-2012, 03:08 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameo View Post
Congratulations and welcome to the dark side! We have cookies for you.
I might buy that one, too, but I don't know if it's too similar to my Extra Thin Hammered?
Thanks man! Have to say ogling your set was one of the things that convinced me to try out some Meinls (that and every Benny Greb video on Youtube). The Jazz med-thins are on average around 1900 grams, so they're a little heavier than the Thin Extra Hammereds. From the few sound clips I've heard comparatively the Jazz Med Thin has more body and a little less of a trashy character.

I'm actually thinking about getting an 18" Extra Hammered and a 18" Trad Heavy crash as a pair of hats down the line! But first will be investing in a 22" Sand Ride and finding a suitable partner for the Jazz Medium Thin, possibly a 20" Traditional Medium Crash or a Jazz Sweet/Sweet Light Ride.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Thanks man! Have to say ogling your set was one of the things that convinced me to try out some Meinls (that and every Benny Greb video on Youtube). The Jazz med-thins are on average around 1900 grams, so they're a little heavier than the Thin Extra Hammereds. From the few sound clips I've heard comparatively the Jazz Med Thin has more body and a little less of a trashy character.

I'm actually thinking about getting an 18" Extra Hammered and a 18" Trad Heavy crash as a pair of hats down the line! But first will be investing in a 22" Sand Ride and finding a suitable partner for the Jazz Medium Thin, possibly a 20" Traditional Medium Crash or a Jazz Sweet/Sweet Light Ride.
Nice to hear! I'm buying some new pies. Had a 20" Sand Ride and hate myself for getting rid of it. But I'll get the 22" or a 21" Dark Raw Bell. There's this deal with a Meinl Byzance-package (14", 18", 19", 21") My friend lets me choose whichever I want.

I plan to purchase the 14" Traditional Medium hats, 18" traditional medium or heavy crash (I'll match it with my 18" Extra Dry for shloshy hi-hats), 19" med-thin and a Raw Bell... or convince him to let me by a 13" Dark and a 22" Sand instead.

Hope that made any sense, lol.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Silver Member

So added the Meinl to my setup which freed up some crashes to make some 18" hats!

Specs:

18" HHX Evo crash over 18" Signature Saturation Crash (as hats)
19" AAX Xplosion Crash
22" AAX Omni
20" Byzance Jazz Medium Thin Ride
21" Vault Holy China
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
So I've officially joined the Meinl club.

Yesterday afternoon I took the plunge and purchased my first Meinl - a 20" Byzance Jazz Medium Thin Ride. My local music store had a huge discount on their Meinl range and this one just stuck out at me.

There is so much lovely dark, complex wash on this guy along with quite a pronounced bell. I'll be using this pretty much exclusively as a crash, and it works wonderfully in that role.

Apologies for the iPhone photos - I'll be introducing this to rest of my kit shortly and take some better photos then.
Hey man,

I've had the same cymbal for about 2 months now and I'm using it as a crash also it's probably my favorite crash cymbal now!
Old 08-09-2012, 06:15 AM

Nice Kit! :D