DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 05-24-2010, 01:46 AM

Default Re: Lars Ulrich

It`s sad to see how little historical perspective people have. Lars paved the way for generations of drummers. Lars has never claimed to be the best and if i remember correct he has shyed away from clinics cus he`s not confident enough in he`s abilities and feels that it would be stroking he`s own ego too much.
And as for the whole napster thing, many of the forum members again seem to be ignorant of history. The whole thing blew up into a greed issue, when the fact of the matter was that it was a question about artists owning the rights to their own music.
The napster issue just proved that long after metallica was deemed viable. They were still leading the pack.
It is amazing that artists (as i recon many of the forum members are) don`t see the importance of artists owning the rights to their own music.
If you are going to pursue music profesionally; how are you going to support yourself and your family if you can`t make money of your music?
As for Lars abilities the later part of 2000 it seems that age and family life has taking it`s toll on the man. He is a mere shadow of himself with regards to technique and he has been quite stagnant in he`s playing, but so has the rest of metallica.
I still get a kick when i listen to metallica, Lars has (had...) a unique style, almost symphonic in the way he`s drumming followed James guitar and vocals.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotg View Post
It`s sad to see how little historical perspective people have. Lars paved the way for generations of drummers.
Indeed. I remember back in the mid 80's when I first discovered Metallica.....long before the Jordisons, Careys, Adlers or (insert any high profile "name") drummers who are currently at the top of their game, were even heard of. Lars and Lombardo were reverred. At least in my circles.

These guys were once considered pioneers. Of course the "new breeds" come along and raise the bar......they always have and they always will. But it'd be a shame to see the names of Carey, Adler and the like, diminished in 20 years time and have to suffer the same fate as poor old Lars. Historically, he was highly influential. A leader and forerunner of modern metal drumming. He was looked up to, aspired to and copied. Credit where it's due. He may not mean much anymore, but there was a time when he was everything to metal-heads.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:08 AM

Lars plays in my favorite band so i have a lot of respect for him for that alone.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:25 AM

I reckon Load and Reload are really underrated as far as albums go and Lars' drum work in general. I'd go on on a limb and say S&M is his finest drum work bar none in terms of the stuff they put out after the 5 first albums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmjNM85hbnA

he's not a wizard technically but I love the stuff he throws in here, his style is unique if anything. I remember sombody bringing up the link between him and Moon in the fact that they like to improv / play from the heart - the drums on this album are awesome.

Justice is my favourite album of theirs though, the drums on that are incredible.

Relatively simple but effective - bit of a shame about his recent efforts live, it's hard to live up to the past though, and I can't see him wanting to do that so much any more now.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:52 AM
Crazy8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Indeed. I remember back in the mid 80's when I first discovered Metallica.....long before the Jordisons, Careys, Adlers or (insert any high profile "name") drummers who are currently at the top of their game, were even heard of. Lars and Lombardo were reverred. At least in my circles.

These guys were once considered pioneers. Of course the "new breeds" come along and raise the bar......they always have and they always will. But it'd be a shame to see the names of Carey, Adler and the like, diminished in 20 years time and have to suffer the same fate as poor old Lars. Historically, he was highly influential. A leader and forerunner of modern metal drumming. He was looked up to, aspired to and copied. Credit where it's due. He may not mean much anymore, but there was a time when he was everything to metal-heads.
+1 to this. Lars is still every bit as influential as he ever was because every metal band that has come around since owes Metallica a heavy head-bangin' nod in recognition.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:01 PM

When I started to play the drums, I admired Lars' drumming because it was simple, but it worked.

Then I found it insipid. Too simple. Not very creative.

After some time I discovered that Lars knows to control himself. He somehow knows when to play a solo, and when he shouldn't. He knows when to use double bass on a song, and when he shouldn't. He has a "touch" for drumming.

