DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 07-11-2012, 07:52 AM

Default Used Iron Cobra Power Glide Twin Pedals Problem

Ok. I'm just about fed up with these pedals. I used to be able to unleash streams of fast double bass. I was also able to play slower more controlled double bass. I don't know if my Iron Cobra's wore out fast or what. My dad bought them about two years ago used off either Ebay or Craigslist and at first they worked great. Just by practicing a few weeks I could play pretty fast. I'm about two years in playing double bass and I can play much faster off the pedals than on them. I tried a friend's double bass and everything about it felt smoother and his was a mysterious gibralter double bass I had never heard of. I brought my pedals to a local store to fix, but they claimed there was no problem. I'm confused on what to do next. I started having problems with the slave pedal being unable to match up with the right, especially when the pedal springs are tight. The right works perfect, and the left feels sluggish and is very squeaky (which I thought was something the drum store would fix. I tried taking the pedal apart before and certain allen wrench lugs were completely stripped. Can I replace the slave pedal? Should I invest in a new pedal? I've been trying to practice at my house with the pedals awhile and they just feel so awkward to me. Any ideas?

P.S. I have no clue where to oil the pedals or with what. Would this provide any major improvement?

EDIT: I also want to add that no cobra coil came with these power glides, even though all I've seen have them, and the black piece at the top of the foot board was absent too.

Last edited by Xindalax; 07-11-2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Forgot something.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:04 PM
audiotech

Default Re: Used Iron Cobra Power Glide Twin Pedals Problem

First of all there were about three different versions of the "new" Power Glide pedal. The first had no area to attach the Cobra Coil, this is the version of the double pedal that I have and it's over four years old. After that the second version came out with the base plate modified for the "coil" but did not have it included. The third version came equipped from the factory with the Cobra Coil, I also have this in the Power Glide and Flexi Glide models. There has been a lot of references made to problematic bearings in the top of the support columns Were you able to get the top caps off the pedal to inspect them?

I haven't had a bit of problems with mine, but as I said, the problems are well documented. There's a person that hangs on here, now and again, and also in the Tama forum that has taken these pedals apart quite a few times to work on them. For the life of me I can't remember his user name. It's something like "Richo.....

Dennis
Old 07-11-2012, 04:34 PM

I have that second version, and I'm just not sure what to do. I'm very tired of the slave pedal, and it worked great at first, just now it's not working well. And I can't reassemble it, alot of the allen wrench parts are stripped.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:11 PM

Try getting new springs and put oil on the bearings and stuff. I believe the bearings could be worn out but I'm not sure.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:22 PM

I can't oil it very well, because where I hear the squeaking the screws are stripped, and try as I may I can't get the oil into those crevices. I think it's worn out. I've had it for two years and I'm beyond frustrated by it. I could play more even in the first year that I got it compared to now, after two years of playing.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Silver Member

If things are stripped it sounds like maybe the pedal was abused or not cared for. I've got an Iron Cobra that's about 13 or 14 years old and it works great. I've replaced the felt beaters a few times and another part that broke but they still work perfectly.

MeetAtSundown.com
MAS on facebook
Old 07-29-2012, 08:35 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
If things are stripped it sounds like maybe the pedal was abused or not cared for. I've got an Iron Cobra that's about 13 or 14 years old and it works great. I've replaced the felt beaters a few times and another part that broke but they still work perfectly.
I've an IC Double that age and the only thing which broke was the piece the beater slips into. On one of my first road gigs I had to adjust the throw, having just done a jazz gig with my 16 kicker, from my 26 or 24 (can't recall at the moment) to the backline 20 and I was a little too assertive with my allen wrench. Good thing the sound company and I always carry spares.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

What's the drive shaft like? That's the only hard wearing part on my 13 year old IC's. That's an easy fix but if it was bearings I'd probably bin it. It sounds like you're frustrated and you should get something brand new so that you can only blame yourself if you have trouble playing db.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
look at me, look at me...look what I do
Old 07-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedaclutch View Post
I've an IC Double that age and the only thing which broke was the piece the beater slips into. On one of my first road gigs I had to adjust the throw, having just done a jazz gig with my 16 kicker, from my 26 or 24 (can't recall at the moment) to the backline 20 and I was a little too assertive with my allen wrench. Good thing the sound company and I always carry spares.
Same piece that broke on mine. The new piece seems to be made better.

MeetAtSundown.com
MAS on facebook
Old 07-31-2012, 12:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Same piece that broke on mine. The new piece seems to be made better.
Lucky enough I don't often use my double as a double and swapped out the slave side piece afterwards. The replacement I ordered through Tama from GC, which was a ridiculous 2 month wait as they could not seem to order the correct part, appeared to be better engineered. Or, maybe it is just because it is chromed. Sure is pretty though.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Lucky enough I don't often use my double as a double and swapped out the slave side piece afterwards. The replacement I ordered through Tama from GC, which was a ridiculous 2 month wait as they could not seem to order the correct part, appeared to be better engineered. Or, maybe it is just because it is chromed. Sure is pretty though.
I got mine in stock at a local shop. Wasn't too pricey from what I remember...it was a few years ago.

MeetAtSundown.com
MAS on facebook
Old 08-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I got mine in stock at a local shop. Wasn't too pricey from what I remember...it was a few years ago.
The part was a few bucks, but GC ordered the wrong part several times. I had also ordered some parts for my Tama chair and they screwed that up as well. I just picked up another IC Double with a case from a pawn shop for $100. It is new but a little dusty. I love pawn shopping.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2012, 04:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
The part was a few bucks, but GC ordered the wrong part several times. I had also ordered some parts for my Tama chair and they screwed that up as well. I just picked up another IC Double with a case from a pawn shop for $100. It is new but a little dusty. I love pawn shopping.
Nice score. I'd like to pick up a 2nd one. I'm using a crappy Gibraltar double on my practice kit. It's slow and clunky but really makes the IC feel like butter when I play it at home.

MeetAtSundown.com
MAS on facebook