DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-16-2012, 10:15 PM

Default LP Vivo Conga Drums

Hello all! I have been a drummer/percussionist for the past 15 years, and am currently studying percussion in college. I have always wanted my own set of congas to practice on so I don't always have to go to the percussion studio at school to practice conga technique. I have a bunch of other percussion instruments ranging from bongos, djembe, talking drum, doumbek, and many more. But have never owned my own set of congas. I was walking through a local drum shop and saw a set of LP Vivo congas with a graphic skull design. Usually I am not a very skull/dark image person, I'm a generally happy guy. But I just think the design on these congas has to be the coolest I have ever seen. The only thing I'm worried about is they're fiberglass, not wood. What is the tonal difference comparing wood congas, and fiberglass congas. If I'm just using them for practice and maybe a performance here or there, and I can get one heck of a deal on them. . .is it worth it?
Old 06-17-2012, 05:55 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: LP Vivo Conga Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycpmusicman91 View Post
Hello all! I have been a drummer/percussionist for the past 15 years, and am currently studying percussion in college. I have always wanted my own set of congas to practice on so I don't always have to go to the percussion studio at school to practice conga technique. I have a bunch of other percussion instruments ranging from bongos, djembe, talking drum, doumbek, and many more. But have never owned my own set of congas. I was walking through a local drum shop and saw a set of LP Vivo congas with a graphic skull design. Usually I am not a very skull/dark image person, I'm a generally happy guy. But I just think the design on these congas has to be the coolest I have ever seen. The only thing I'm worried about is they're fiberglass, not wood. What is the tonal difference comparing wood congas, and fiberglass congas. If I'm just using them for practice and maybe a performance here or there, and I can get one heck of a deal on them. . .is it worth it?
Fiberglass usually projects a bit more than wood. Vivos are a low end conga; I would probably pass. Check out the info at congaplace.com.

GJS

p.s. I currently play Drumskull congas.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:43 AM
Platinum Member

Even low-end LP is still pretty good.

Fiberglass is much brighter and louder and wood, but much lighter and easier to carry. It actually takes quite a bit of hand working to craft fiberglass; fiberglass instruments are not necessarily cheaper quality than wood. If you like the way they sound and look and you can get a good deal on them, then go for it.

Plus, LP doesn't use whole wood for its staves anyway. Ever since they exported their manufacturing out of the US and over to Asia, they use three-layer plywood.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:18 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Even low-end LP is still pretty good.

Fiberglass is much brighter and louder and wood, but much lighter and easier to carry. It actually takes quite a bit of hand working to craft fiberglass; fiberglass instruments are not necessarily cheaper quality than wood. If you like the way they sound and look and you can get a good deal on them, then go for it.

Plus, LP doesn't use whole wood for its staves anyway. Ever since they exported their manufacturing out of the US and over to Asia, they use three-layer plywood.
Well said DMC... I often lament selling my fiberglass drums when I'm walking the stairs with my wood ones. Also, the brighter and louder thing is great when you end up on stage with a band. I certainly can hear the difference. I really would refer fiberglass with a contemporary pop band.

That said, I think my first choice would be "traditional" wooden congas. They just feel right.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:56 AM

Thank guys! I decided to go with them. So far I have extremely enjoyed them. Conga drumming is one of the few area's as percussionist I really haven't delved into. So far I'm quite happy! I have noticed a lot of the comments that were made in this post. It seems to project a bit more than wood congas. Which should be good since I'll be using them for mostly outside gigs. I wasn't a fan of the stock heads they came with, but bought remo skins for them, and tuned them up, feel great now!