DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Silver Member

Default Evans Power Center Rev. Dot: Experience?

I just picked up an Evans Power Center Reverse Dot head for my Ludwig Centurian maple 14"x6.5" snare drum. I've tried a mid and upper-mid tuning, but can't get it to settle down when it's hit outside of the dot. It rings like a timbale!

Before I go putting my Ambassador back on, is there a trick to get this thing to be a bit more uniform over the head, or is the design going to make it only sound good when struck on the dot?

I'm looking for a snare head that will not only sound good at light and medium levels, but when really smacked it still has tone. I don't think this Evans head is the answer, neither is the Ambassador head. If I tune it mid, it sounds good loud but doesn't cut through dynamically. If I tune it upper-mid it sounds great at lower volumes but loses its body when really hit.
I'm considering a thicker single-ply head, but would also try a 2-ply. I'd also consider your tuning ideas for this head. Suggestions?
Old 07-19-2012, 02:34 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Evans Power Center Rev. Dot: Experience?

Maybe an Evans Genera dry or ST dry. I have power centers on most of my snares but a few just dont seem to work, you can also get the heads I mentioned in a non dry version.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:48 PM
Silver Member

Those both seem like possibilities and good suggestions, thanks. I figure it's gotta be something that's thicker than an Ambassador. That ST Dry actually seems in the neighborhood of what I'm thinking of.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:25 PM
Silver Member

I use the PCRD on my 13x6.5 maple. I love the head. No complaints from me. But I tend to only hit in the center.

MeetAtSundown.com
MAS on facebook
Old 07-19-2012, 04:42 PM

I have an EC Reverse Dot on a snare and it definitely has some ring when hit off centre. I don't really use it enough to say how it acts at different tunings.

I have a slightly modified Genera Dry on another drum, took out the inner muffling ring, I think it's a terrific balance of crispy snares and a pingy rimshot.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyhanson View Post
I just picked up an Evans Power Center Reverse Dot head for my Ludwig Centurian maple 14"x6.5" snare drum. I've tried a mid and upper-mid tuning, but can't get it to settle down when it's hit outside of the dot. It rings like a timbale!

I'm considering a thicker single-ply head, but would also try a 2-ply. I'd also consider your tuning ideas for this head. Suggestions?
This is why this head does not work, IMO. Off center it sucks.
I suggest a 2 ply head or EVnas Genera, but thats kind of dry too.
You just can't beat an Amb on a snare.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

I use a PCRD on my steel 5.5"x14" snare and it has a bit of ring, but really nothing more than a single-ply head with no muffling would give me. I tune it medium-tight, with the bottom head tuned about half-a-turn lower, and if I need muffling I throw a studio ring on it.

Most of the snare ring you hear is going to add to cut and projection, and unless you're miking the drum in a studio setting, it shouldn't be noticeable to anyone else. I usually play it unmuffled live. It's a pretty responsive, crisp head, but then again this is a very lively, sensitive drum. Your results may vary.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
You just can't beat an Amb on a snare.
I agree, and this is the first time that I've come across a snare drum that doesn't sound right with one on it. It's like all the oomph goes away when it's hit hard.
And I'm okay with some ring on my snare, but that head was just out of control when it came to ring. It would do it right outside of the dot, and not in a pretty way, either. I should record it.
My problem with the PCRD, Al, is that it forces me to be more exact on where I'm hitting the snare drum. It seems to focus the sweet spot so much that anything directly off-center is just buried in "shraaaaang".
I'll mess around with it a little more, but unless I can make it work I'm probably going to try something else [2ply likely].
Thanks for the tips, guys. Much appreciated.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:28 PM
Administrator

I had the same problem with the controlled sound head by Remo that came with my Gretsch Brooklyn snare. Went back to my old reliable Evans HD dry, and the sound is perfect.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:49 PM
audiotech

Even with my recent problems with some Evans heads, the Power Center Reverse Dot head remains a staple, at least for the time being, on most of my snares. I've been using it for about five years, so far without issues. I do tend to concentrate my hits to its center and tune it from medium to high tension.

