DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 06-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Silver Member

Default My new SJC kit is here!

I ordered this kit at the end of December and six months later it is finally here. Everybody will tell you that SJC's customer service is the best, and it really is. George at SJC emailed me back at 11pm on Christmas EVE! I had almost 20 emails back and forth discussing my drums and I even talked on the phone to the guy who does the layouts for the drum finishes twice. It seemed like six months was a long time to wait, but I always say you don't go eat at a restaurant with no cars in the parking lot.

The kit has FULLY exceeded my expectations, the level of detail is simply amazing.

The finish is ghost black satin stain w/ flat ivory inlay. The hardware is weathered brass tube lugs.
12x8 6ply maple g2 coated/genera
16x14 6ply maple g2 coated/genera
22x14 8 ply maple emad/emad

I was extremely impressed with the inlays, I thought it was going to be just a wrap over the wood, but they actually cut into the veneer and inlaid the flat ivory. It looks incredible and the finishing is flawless. There is no excess glue anywhere.
This is a picture of the kick drum, you can see the inlay as well as the tube lugs. They use a riser under the tube lug to make the tuning screw level with the hoops. I also have the batter side hoop stained and the resonant side hoop wrapped in flat ivory. Again this is flawless and they actually radiused the flat ivory wrap and it looks and feels very smooth.

Here is a closeup of the tom and the weathered brass hardware. They used MINI tube lugs on the tom, and regular tube lugs on the floor and kick. I really like how they did that because it give proportion to the kit and it looks very balanced. I like how they also have the metal and nylon washers on every lug. They really don't miss one detail.

as far as the sound it is incredible. I have really nice kits (70's gretsch, 3ply ludwigs etc.) and this kit sounds as good if not better. The main thing I get from the kit is that it is LOUD. It projects really well, even in the smaller sizes I got. The toms are 6ply maple and they bark. They have a great range of dynamics too but the resonance jumps out even at quiet playing. The floor tom is 16x14 is perfect. I have only ever really played 16x16 or 18x16 floor toms and this size is great. It still has the low pitch of a 16 but it brings more resonance in so it sounds like a tom not a kick drum. I think the projection and volume from the toms has to do with the bearing edges. They are cut perfectly they used a 45/45 double cut edge, and the edges are sealed. I tried to get a picture but the light wasn't good enough.

The kick drum is 8 ply maple 22x14, this used to be the most common size of kick drum but it's hard to find an off the shelf quality kit in this size. My other kits all have 24x14" kicks and I was afraid I was going to loose some of the deep pitch and thunder of a 24, but this 22 from sjc makes up for it. The other great thing is I moved my beater length down to get closer to center of the drum and I can play much faster with a shorter stroke. I was having trouble before getting defined doubles on the 24, but this 22 JUMP out and my doubles sound very distinct and clear.

anyways we had practice tonight and I tried it out and sounded great, everybody in the band is excited. My bass player wants to get a bass to match my drums. I have two gigs this weekend so we will see how it goes in a live setting. I felt really sad loading this up in the van because I know they are going to go through hell this weekend. Saturday I'm playing outside in austin and it will be 110 degrees, but thats what drums are for right?
Old 06-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: My new SJC kit is here!

That's awesome!
I really like the guys at SJC, they care about the customers. Though, it'd be nicer if they start making the shells by themselves. Beautiful kit and great sizes. I'm happy for you!
Old 06-29-2012, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameo View Post
That's awesome!
I really like the guys at SJC, they care about the customers. Though, it'd be nicer if they start making the shells by themselves. Beautiful kit and great sizes. I'm happy for you!
Thanks man! They offer a ton of options on shells, outside of stuff like DW where they change the layer of the plies I don't see much missing from their list of options.

We offer many different shells, including (but limited to):
Maple and Birch in any ply configuration of 5, 6, 8, 10
Mahogany w/ Maple re-rings
Acrylic in many different patterns and colors
Carbon fiber
Wood w/ Carbon fiber or metal inner ply
Hybrid (Wood/Acrylic/Wood, etc.)
Exotic, Stave, Steam bent and Segment shells in many different types like Bubinga, Cocobolo, Zebrawood, Wenge, etc.
Contour cut shells
Metal, cooper, steel, brass, aluminum, titanium, hammered
Free floating shells
Split shells
Chamber shells
Old 06-29-2012, 08:58 PM

Beautiful drums! And the combined black satin/ivory with gold-ish hardware is really classy. Would you mind putting up more pictures of the kit set up, and perhaps sound clips of the beast?
Congrats, I'm sure you're really happy with it!
Old 06-29-2012, 09:21 PM
PDPx7Drummer

That last shot of the hardware on the tom looks a little rough. Are those your finger prints? Are those finger prints that are baked into the finish? The finish looks a little rough on it as well. Just wondering if it's a shadow or maybe you touched it there and left an imprint?

