DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 05-03-2012, 11:17 AM

Default Axis A21 laser double pedal problem

Hey hows it going guys. I have a pretty big problem and maybe you can help me, I apologize in advance for how complex this problem gets.
I have owned a pair of axis laser double pedals for about 2 months and they play a bit weird. My step dad has the axis longboard aL2 pedals and they play amazing, like a dream, i can heel toe and get lots of speed, and his pedals are grimey and beat up compare to my new Lasers.
My problem is, My laser pedals feel a bit stiff or heavy. I have tried many things to get them to play like my step dads and nothing has worked. I've tried every type of setting, I even set all of my settings(spring tension, board height, beater angle, drive lever,same spring type) like his and still they feel the same slow off and weird feeling. I tried the same beaters he is using on my pedals and still no improvment on the problem. It has nothing to do with the bass head tuning since I can feel the difference in performance before I even hit the drum. There are no musicstores around my area that carry Axis pedals(Or Trick pedals)so I can not try another pair either.
My pedals dont make any noise or squeaks, there is no rubbing or anything between the parts.

Here are the only differences between our pedals at the moment.
-Age, his are a year older than mine and have been played a lot more.
-21 degree beater angle feature on my pedals.
-Footboards

So my only ideas for what the problem is are,
1. I need to play my pedals for another few months before the bearings and parts loosen up and are broken in.(Even though my step dad claims his pedals have always performed like they do)
2. The manufacturer tightened my pedals a bit to much during the creation of my pedals and there is no fixing them.
3. The large footboard on my pedal is the thing giving me problems, and I need to sell my pedals and get the Axis Longboard AL2 pedals like my step dad, or sell them and save up for the derek roddy laser pedals(since they have the smaller pedal boards).
4. The pedals are just different pedals and I should accept that, and I should sell them and move on.

I'm so sad because I saved up so much money to get these pedals and they arnt working out for me even though they are supposed to be an upgrade from the AL2 pedals.

I called axis and they were stumped, maybe you can help. Thank you for your time and patience.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Axis A21 laser double pedal problem

Sounds like they may just not be the right pedal for you. If you like how your dad's feels then sell yours and buy the same ones he has.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Did you ever just walk into a music store, close your eyes (to brands, hype), test as many pedals as they had, checked how they felt to your feet and then decided which pedal suits you most?

I don't know how long you've been drumming, but it took me just a couple of months to get rid of that pedal hype as soon as I realised that if your feet are up to it, you can do anything on any pedal (not that I can do anything I wanted on a double pedal [yet], but the progress I made clearly showed me that I don't have to discard my beginner double pedal just because it's a beginner double pedal).

If you did a "blind" test checking out a pile of double pedals regardless of brand & price you might very likely find an affordable pedal which will do the trick - IF your feet can deliver. The best pedal in the world isn't going to make you any better per se, but practice will. Plus there is no "best" pedal anyway, you have to find out for yourself.

IMO your "problem" is anything but "complex". It's a perspective issue! Identify an "ok" pedal which can do anything (if your feet can do it), and practice your *ss off. This is the cruel reality - practice does the trick. From the moment you'll have that "ok" pedal stop wasting precious time and brain power on considering which pedal might be better - in whatever terms - but focus on working out your feet, this will be the shortest possible road to foot control. Practice time & practice quality, that's it.

Last edited by Arky; 05-03-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

Arky's right again.

I have owned a number of pedals over the last decade. I've owned very low-end, a DW5000, an old Pearl P-100 double (excellent pedal) and probably a few more. I have played a lot of different pedals and finally I decided to buy a very low-end Yamaha strap-drive pedal for 25 from eBay. It's just right for me. I'm happy to play that pedal despite its low-end status because it feels fantastic under my foot.

It might just be that your Axis pedals aren't for you. Maybe you should consider selling them and buying a second-hand set of what you Stepdad has with the proceeds. You obviously really like those pedals and perhaps those are the ones that you like.

On the other side of the coin, I can probably manage 95% of what I need to do on any pedal (after some adjustment) because I have a consistent set of foot techniques that do not rely on the pedal to be perfect. Some pedals feel better than others but I have no issue with jumping on a kit with another pedal and just playing. Find a pedal you like, and just play. Don't over-adjust, just set it somewhere in the middle and start there. You might find you have a preferred tension but I tell people not to touch anything on the pedal for at least two weeks to let yourself adjust. Once you're used to the pedal, then and only then start to adjust. I found after a year or two that I liked medium-low tension on my pedals but I developed basic technique before even adjusting.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Gold Member

Personally, I would keep the pedals (at least for a little while longer - until there broken in)..unlike what you're step dad said, pedals do change some with a little break-in period...I also agree with the last two posters...it's not the pedal, it's the person behind the pedal (ultimately)...
I've owned Axis pedals twice in the last twenty years...the first time I could never get used to the feel (back in the early 90's) and sold them...recently a few months back I decided to have another go on them and purchased the AL2 longboard CB double pedal (to replace DW9000) and absolutely love the pedal..much more than my 9000's (so much so that I plan on buying a second one to replace the 9000 on my e-kit)...
my advice..try some different adjustments on the pedal, live with it a little while longer and see if you don't get used to feel (and see if pedal doesn't break-in some - it probably will)..
Old 05-04-2012, 01:13 AM

I understand what you guys mean by its the player not the pedal. Its just that I can feel a great deal of ease on the AL 2 pedals in comparison to my laser pedals. I will take all of the advice here, and just keep playing for a while and try to keep the pedals in nice shape in case I decide to sell. Thank you very much.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:27 PM

Are you playing both pedals on the same bass drum??
Old 08-03-2012, 07:20 PM

*edit: I have the AXA2's, unfortunately I don't see the screw I'm referring to on the A21's; hopefully this helps someone else.

If your footboards r stiff try loosening the screw on the side of the heel block. You may want these as loose as they'll get without making the heels wiggle. Adjust the screw, if it works pick up some original loctite thread sealer. Remove screw, dab'll do, don't cover threads. Tighten to that sweet spot, let cure 24hrs. Worked for me; some may advise against setting the screw though the pedals made clicking noises otherwise. You may want the boards slightly more stiff so that the auxiliary side doesn't rock too freely when switching between hats n double.

One other mod I've done is replaced the auxiliary pedal's bumper guards with one inch 10-32 machine screws to catch the flooring.

Last edited by Tremulant; 08-03-2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: not same kix
Old 08-03-2012, 07:24 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

You can switch the footboards out. I'm sure Chuck or Karen could get you hooked up with them. Give either of them a shout and, see what kind of deal they can give you or point you in the right direction.

1 888 549 axis

D
Old 08-03-2012, 08:59 PM

Hi Derek, the post running through the toe piece that connects the linkage strap is squeaking. I don't notice it when I keep my foot on the pedal, it squeaks when I lift my foot off, switching to hats, allowing the board to rock freely. What do you recommend?