Dennis
Old 07-20-2012, 01:09 AM
Platinum Member

One of my 13s came with that reverse Evans dot thingy and I just couldn't get into it. Not on a snare drum. When I was a kid I had black dots on toms and bass drums and those worked great there. Not so much on a snare. I need that drum to be as ringy and responsive as possible. A regular G1 or G2 coated (or coated Ambassador or Emperor) works fine for me.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:07 AM
Platinum Member

Sorry, but that is my go-to snare batter. I have used it on three snares, one maple, one steel, and one aluminum. I love how it rings for a brief moment, and I have not noticed any problem hitting it outside of the dot. I have tuned them from medium high to very high, and those heads have sounded great on my snares. I like very slight muffling on my snares, and the EC Reverse Dot batter fits my sound almost perfectly.

Maybe you should tune it a bit higher. Good luck getting the sound you want.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / ProMark

Last edited by Drumolator; 07-20-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:29 AM

I tried the head sounded good but the dot on the underside started to break away in piece of the head. The top had lots of life in it yet.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:29 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the responses, guys. Good to see I'm not the only one who has tried it with unsatisfactory results. Also good to see that there are people that have gotten it to work, so that gives me hope.
I'm gonna try an emperor-weight head and a 2-ply and see which one works best. I think I need something that has a uniform design across the head, and not with impact enhancements. I thought that's what I might have needed originally, but it's not seeming that way.

I tune my snare for upper-high and like a good pop. I'm missing tone when I really hit it, but it sounds great at lower volumes. I don't mind some ring, as I can usually work with it. I do, however, prefer a more focused tone, so I'd sit sometimes on the muffly side of the tracks.
I'm not a spaz, so I'm not all over the snare drum, but I'm also not a weckl. I'd like to have the whole surface under control.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:19 AM
Silver Member

Update:
So, a couple things happened today. First, my eternal wait was finally over...3 years I've been waiting for some of my stuff to come around the world to me....and I got my other snare drum, a Pearl 14"x6.5" Free Floater with an Aluminum shell. I use an Ambassador on it and love it, but I thought I'd give the EPCR a spin on it. It sounded pretty good there, especially cranked high. I tried doing that on the wood snare like you suggested, Drumolator, but I just didn't get the results I was looking for.

But it sounds good on the Pearl. Weird. Maybe it's a wood thing?

Oh, I also went down to band practice tonight and did a couple of things different: I put the Ambassador back on the wood snare and lowered the tuning a little on the resonant head. It seemed to give me almost all the power I was looking for, but I still think an Emperor-thickness head will do better.

I think I've also had to do a little getting used to this wood snare, as it's my first. Maybe I'm trying to make it do something it doesn't like to do.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:50 AM
Platinum Member

Lots of things affect which heads work - shell materials and construction, snare bed contour and depth, bearing edges, etc. You just have to trust what your ears tell you.

My personal experience with dotted heads in general, on snares, is similar to yours. To me, they have a great backbeat sound, but added overtones outside the dot. I didn't mind it as much on my snares, but the same characteristics were present.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:08 AM
Silver Member

Yeah, and I can see the benefit of a dot for a tom head, definitely. This drum must have a point right before choking where it'll do what I'm wanting. Last night was definitely more satisfying than before, although that was from an Ambassador.
What about this theory: since metal has a livelier, more-overtoney sound in general, as opposed to a wood snare being more subdued, warmer and 'woodier' sounding, perhaps the EPCR brings out the overtones more in wood than in metal, or seems like it. Where on metal the head has a more uniform feeling, on wood the overtones sound forced and manufactured. And the wood doesn't have the nice ring overtone, but more of a "sproing".
The sproing is my problem. The EPCR, when hit in the center, makes the snare wires snap, but when hit off-center, it almost sounds like the snare wires are only reacting from the edges. This only happens with the EPCR and not with the Ambassador.