Cool drums none the less!
Old 06-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDPx7Drummer View Post
That last shot of the hardware on the tom looks a little rough. Are those your finger prints? Are those finger prints that are baked into the finish? The finish looks a little rough on it as well. Just wondering if it's a shadow or maybe you touched it there and left an imprint?

Cool drums none the less!
Thats my finger print. the finish is weathered brass so it supposed to look rough I guess. I'm not what they used it's not a paint, it looks like brass hardware that has been "weathered" with an etchant.

this is how they describe it:
"WEATHERED HARDWARE
We can "weather" your hardware, which gives it a very rustic, vintage, and "weathered" look. We offer this process on ANY hardware color.."

It is what I wanted for my kit. My other kit is silver sparkle and chrome and very flashy and I really wanted something different and "classy" in a different way so I went with a satin finish and weathered hardware.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy95 View Post
Beautiful drums! And the combined black satin/ivory with gold-ish hardware is really classy. Would you mind putting up more pictures of the kit set up, and perhaps sound clips of the beast?
Congrats, I'm sure you're really happy with it!
Thanks, I will try to take more pictures tonight or even saturday I have an outdoor gig so I should be able to get better pictures outside. I took a picture of the kit set up at the practice space but the lighting is really dim in there and it was a cell phone picture.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

I really like the aesthetic of your new kit. I like the sizes too, especially the slightly shorter than usual floor tom. Very classy looking set all round I say :)

BTW, still with the same band? Love your band, & would like to hear more clips :)
Old 06-30-2012, 02:41 AM
PDPx7Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbike View Post
Thats my finger print. the finish is weathered brass so it supposed to look rough I guess. I'm not what they used it's not a paint, it looks like brass hardware that has been "weathered" with an etchant.

this is how they describe it:
"WEATHERED HARDWARE
We can "weather" your hardware, which gives it a very rustic, vintage, and "weathered" look. We offer this process on ANY hardware color.."

It is what I wanted for my kit. My other kit is silver sparkle and chrome and very flashy and I really wanted something different and "classy" in a different way so I went with a satin finish and weathered hardware.
I see, that's good that it was intended to be like that and does look good. Good to be different instead of staying with the main stream all the time. That's why I chose to go with a PDP drum set. It wasn't a name that I had ever heard of, it looked really nice and of good quality and from what I was told the shells are really nice and built well. Glad I took the chance as it turned out to be a really great intermediate kit to learn on and knock the rust off of my "skillz" with lol. :)

Again nice set, hope it serves you well!
Old 06-30-2012, 07:53 AM
Gold Member

Absolutely stunning kit!

Congrats!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:14 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbike View Post
Thanks man! They offer a ton of options on shells, outside of stuff like DW where they change the layer of the plies I don't see much missing from their list of options.
Oh, that's cool, didn't know that. Thought they only offered the usual Keller shells, and then some acrylic (and exotic veneers, of course).

Carbon would be killer.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:27 PM
"Uncle Larry"

What does SJC stand for? I have nothing.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:51 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
What does SJC stand for? I have nothing.
Scott j. Ciprari who started the company with his brother Mike.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:52 PM
Silver Member

here is a picture from the gig last night. Everybody loved the look and the sound.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Silver Member

Drivers seat view
14x5 chrome over brass snare reverse power center/300 hazy
12x8 rack g2/genera
16x14 floor g2/genera
24x14 kick emad/emad

14" A quickbeats
11" k hybrid
17" a custom
18" a custom
21" A sweet ride

Here you can see my hardware set up DW stands with the dog bone flying the crash over the ride. On the right I have a double Tom mount on the boom with the splash, Tom, and 17" crash.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:01 PM
Silver Member

I posted some live videos
http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93272

I also got a new snare from SJC a 14x6.5" steel shell with a hammered center. 2.3 rolled hoops, same weathered brass hardware. It sounds really nice and focused, its a good backbeat snare that blends in with the music.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Silver Member

Beautiful kit!