DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 07-16-2012, 12:17 PM

Default PDP 502? Good or bad?

So with my recently aquired employed status (thank god) I've had a lot more slack to keep my drum gear updated. I've been thinking long and hard about it, and the next thing I need to buy is a new double pedal. For the last 6 months I've had to use an old PDP double pedal (the 99.99 deals) because someone jacked my Tama Speedcobras.

Anywho, I don't want to blow a rediculous amount of money on another expensive pedal, because frankly I only use double bass for filler. I'm never playing fast notes for more than a second or so at most.

I was thinking DW 3000, but then I decided I might go with a DW 2000 instead. I'd used a 2000 for a while before and liked it. But then I came across the PDP 502 pedals.

The PDP 502s have base plates on both pedals, dual chains, and just appear to be really sturdy made vs. the 402 models (the modern version of what I'm currently using.)

But the PDP 502 pedals are even cheaper than the single chained DW 2000 pedals.

So I'd just love to know if any of you have used the 502 pedals, and if so what do you think of them? A lot of interviews on Musicians Friend compare them to the basic Iron Cobra pedals. Are they worth trying? I've tried DW 2000s and 3000s, so I could easily place an order without testing them, but should I have a look at these 502 pedals first?
Old 07-17-2012, 04:17 PM
PDPx7Drummer

Default Re: PDP 502? Good or bad?

I'm not going to sit here and tell you not to go with the DW 3000's Sticks (and if you go through my posts you will find my opinion's). These pedals may work better for you than they did me. For what they are and considering that you only want to do quick doubles as fillers every so often they may work great for you. Honestly though no matter if all you do is straight 1/4 note beats you want something that will make playing effortless and fun. IMO you should keep saving your money (like I am because I KNOW the difference between these 3000's and Tama pedals) and wait to get something good. Just my opinion.

Depending on if you are planning on going brand new, I wouldn't spend $200 on these 3000's and feel you should learn from MY mistakes. Well I wouldn't say mistakes as they were great pedals to get me back on the horse but now that I'm back on the saddle I need something more efficiant and something that can keep up with my feet. I wish I could try the DW 9000's and the Iron and Speed Cobra's side by side to make a final decision but GC usually only has the single pedal version of the Speed, Iron, Demon and then a very crappy version of the doubles on the floor. Freakin idiots man! How the hell are we supposed to try things if they don't give us decent quality stuff to try or even have models to choose from including the 9000's!

Anyway, I feel it would be a waste of money to buy something cheap and then end up not liking them. Just save up and get the Iron Cobra Jr's or go for the big boy toy's and the Iron Sr's, Speeds or something else like a good Gibraltar double pedal or something. I would look around, try some first and then decide.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:13 PM

I appreciate it bro. The 3000s are originally what my heart was set on, just because we're writing material for our first full length album, and then we're planning a tour. I don't want to go on the road with cheapo equipment.

I was thinking the 502 looked really sturdy, but the reviews I see are half in half, so it is probably in my best interest to go ahead and grab the 3000s. The only reason I considered going cheaper on the pedal is because, as said before, I won't be using it a third as much as most people on here probably do, and a big chunk of my cash needs to go towards new cymbal stands and drum heads. I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled though - about a month ago, a man posted a DW 5000 double pedal for $150 bucks. It just needed beaters. I woulda' sold my soul to have been able to buy it.
I'd also love to get my feet on the DW 9000s, but I can't see ever being able to put $600 into a pedal.

I used a DW 2000 double pedal for several months and I loved it. I ended up selling it when I struck a deal with the Tama Speedcobra pedals. Then someone jacked those and left me in bad need of a pedal. I bought the used PDP double pedal (the old black and silver ones) used for like $60 at my buddy's music store, and I've kinda' been stuck with them since.

Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to some new hardware.

Last edited by SticksEasy; 07-17-2012 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Typo.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:00 AM
PDPx7Drummer

Aww man that's a **** deal with those Speed Cobras. Friggin scum....

Anyway no problem and I see where you're coming from. With what you're saying it sounds like the 3000's would be a perfect fit for you. They are absolutely indestructible, solid and do great for a drummer's basic needs. I can play constant 1/8th notes at about 220 BPM with them and are fairly quick for their weight and construction.

Here is my thread where I share a recording for the first time in my life and it's done with these 3000's.....

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...e+bass+playing

I am looking to sell these 3000's, if you want maybe we can talk in PM about it. I can take pictures of them on and off my set and post them here. The pictures won't do them justice as they look like they just come out of the box. I would get what they are truly worth used and you would get a pretty much brand new set of DW 3000's. Up to you and no pressure as buying and selling on the internet isn't something to take lightly.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:27 AM

I appreciate it. But it'll be a month or so before I'm able to afford the upgrade. I got bills that need paying, so I'm just browsing the market right now.

What area do you live in? In case for some reason I do get the cash and decide to talk at you about the pedals. If you live too far, it might not be worth the hassle and the extra charges.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:26 PM

something else to consider about the 3000s is that you can eventually upgrade the hinges to delta bearing hinges like on the 5000s. the hinges are $40 each, but you could end up with a make-shift 5000 for well under half the price if the 3000 is bought used.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:55 AM
PDPx7Drummer

PM sent Sticks.

And thanks for the FYI super but I'm just going to go with something better. The 3000's served their purpose but it's time to move on. I just wish I spent half as much for a cheaper pedal to get me going until I was ready to move up but you live and you learn.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

I like pearl 902's. I prefer them to my demon drives, go figure.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
I like pearl 902's. I prefer them to my demon drives, go figure.
Demon drives frustrate me to no end. I tried them at a local music store and my foot kept sliding off of them. I can't see how drummers play them with socks. I play with an inward pressing motion on the pedal, rather than just pushing down, so maybe it's a flaw. But I hate those pedals. I also play slide technique, and a rediculously smooth pedal makes that difficult me.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:54 AM

Did PDP stop making the 602c pedal!?

If so, that's a shame... I own this pedal and it has been great. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...c-double-pedal

I haven't used the 502 pedal but the reviews I've seen haven't be favorable... as compared to the 602 pedals, which don't look quite as nice but people seem to have nothing but good things to say about them for the price point.

I'm going to be upgrading to a Pearl Eliminator soon and I'll be selling my 602c pedals. If you're interested shoot me a PM and I'll get you some pics, etc etc.