A large part of this whole thing is basically me getting used to the sound of the wood snare. It sounds great tonally, but it just feels like it's got a limiter on it. The EPCR is just testing my sanity.
Thanks. I appreciate the interest, the suggestions and the experienced advice.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:20 PM

I've used it before on my Chad Smith snare, but it was a long time ago. From what I remember, it sounded alright, but it wasn't 100% for me. I use the ST Dry as my go-to head on this drum and the 14x6.5 maple I just built.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:17 PM

Hello All and Mikeyhanson,
There has been some great information passed around about the "Dot" heads. Here are my thoughts on your situation. With any Dot head, you are putting more mass in the center of the head, creating a Sweet Spot. Unfortunately this will not match the timbre of the other sections of the head due to the control patch changing the construction of the head in one area. The other two factors that may cause those extreme overtones are,
1. The snare side heads being too tight
2. The snares themselves being over tightened.
If you are looking for something else to try that is very durable and that may be more consistent across the head I would suggest-
G14 coated- http://evansdrumheads.com/EvProductD...ame=G14_Coated
Genra-http://evansdrumheads.com/EvProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3567&productid=430
HD-http://evansdrumheads.com/EvProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3567&productid=422
Thanks
Old 07-26-2012, 04:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I had the same problem with the controlled sound head by Remo that came with my Gretsch Brooklyn snare. Went back to my old reliable Evans HD dry, and the sound is perfect.
I agree with Grunter. The HD Dry heads are the best heads i've used on snares.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:51 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddariopercussion View Post
Hello All and Mikeyhanson,
Thanks
I appreciate the advice, Daddario and all. I went to the store looking for the G14 and the HD dry, but they [MusikProductiv] were out of stock on both. I'll look into them in the near future.

To update: I tried some other things....loosening the reso head, loosening the snare wires...but still couldn't get it in a happy place. I bought an Emperor and it's doing a much better job than the Ambassador for now. Once those Evans heads come back in I'll give 'em a try.
Thanks again!
Old 07-29-2012, 07:07 PM
Silver Member

Here's a little example of where I'm sitting so far:

http://youtu.be/5aFhAq5Dbcg
Old 07-29-2012, 07:33 PM
"Uncle Larry"

What snare doesn't ring when you get closer to the edges?
Old 07-30-2012, 12:11 AM
Silver Member

Yeah, and maybe I'm making too big of a thing out of it. I don't know. I guess I wasn't expecting that much of it.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Platinum Member

Well...last night at church I returned the Ludwig Supraphonic 14x5 snare to the church drum set, and it has an EC1 Reverse Dot batter head. Since I got there early, I played it on different places, and you are right. It does sound weird when struck outside the dot. I had never noticed because I always hit it on the dot. Three of the four snares I have played in the last year have that same head. So the EC1 Reverse Dot is great head, if you hit it on the dot. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / ProMark
Old 08-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
What snare doesn't ring when you get closer to the edges?
I've actually been noticing that lately on the snares I've been playing. Even mine.

One that has a somewhat uniform tone across the head is the HD Dry. I don't use those any more on my wood snares because they really darken the tone. But definitely would stick em on a ringy metal snare (besides my Stewart Copeland which is dry enough with an ST).

I've switched to the ST on all my maples even a 13x6.5 Tama Artwood. IMO, I get less of a ring as I leave the center of the head. Still get a ring as you travel outside the center so tuning and strainer tension help out here. All this has taught me to now hit in the center if I want minimal ring.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumolator View Post
It does sound weird when struck outside the dot.
Whew! Good....I'm not crazy. I was starting to wonder. There's still hope for me yet, though. Thanks for confirming that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinSD
One that has a somewhat uniform tone across the head is the HD Dry.
I was actually thinking of that very head for my next attempt. I'm torn between the HD Dry and the non-Dry. Will probably by both anyway.

Update: I have since given up on the PCRD. It just wasn't for me. I put an Emperor on in the meantime, and it's working better than the Ambassador did, so that's a good thing.
Thanks for all the tips and advice, guys. Much appreciated.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:47 PM
Gold Member

I just wanted to throw this out there, I am a big fan of Evans PCRD but recently I got a used snare with an Aqurian Hi energy head on it, its comparable to an Evans PCRD but its louder, I really like it so far, if you like PCRD you should give it a try.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyhanson View Post
Here's a little example of where I'm sitting so far:

http://youtu.be/5aFhAq5Dbcg
I checked out your vids, and honestly the head doesn't sound that bad outside the dot, not anywhere near as bad as I expected from your descriptions. Have you used it much in a musical situation, or are you just listening to these recordings? I think it would work great and give a good variety of sounds across the head in lots of situations.

