DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 06-19-2010, 01:04 AM

Default 2 bass drum's VS double kick pedal's

when i was young,i had a single bass drum with a crappy db pedal(which i destroyed on a regular basis.HAHAHA!!)after a coupla years,i lost my buzz for playin',but,5yrs ago i started again.bought a cheap kit($500)kitted it out with good head's,cymbal's,etc,then had the opportunity to buy another kit even cheaper.So i been playin' db with 2 kit's,but know im feelin the need to go back to a single bass with a double pedal.transportation wasnt an issue(even tho i had to jam 2 full sized kits into a very small hatchback)but i feel i played better with a single drum with a db pedal.
Any thoughts or opinion's?
Old 06-19-2010, 02:48 AM

Default Re: 2 bass drum's VS double kick pedal's

2 BD's
Pros: Looks cool, sounds better, can be tuned differently from each other if needed.
Cons: Extra gear to lug around, takes up more stage space, un-necessary if you don't play metal.

Double Pedal
Pros: Less gear, more convenient setup
Cons: Slave pedal lag, 2 pedals on 1 drum sound muddy at higher speeds.

I have a double bass kit but I rarely use both BD at the same time, and instead use the double pedal. I would like to use both drums but currently that is not happening. I split my 9 piece kit into a 4 & 5 piece so I can have 1 at home & 1 at practice.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:09 AM

i agree that 2 bd's looks cooler(im old skool & u dont really see many bands gettin round with 2 bd's)& i play hard rock & use a lot of quick double's & triplet's.i'd love to have the ability to leave 1 kit setup at home to practice,but as it is, the neighbours forced my band outta the garage & into the studio.I guess i only used the other kick for looks as i only use 2 mounted tom's(1 per kick)so it looks like i'll be gettin the double pedal!!
Old 06-19-2010, 07:55 PM

Yep 2 bass drums do look cool! You’ll likely never get them tuned exactly the same and you’ll often get to a venue and they won’t have 2 of the same bass drum mics so they might not sound the same anyway.
The muddy problem with really fast bass drum passages is the low pitch regardless of 2 drums or 1.
If this is your case consider the ease of lugging one drum with a double pedal and trigger your kick. Consistent tone and variable pitch (through the sound module) to more clearly define each stroke.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:24 AM

well,were hopin' to do a show in a coupla months time & i've seen the venue & the stage.Once all 4 of us are up there,there wont be a lot of room.other drummer's i've seen play there,use a db pedal,but dont mic their kit's.dont think the rooms big enuff to need to.as it is,my kit takes up a bit of room with the boom stand's.plus we may be sharing the bill with 5 or 6 other bands,so i dont wanna bit muckin' about gettin my stuff on & off the stage.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:31 PM

I think it depends what aspect you look at, do you play drums just for fun or professionally. If it is just for fun then 1 kick and double pedal would do fine, if not then definitely 2 bass drums with the same pedals and high end stuff. The reason being is if you have a single kick drum with double bass pedals. When you hit the drum super fast, it doesnt allow it to resonate nicely, you get a full sound and a sort of weaker sound, due to one pedal being in the center and one on the side, (or if you have it off set and the middle of the drum is in the middle of the 2 pedals, you will get a weaker sound) and when you have a bar between the pedals, you loose 12% of the power and reaction. Having 2 bass drums, gives more time for the drum to resonate, a better consistency in tone, both pedals will hit the center where your best sound comes from, and you can tune the 2 SLIGHTLY different. When you have 2 of the same sounds at the same time or very close, the frequencies can cancel each other out .
Old 11-28-2010, 11:36 PM

double pedal
because, youll have a hard time when switching foots from the pedal to the hihat pedal when using double bass drum
Old 11-28-2010, 11:37 PM
Gold Member

Basic advantages and disadvantages entail each option for being able to have that speed with your bass. For instance, There is no better thing than to eliminate the idea of a slave pedal. Playing on two major pedals is something I imagine would be very enjoyable for anyone.

However, there's a lot of obvious trouble that goes into having a dual-bass set-up. The space, namely, and especially the tuning. If you're using the double-bass for the typical application, you' want the same noise for both pedals, which is a lot of trouble to go through.

In the end, however, go with what you prefer. If you feel you play better with a double-pedal, then that should be what you choose.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:12 AM

I play with two BDs & no - you won't get them exactly the same, but easily close enough for gov't. work. One of these days I may pick up a double pedal, but I just love playing with 2 kicks..
Old 11-29-2010, 01:29 AM
Gold Member

In my hair band days in the 80's I used 2 basses... My main was a Ludwig and the 2nd a cheap model...painted it black to match my kit....love my double pedal and now messing with a dualist for half the nights gig... 2 dualist on 2 bass drums now there something I wish I had in the 80's
Old 11-29-2010, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecpietscheck View Post
double pedal
because, youll have a hard time when switching foots from the pedal to the hihat pedal when using double bass drum
I use 2 BD's and a HiHat mount with legs folded up on the HH.

The 2 pedals are 1/2 inch apart at the toe, the heals are touching, can't get any closer than that.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:53 PM

Im wondering the same thing.... But I think two bass drums is best for a studio kit cause you can expand your kit with two more toms, and tune them differently. The only problem I can see is tuning the bds to the same note.... They may wear differently.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:03 AM

for me two bass drums just feel killer to play. the feel is un rivaled but totally a personal preference. i hate slave pedals and therefore dislike double pedals. yes, your bass drums may not sound completely identical but thats what a sound guy is for; there is also triggers for that. it's all about tweaking in the end though. i urge drummers to get to know there bass drums and try different things to make them sound identical. it is possible but not if you aren't willing to put the effort in. \m/ \m/
Old 07-10-2012, 06:05 AM

also to add to my post...the hi-hat pedal doesn't have to be an issue. they make many different types of stands to accomodate dual bass drum players :D
Old 07-10-2012, 08:57 AM
Platinum Member

When I thought I'd experiment with double bass, I bought a double pedal first (a nice DW5000 one), but I didn't like how the slave pedal felt a little sluggish compared to the primary, so I went out and got a double bass drum kit and loved it! I knew I wasn't any good at it, so I knew it would never leave the house for some time, and it was fun while I had it. I had my double bass kit on one side of the practice space, and my four-piece groover on the other. I think the feel of two pedals is better than a double pedal - less to break down over time. Of course, if you're gigging with them, you have to decide if you like hauling around two bass drums, and moving the bass drum with the hi-hat attached to it is not as easy as just picking up the bass drum that has rack toms on it if you set-up in one place and then have to move it into place on stage (like on a night when a number of bands are performing at a club).

But I always feel a little ripped off as an audience member when I hear a double bass-heavy song, and then only see one bass drum!