DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 07-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Gold Member

Default Acoustic to electric conversion?

Hi,
I've been thinking of this for a while and I have to ask myself, and all of you - is it worth it? Or should I buy myself a nice 2Box and use it with Toontrack's Superior Drummer add-on?

The options, please help me:
1. Outfit my Gretsch with Roland mesh pads, build triggers (look at picture), get the 2Box cymbal pack/use my Byzances as hybrid.

Trigger construction, build something DIY would be easy.

2. Just get a goddamn 2Box (or Yamaha, I don't really like the Roland, doesn't give you enough bang for the buck).

Anyone done this before? The conversion that is?
Old 07-16-2012, 12:16 AM

Default Re: Acoustic to electric conversion?

ive done it a few different ways, used mesh heads with ddrum triggers with a td12. now use regular heads with roland trigger on the bass. i say go with roland the response is worth it, and spend the loot on the roland triggers they seem to track better and last longer.mesh heads with ddrum or roland triggers work great, but the bass drum is a little tricky. i had to pack it tightly full of foam and random shit to get a solid feel. and also ran some clear packing tape(also under the trigger) along the center of the batter head with a beater patch to cut down on the beater bouncing and causing doubles i also used the rubber side of the beater instead of the felt for a more solid feel. it works great and the looks on peoples faces are priceless. i ran the drums through two kaos pads and live's fx which gave me delays beat repeat etc.. people freak out when the drums start glitching live.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameo View Post
Hi,

....get the 2Box cymbal pack/use my Byzances as hybrid....

I haven't had good success with trying to convert cymbals.
I haven't done any of the fancy stuff though. Just basically taped a piezo to them, ran an audio cord, and muffled them down with rubber type material.
Yes, they trigger, but only in a limited area, and getting rid of false triggers can be a chore.

If I follow through with the rest of the build I've started, I'll be using Yamaha PCY cymbals.

Overall, there can be a fair amount of work involved, and you might not save that much money in the end over a basic E kit, but it might be good to do for the experience if you're into that sort of thing.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:03 PM

Sorry to go completely around the question asked and pose one of my own but:

WTF is with those sticks? They make me giggle.