If this guy had studied a little bit more (rudiments, independence, other genres, etc.) he could have become a better drummer. But it seems he didn't care and never practiced that much.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:40 AM
Rebel

Lars is a professional drummer with or without studying, he plays for the song and has influence every metal drummer in one or another way. It's something to admire!
Old 12-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Silver Member

I certainly think there have been instances live where Lars playing has been a little so-so, I am thinking about Enter Sandman played at the Live Earth concert, he seemed all over the place timekeeping-wise (I freely acknowledge this could have been to bad monitors etc), however last weekend I heard "Search and Destroy" from an EP they have just released called "Live at Grimeys"

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashvi...grimeys-nov-26

To my shame, the drumming was so amazing, I thought maybe it was not Lars drumming, but as you can see from the link above, it was, if you hear "Search and Destroy" from this set, I hope you think like me, that he's got some of his mojo back!
Old 12-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Gold Member

I really dont know where he was talent wise and where he is today and to me it really doesnt matter... all I know is I'm 48 and play in a hard rock band that plays 2 metallica songs "for whom the bell tolls" and "sad but true" and the drumming is very signature and permits very little ablibing...to sound right you pretty well have to play whay he recorded and its far from simple drumming...very few songs on our set list required me to spend more time learning then these 2.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:40 AM

I used to love Lars when I was big into Metallica, and then I followed a path similar to that which some other metalheads have taken: I got burnt out on Metallica and shelved them indefinitely because I discovered a bunch of other bands that have that "it factor" that Metallica seems to have lost...

However, my respect for Lars has come back because of a few recent epiphanies.

I used to be one of those people who would make ad hominem attacks on drummers because of their personalities or because they got caught in the "endorsement whore" trap. Now, I'm more prone to look at drummers based solely on their drumming. Lars may be a complete hack as a person (even then, some posts on here counter that statement pretty well), but I can look past the whole Napster screw-up and see him for how he is behind the kit. And his style seems to be one that fits Metallica and Metallica only. It seems to be a simpler style, compared to other metal drummers, but it fits perfectly with what the rest of the band plays. That, and after taking a look at a transcription for Master of Puppets, my assumption that the entire song was in 4/4 (because Lars' songs from RTL and MOP sounded so simple from a musical standpoint) was completely blown out of the water. For those of you who haven't seen this particular one (a "beat sheet" from onlinedrummer.com), it's quite a stunning discovery to see that Lars made something so complex on paper sound so incredibly simple! That's an incredible ability to have, in my opinion.

Here's the transcription: http://onlinedrummer.com/beat_sheets.php?Id=128

Once you get past all that, it'd be nice if you heard the dry "ping" of a ride once in awhile from Lars...the fact that he Would. Not. Lay. Off. The. Freaking. Hi-hats. always got to me for some reason...
Old 06-05-2011, 08:21 AM

Great transcription.

When it comes to drum notation, sometimes I'm a little a thrown by the variations. Generally, I write hi-hat below the last line of the staff, below the kick, and I put the ride as the first x above the top line of the staff, with each ledger line above that for the crashes, with a circle around the x signifying the bell. Toms, snare and kick all seem pretty standard.

Is there a drum notation bible out there anywhere? If someone's got a link, I'd love to see it.

Thanks.

Oh, and about Lars. I owe him a debt of gratitude for inspiration to simplify my fills. While listening to his playing, I heard that he doesn't always keep both his feet going, not always requiring constant kick beneath it all. I use the hat to keep time through a fill, but unless the fill actually incorporates a kick hit, I tend to leave it alone while my hands get busy.

Being a "technical" drummer is all well and good, but I really like the guys who keep time with a modicum of style and put their own stamp on things without being excessive or flashy. I think the Lars of my childhood was those things.

To that effect, I find Mike Portnoy's Dream Theater drumming kind of irritating. I'm glad he's done with that; the Amazing Journey stuff is pretty fun.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:19 AM

when i was really into metallica lars ulrich was like a drumming god to me i learnt so mch from listening and playing along to metallica songs but now that i have ray luzier, joey jordison and all the great players out there ive become to like his drumming allot less but full respect to him for influencing so many people to drum to thrash metal like me
Old 07-22-2012, 03:03 AM

Default Lars Ulrich and my valuable lesson in life

Since picking up the sticks a few years back I've been reading anything I can get my hands on about drummers and drumming, especially rock drummers coz that's where my heart is. I had noticed quite a lot of negative opinions on Lars Ulrich so when I saw the S&M Concert DVD for sale in a second hand shop for $4 I thought what the hell have I got to loose, I'll check him out myself. Listened to it for the first time yesterday and holy shit man, what an awesome dynamic drummer, I was blown away, I'm into rock not metal but this concert with the orchestra is epic and Lars Ulrich is a rock druming powerhouse, I was really impressed. Sure he may not have the trickiest chops or play the most complex patterns but wow man his energy and musicality for what he's playing is second to none, very impressive. I still aint a huge fan of metal but this Metallica dvd really is a musical master piece and brilliantly produced, these guys are effin good! It reminded me of just how important it is to reach our own thoughts and conclusions especially with such a subjective topic as music, I will never again judge another drummer purely by their image or the opinions of others.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:08 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Lars Ulrich and my valuable lesson in life

