DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 09-05-2010, 09:08 PM

Default Yamaha Rock Tour

Back in June I ordered one of the new Rock Tour sets. Being that I'm taking my set out to gigs every week or two, these were perfect.

I wanted a finish that wasn't readily available in the US, and I was told it could be as long as December before I ever saw the thing. I've been using my Stage Custom, and I figured that would continue to tide me over until then, so I went ahead and waited for the finish I wanted. I ordered the 3-piece shell pack (22" 16" 12") plus a 14" matching wood snare, plus an added 14" floor and 10" tom.

Christmas came early! The 10" tom is the only thing I'm still waiting on, and I should get that by November.

LOVE THEM. The drums are smaller than my Stage Customs, yet they actually sound fuller and have more of a low end.

These shots were taken by the store after I put the drums together and set everything up. Zildjian A Customs all around, except for the 18" Oriental China. The store actually had one of the matte black Rock Tours in stock, and the guys there couldn't believe that the textured ash finish actually cost less than the matte. The matte is certainly unique, but the textured ash looks sharp.

Really sharp.

Last edited by LeftoverPenguin; 02-27-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Yamaha Rock Tour

Those look pretty nice. What do they call that finish? And did you say it's not available in the States or just according to Yamaha, nobody orders it in the States?
Old 09-05-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Those look pretty nice. What do they call that finish? And did you say it's not available in the States or just according to Yamaha, nobody orders it in the States?
The finish is called "Textured Green Sunburst."

These new Rock Tours are made in eleven finishes: three matte finishes (Metallic Black, Smoke, and Blue) and eight textured ash finishes (Green, Red, Brown, Smoke, plus sunburst variants of each).

Of these finishes, only five are available in America: Metallic Black Matte, Metallic Smoke Matte, Textured Green, Textured Red Sunburst, and Textured Smoke Sunburst. Those are the five finishes Yamaha picked to have here.

However, both the Green and Brown bursts are available "at select retailers," which means the store/company has to order a minimum of, I don't know, like fifty kits. So they aren't readily available. I was incredibly lucky in that the guy I was dealing with talks with the guys at Yamaha on a daily basis and knows them pretty well, so I got to special order mine. Yamaha's site says that other four colors aren't available in the US; not sure if you could even special order them like I did for mine.

They had this finish, as well as the matte black, at the NAMM show, and I simply fell in love with it. I'm glad I waited, but if I absolutely had to pick another finish I'd have gone with the Smoke sunburst. But I'm glad it didn't come to that. ;)
Old 09-05-2010, 11:31 PM
Platinum Member

Nice. I've been looking for a green Yamaha to replace my own aging SCs one day, and apparently the RC is currently the only line to have green as a standard, non-special-order color...? in any case, you're pretty happy with the sound?
Old 09-05-2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
Nice. I've been looking for a green Yamaha to replace my own aging SCs one day, and apparently the RC is currently the only line to have green as a standard, non-special-order color...? in any case, you're pretty happy with the sound?
I love the sound of these drums so much more than my Stage Customs. The Stage Customs aren't bad by any means, but I love the deep sound of the mahogany that the Rock Tour offers over the brightness of the birch in the Stage Customs.

I'm about to leave for a meeting at work, but I'll see if I can't put up a little video sometime tonight or tomorrow. Obviously won't do them as much justice as in person, but it'll give you a nice idea of the type of sound they offer.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:59 PM
Gold Member

Congrats on the new kit!....that's an awesome finish!
Old 09-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Gold Member

those are some sweet looking Yammies, green is good!
Old 09-07-2010, 12:15 AM

Thanks guys!

Here's the video as promised.

Edit: video no longer exists

Last edited by LeftoverPenguin; 11-05-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:15 AM
Platinum Member

Those sound great LoP !!
Old 09-12-2010, 05:45 AM

I had my first gig with this set last night, and on top of the drums sounding AWESOME it went really well! It was a small bar, so the drums aren't amplified (they don't need to be), and this kit rocked. Some of the people who've been coming to our shows for a while now said they could really hear the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artstar View Post
Those sound great LoP !!
I know, right?! The snare sounds even better now that I've tightened it up quite a bit; it now has a nice warm crack to it. I really wish I had taped our show last night. There was so much going on last night that I forgot to delegate that responsibility to somebody. First show we didn't tape, and it really went well. I even had a drum solo at the end that went really well. Apparently I "killed it" and I "win." :) permanent
Old 09-12-2010, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member

Those do sound good! I'd like to have heard those in person. It's probably much better than on video.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member

LoP, when these were first introduced, I SERIOUSLY doubted them, but after checking them out I see how nice they actually are.