I don't prefer the dotted heads, but I would choose that head any day over ANY of the moon-gelled options in the vids. To each their own, though.

The Emperor does sound better to me, and if that sound is closer to what you want, the regular coated ST head may get you there.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
I checked out your vids, and honestly the head doesn't sound that bad outside the dot, not anywhere near as bad as I expected from your descriptions. Have you used it much in a musical situation, or are you just listening to these recordings? I think it would work great and give a good variety of sounds across the head in lots of situations.

I don't prefer the dotted heads, but I would choose that head any day over ANY of the moon-gelled options in the vids. To each their own, though.

The Emperor does sound better to me, and if that sound is closer to what you want, the regular coated ST head may get you there.
Yeah, the vid really didn't bring out the "sproing" that I was getting live. I took it down to a band practice at that time and started playing with it, but I DID notice it and went to the Emperor. It sounds better to me as well [the ring is more musical, and not a 'sproing' sound], and I attribute it to the dotted head and the way I play my snare drum. I think I'm trying to get it to act like it's not supposed to act.
I was playing the Emperor again last night and it really sounded great. I might actually stop there [or ST] as far as thickness and plies goes.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Silver Member

I like how the ring is emphasized the further out I go from center towards edge of snare. I enjoy practicing dynamic rolls going form soft to loud and loud to soft while moving in and out of center utilizing a complimenting roll speed.

I also love the different flavor of rimshots I can get to spice things up depending on the song.

An Evans PCRD head came with my Tama metalworks steel snare and with the right tuning between it and the reso head the ring is tasteful and very welcomed for my taste.

If tuning to lessen the ring is not enough you could always try a tiny amount of gaffers tape or 1/3 piece of moongel to tame it down a little?

To the OP.... maybe you have too many expectations from you Ludwig Maple.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Silver Member

I've used the Evans PCRD and liked it but it wasn't a keeper for me.

I have 6 snares presently with a variety of heads on them.

After staying away from Remo for quite a few years, I've started to try them again. I've used all of the Big 3's reverse dot solutions and in general they all sound good. I'm using the Remo CS Dot (Underside) coated right now on one of my snares and it sounds very nice.
It should be noted though that I haven't ever used dot heads for durability. I'm not a hard hitter and I use brushes in some way on all of my snares. I'm more likely to change a snare batter head because the coating is worn and I can't get enough brush sound playing playing horizontally.

I'm primarily using a head because of the sound it gives me. I play mostly a variety of volume levels but rarely metal/punk volume levels. The heads first and foremost have to sound good for the general median types of music I play.

Therefore, I'm using the CS Dot head because it sounds a certain way and I like that it gets different sounds from edge to center. That's kind of how I want snares to be anyway. I want to be able to get more sounds so I can be more creative with snare playing.
The Evans and Aquarian versions of the Dot heads feel more similar to each other than Remo is to either. The Remo dot is thicker (As far as I can tell though not sure) and that changes the overall sound of the head which is basically an Ambassador.

If having more consistent sound across the head is important, I'd go with a non dot head. I like the coated Emperor (on My Ludwig Bronze), the coated G2 (on one of my maple Pork Pie snares) and want to try an Aquarian Response II at one point. The G14 does sound like a type of head that might work for the OP - but not myself.

Personally, I always want to be cautious about going too thick on my snare batter especially. I tried a Remo Vintage Ambassador on the Ludwig Bronze and quickly went back to an Emperor. The VA was just not sensitive enough and felt unmusical to me. I'm currently tring an Ambassador on that drum but will also try out Evans and Aquarian heads eventually. Like to keep my options open. :)

BTW: Not to to be one of 'those old guys' but...we have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to drum head types compared to when I started playing. All of the Big 3 manufacturers make at least good if not great products and there are so many different types to choose from. Enjoy the selection.

Jim

Jim Martin Music