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelfrazer View Post
I will never again judge another drummer purely by their image or the opinions of others.
Pretty good wisdom, there. And it can be applied in a lot of circumstances besides just "drummers".
Old 07-22-2012, 03:17 AM

I thought this thread was going to be about someone learning their lesson after getting busted for using Napster!
Old 07-22-2012, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheMonkey View Post
I thought this thread was going to be about someone learning their lesson after getting busted for using Napster!

hahaha. classic!! hadn't even considered that, might give it a try :-o
Old 07-22-2012, 10:48 PM

I tend to make fun of his simplistic (boring) beats, but y'know, he gets the job do and that's what matters. Same with Ringo.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Pretty good wisdom, there. And it can be applied in a lot of circumstances besides just "drummers".
so very true Harry, so very true!
Old 07-25-2012, 05:06 PM

I've never come across a drummer with such lack on control over his hi-hat. All part of his sound I suppose.

Twitter.com/GregDCDrums
Old 07-26-2012, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMonster View Post
I've never come across a drummer with such lack on control over his hi-hat. All part of his sound I suppose.
You haven't seen me play!! :-))
Old 07-26-2012, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMonster View Post
And I've never met a drummer that I couldn't be bothered to argue with less.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:17 AM

Lars said himself that he thought he wasn't a good drummer. You can see he plays simple stuff, simple riffs, and most of the time it gets redundant. But yeah he's got energy. He doesn't really have the choice...
Old 08-05-2012, 12:38 AM
Platinum Member

I dunno whether it's him playing but he killed it on the black album. To me it's honestly one of the best rock drumming albums around.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:31 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelfrazer View Post
I will never again judge another drummer purely by their image or the opinions of others.
There's nothing worse than a pre-concieved idea about a person based on what we heard about him/her, seeing and hearing it ourselves is the only way to make our own judgement.

Judging a person based on gossip, hearsay and (often) exagerated stories and reputations is frequently missleading, don't judge a book by its cover.

Lars is a fine drummer, some like him, some don't, such is life, we're always the unloved of someone else.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:38 AM
Gold Member

If it weren't for other's spouting their opinions, I would never have even considered him as anything less than a very good drummer.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:39 AM

I don't know much about Metal. I've never even attempted a blast beat, and I have no knowledge of finger technique except the use of fingers for rebound. But from what I've seen, the drummers who trash Lars Ulrich are those who idolize drummers like Joey Jordison, or Chris Adler. Drummers who are all speed and flash, but no real groove or technique. Lars is a groove drummer, just like Ringo Starr, or Charlie Watts. He is a time keeper.

Fills and flash are awsome if you can use them, but no matter what, Time Keeping is the number one concern. Any band seeking a drummer will look at your time keeping skills ahead of anything else. That's probably the only reason I can stay in a band - I can't really do any complex or over the top feels, but I've been called a 'Walking Metronome' by band mates numerous times.

This is Lars - he's got the right idea. I'm not a fan of Metallica, or even a fan of Lars, but the guy knows he's there to keep the band together, everything else is optional and NEVER required.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Silver Member

S&M is a fantastic example - I'd probably point it out as Lars being at the top of his game. I'm a huge fan, and have played along to more Metallica tunes than most people have spoken words - but even I must admit his playing has declined in recent years.

At the last 2 gigs of theirs I saw he was awesome, dynamic, driving - however when I watch videos of him that the band upload through their website/youtube I can't help but grimace a little occassionally.

But that being said, he's one of the 2 guys who wrote the vast majority of those awesome songs that I, and millions more, love. So what if he's getting old and out of practice! Still love the guy!
Old 08-16-2012, 08:09 AM
Gold Member

Used to worship the guy as a teenager- then I "grew up" and realised he's definitely not the best drummer in the world.
Still love Metallica but Lars is a business-man first and foremost with the drums coming a distant second.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:11 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netz Ausg View Post
S&M is a fantastic example - I'd probably point it out as Lars being at the top of his game. I'm a huge fan, and have played along to more Metallica tunes than most people have spoken words - but even I must admit his playing has declined in recent years.