Mostly with the quality of the shell. THAT is one nicely built shell with super quality Mahogany. NOT the cheaper Luan stuff.

Your shells also have VERTICAL GRAIN. I thought that was pretty cool as it is mostly associated with Sonor.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
LoP, when these were first introduced, I SERIOUSLY doubted them, but after checking them out I see how nice they actually are.
I know lots of people were skeptical about these sets. I have a feeling it had (has?) a lot to do with the fact that they took over the Rock Tour name, yet they're priced very aggressively.

I remember back in May or June I scoured the internet for some first-hand testimonials on these new Rock Tours, but unfortunately all I could find were threads full of skeptical people. There were some who were hopeful, but it didn't appear anyone had taken the plunge on one. Lucky for me, I was in the market for a new set.

The new Rock Tours sounded promising from Yamaha's web site and the videos there, but of course Yamaha's site is going to present them as the best things ever, so I found a few YouTube clips from NAMM showing off the drums and from then on was pretty much sold. Went to my local store and played around a little bit with a matte black set they had in stock and went ahead and ordered mine shortly thereafter.

Quote:
Mostly with the quality of the shell. THAT is one nicely built shell with super quality Mahogany. NOT the cheaper Luan stuff.

Your shells also have VERTICAL GRAIN. I thought that was pretty cool as it is mostly associated with Sonor.
The shells are so nice, and this finish is so great; Yamaha actually uses the same painting technique on this textured ash finish as they do on the PHX series to bring out the wood grain.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
I know lots of people were skeptical about these sets. I have a feeling it had (has?) a lot to do with the fact that they took over the Rock Tour name
Were the original rock tour customs thought highly off then? and because they changed the wood on the 2010 rock tours you were worried they wouldnt be as good? Or were the original tour customs not very good?

I only ask as i own Maple rock tour custom :)
Old 09-15-2010, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hentex View Post
Were the original rock tour customs thought highly off then? and because they changed the wood on the 2010 rock tours you were worried they wouldnt be as good? Or were the original tour customs not very good?

I only ask as i own Maple rock tour custom :)
Do you have a thread with pictures of your set-up? I'd be interested to see 'em!

I personally went into researching the new Rock Tours with neither skepticism nor optimism. I wasn't particularly worried about anything. I just remembered reading early threads before the drums were released where people claimed these new Rock Tour kits probably wouldn't be as good since they were more budget-friendly.

Admittedly I don't have any experience with the earlier Rock Tour Customs, so I'm not sure if the Custom is streets ahead. Alls I know is that looking at these drums themselves, the new Rock Tour is a mighty fine kit.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:30 PM

ah har, i like my kit, the 12" tom losses its tuning like every few days which is anoying, but the floor tom and bass drum are really sweet, and the snare is pretty nice sound when i changed the head and tuned it. It's compact and packs a punch, nice for mobility. Here some pics, sorry about the light, the studio is pretty dark

Old 09-16-2010, 10:47 PM

I can tell you that the old Rock Tour Customs are/were high quality drums and are still highly sought after.

I picked up a kit this summer and absolutely love them. They were pro level kits. Matt Sorum of Guns N Roses played them as did Tommy Aldridge and others.

They were made of Birch with 1 ply of Philippine Mahogany. They have a resin coating on the outside of the shell and because of that they were only made in solid colors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_Rock_Tour_Custom

I played the new Ash finished Green Burst kit recently at GC. It was nice and looked to be well made as are all Yamaha kits. When I saw the pictures of the Green sunburst finish from NAMM I couldn't wait to see it in person, as it looked pretty cool and unique.

I'm not a fan of pinstripe heads in general, so having them as stock heads made me wonder if they were trying to hide some displeasing overtones, but they sounded like what a drum with pinstripes is expected to sound. But honestly, with a head change I'm sure I would have liked them a lot more. They sounded fine as-is, but I think there is a lot more sound to be had from those shells than what the pinstripes can deliver. They do not sound like the original RTC's, though.

Last edited by ConvertedLudwigPlayer; 09-17-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvertedLudwigPlayer View Post
I can tell you that the old Rock Tour Customs are/were high quality drums and are still highly sought after.
They were basically a Recording Custom with a hybrid birch shell. If they were identically produced today, they would probably be priced around the Oak Custom level.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
They were basically a Recording Custom with a hybrid birch shell. If they were identically produced today, they would probably be priced around the Oak Custom level.
That makes sense.

