DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-08-2012, 08:43 PM

Default New drummer please help.

I'm new to drumming. Just got a kit and the heads need replaced. Just looking for some suggestions on what to get. I'm going to be playing in a band, and we are probably going to playing different forms of metal. The head sizes are 12,13,16 with a 22 bass and 14 snare.

Also looking for advice on different hardware including a second bass drum, double-bass pedal, and cymbals.

Trying to keep it as cheap as possible, but still having good quality. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:58 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: New drummer please help.

I suggest for tomes use G2 clears, for bass drum Remo PS3 and for snare Coated G1.
This is merely a suggestion I'm sure others will dial in with other possibilities.
Experimenting would be the best advice.

For cymbals I would go pro lines ie: Zildian A custom, Sabian AA etc..Paiste signature.
If you can't afford new then go used. Sabian AA line are fantastic sounding and fairly cheap used because there are a ton of them out there.

I own a Pearl Eliminator double pedal and its great, other companies are just as good if not better.
Ie: Tama Iron cobra, Yamaha pro line etc....

*My advice to you would be to learn how to tune from the get go, find a teacher that can teach you how to play and tune your drums.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:07 AM

http://www.peabody.jhu.edu/data/46/link/3402/DTBv3.pdf

lots of essential info in there for head selection and tuning. for metal my choice of tom heads would be evans ec2 clears on top with g1s on the back, emad for the kick, and the snare sound would depend on if i wanted a bright or dark tone.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobdrumer View Post
The head sizes are 12,13,16 with a 22 bass and 14 snare
The big 3 head companies (Remo, Evans, Aquarian) sell multi-packs in those sizes. The standard Rock configuration tom packs (12/13/16) will usually come with a [coated] 14 thrown in for a snare. If you're looking to rehead batter and resonant heads this is a good way of keeping your costs down. Something like a Clear Remo Ambassador (or equivalent) can be used as either batter or resonant for all drums - including bass. Though bear in mind that snare drums work best with a special thinner resonant head specifically designed for snare drums (sometimes called a snare side head).

As you will find, there is no right or wrong to heads and tuning etc. Yet I would recommend starting with as open a sound as possible (i.e. with unmuffled single ply heads) and use that as a good reference. If you prefer a more muffled/focused sound then use external muffling (e.g. Moongel on toms or pillows in the bass drum etc) until you get the sound you want. Once you have a better idea of what you want then the world of multi-ply pre-muffled heads is your oyster.

Good luck and have fun.