At the last 2 gigs of theirs I saw he was awesome, dynamic, driving - however when I watch videos of him that the band upload through their website/youtube I can't help but grimace a little occassionally.

But that being said, he's one of the 2 guys who wrote the vast majority of those awesome songs that I, and millions more, love. So what if he's getting old and out of practice! Still love the guy!
I'd have to agree:
St Anger tour- absolute shocker
Death Magnetic tour- much improved but still with the obligatory mistakes here and there
Old 08-16-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SticksEasy View Post
But from what I've seen, the drummers who trash Lars Ulrich are those who idolize drummers like...Chris Adler. Drummers who are all speed and flash, but no real groove or technique.
If there is any metal that grooved, it's Lamb of God.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:59 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotg View Post
It`s sad to see how little historical perspective people have. Lars paved the way for generations of drummers. Lars has never claimed to be the best and if i remember correct he has shyed away from clinics cus he`s not confident enough in he`s abilities and feels that it would be stroking he`s own ego too much.
And as for the whole napster thing, many of the forum members again seem to be ignorant of history. The whole thing blew up into a greed issue, when the fact of the matter was that it was a question about artists owning the rights to their own music.
The napster issue just proved that long after metallica was deemed viable. They were still leading the pack.
It is amazing that artists (as i recon many of the forum members are) don`t see the importance of artists owning the rights to their own music.
If you are going to pursue music profesionally; how are you going to support yourself and your family if you can`t make money of your music?
As for Lars abilities the later part of 2000 it seems that age and family life has taking it`s toll on the man. He is a mere shadow of himself with regards to technique and he has been quite stagnant in he`s playing, but so has the rest of metallica.
I still get a kick when i listen to metallica, Lars has (had...) a unique style, almost symphonic in the way he`s drumming followed James guitar and vocals.
Regarding what you said about the artists and their rights, no one would disagree with you. I just remember Lars being a dick and extremely unlikable. He definitely didn't connect with the younger generation. At that point it didn't matter what his message was.

Now that I'm older and more mature, he just seems like an interesting guy. I definitely have no negativity towards him these days.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickropolis View Post
If there is any metal that grooved, it's Lamb of God.
I second that!

---------------
Old 08-24-2012, 05:03 PM
Silver Member

I will not discredit Lars's influence on other drummers and the many great Metallica songs, but I will say this: in resent years his live drumming does not groove and it not tight.
The other musicians in Metallica is many steps above him.
He is not that old and have no excuses.

And I'm also Danish -)
Old 08-24-2012, 09:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheLovesMyDrums View Post
Lars said himself that he thought he wasn't a good drummer. You can see he plays simple stuff, simple riffs, and most of the time it gets redundant. But yeah he's got energy. He doesn't really have the choice...
He should have stuck to tennis ;-)

I give the guy credit for the road he paved for other drummers in his genre, as others have said. He played some great albums all of which I love too. He's a bit past his prime but at least he knows it..
Old 08-24-2012, 11:51 PM

One joke I use when I hear a loud pounding of any sort is either, "Still a better drummer than Lars Ulrich", or "Who let Lars in here?". That said, he does the job, I enjoy Enter Sandman and Battery. I've never liked Metallica a whole lot, but I realize that without them Disturbed and many other newer bands I do like would have never come to be.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:41 PM

I personally think he is a very good drummer.He is the founder and drummer for one of the biggest bands ever.Despite his advancing years,he is okay after 30 years of Drumming.When he was younger,he had speed,feel and he wrote some legendary drum scores.He is one of my all time heroes.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:39 PM
Renegade

Apologies if this has been posted before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qTxZzvjPjI

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Old 09-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetadraw View Post
One joke I use when I hear a loud pounding of any sort is either, "Still a better drummer than Lars Ulrich", or "Who let Lars in here?". That said, he does the job, I enjoy Enter Sandman and Battery. I've never liked Metallica a whole lot, but I realize that without them Disturbed and many other newer bands I do like would have never come to be.
We have a similar saying of "Lars-ing it up" whenever you give a less than stellar performance!
Old 11-18-2014, 01:10 PM

Why Lars stopped playing double bass since the Black Album?
Old 11-18-2014, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiagodon View Post
Why Lars stopped playing double bass since the Black Album?
He was too busy being a rich, smug bastard who makes roadies put on his socks, I assume.