A lot of people have compared the sound of the RTC's to the Recording Custom, but I have never had a chance to play an RC, unfortunately.

I believe the RTC shells are slightly thicker then the RC's from what I recall.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:03 AM

Ugh. Apparently not only has Yamaha stopped making the Hex Racks, but they've stopped making the drop clutches as well. These are products I want to buy!

Any recommendations on a decent drop clutch?
Old 11-01-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hentex View Post
ah har, i like my kit, the 12" tom losses its tuning like every few days which is anoying, but the floor tom and bass drum are really sweet, and the snare is pretty nice sound when i changed the head and tuned it. It's compact and packs a punch, nice for mobility.
Hentex... I have a 12" tom for my Stage Custom. I have the same de-tuning thing.

I tune batter around 55 on the tama drum dial and reso around 70. I've found reso stays fine but the batter will drop.

I've been applying these lug locks to the batter rods.... fix the issue.
http://remo.com/upload/2007/02/12/43783153.jpg

Drummaker sells them here....
http://www.drummaker.com/share?5131

-Forflex
Old 11-01-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftoverPenguin View Post
Any recommendations on a decent drop clutch?
The DW 505 Drop Clutch is good.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:32 AM

Oops, I never posted any pics after I got the 10" tom. Or even after I got the kit home, for that matter!

I could have taken better/more pictures if my basement ceiling was taller and there wasn't a couch right in front of my kit. Also, sorry for the mess. Next gig I take 'em out, I'll have to remember to take some more pics!

New heads, too! It was a big toss up between Ambassadors and Emperors, and whether to go coated or not. Also would like to switch out the Diplomats on the resonant side at some point for Ambassadors.

Still playing around with heads, but I do like the feel/sound of the Emperors better than the Pinstripes that these new Rock Tours come with. The Pinstripes had to be tuned pretty low to get the sound I wanted, and then the head was too loose for my liking. These are a step up, in my opinion.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:02 PM

Nice set up. Great looking drums.

I never could figure out why Yamaha put pinstripes on those drums other than the fact they were using the Rock Tour name and trying to invoke a comparision to the old series.

I am not a fan on pinstripes and figured the drums would really open up a lot with other heads.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Silver Member

Personally I think the best combo with pinstripes is the (old) Recording Custom series.

I have a coated ambasador on the 10'' and pinstripes on the rest of the toms and I like them both.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:51 AM
Silver Member

Would anyone happen to know if the bearing edges on the rock tours are 60 deg like the tour customs?

Thanks
Old 02-25-2012, 05:28 PM

Posted this photo from our last gig in another thread. Lots of little changes to my kit since I last posted here. Picked up a 14x7 LOUD snare (!!!), added a BUNCH of new A Customs, and lately I've been running with two toms directly over the bass drum. I'll try to get more pictures up soon!

Love that snare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN View Post
Would anyone happen to know if the bearing edges on the rock tours are 60 deg like the tour customs?

Thanks
I don't know offhand, but I'll look into it for you. Even if I need to take the heads off and measure mine, I'll find out!

Last edited by LeftoverPenguin; 02-28-2012 at 04:37 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:52 PM

It looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2012, 08:01 PM

This kit looks fantastic!
Old 03-03-2012, 09:43 PM

Thanks guys! My basement is a mess right now from my brother currently sleeping down there, but I'll be sure to take some more glamor shots the next time I take 'em out on the town.

Actually, when I came back to this thread to post that last picture I was inspired to set my kit up like I had in the previous shots and I think I like it better that way.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:11 PM

From our gig last weekend:

Old 06-01-2012, 05:46 PM

Guess I'll post this here, too! Still need more parts so I can add my splash and one more crash. And I think the rack will finally get me to add another splash in the future.

I'm toying with the idea of getting another leg for my left side and eliminating the bar across the front and doing a stealth rack sorta set up. Problem is I'm not sure if I'll have room for that at all my gigs. I'll have to take this out for a few and see how it goes!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:08 PM

Nice! I just picked up a rock tour custom. Birch and mahogany line from the 90s.

Allegra Drum Crafters
Revival Drum Shop
Yamaha Recording Custom
Allegra Master Craft
Old 06-04-2012, 12:14 AM
Platinum Member

That is one nice kit! Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / ProMark
Old 06-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Gold Member

Those kits are so great!
I have the Red Textured Burst in 10, 12, 16, 22 and 14 snare and I love it so much!
Old 06-07-2012, 12:06 AM

I like the black one ^_^
Old 07-17-2012, 08:05 PM

From my gig this past weekend.