DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 06-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Drumolator Drumolator is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: central Louisiana
Posts: 1,935
Default Re: The Coated Ambassador 'problem'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
They have been known for spotty QC on heads for years. The inconsistency of their 2-ply heads is notorious.

Bermuda
I concur! Peace and goodwill.
__________________
Mark Wellman

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / Vater
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 07-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Swexx's Avatar
Swexx Swexx is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 472
Default Re: The Coated Ambassador 'problem'

I read through this thread the other night. I'm planning on replacing all heads on my Gretsch and I'm just asking myself:
Do I even dare to buy Remo's? Is it worth the risk?
I'm gonna go with either Evans G2 or Remo Emperor on the toms, and either G1 or Ambassador on snare. Evans cost a bit more in my local store, but maybe it is worth it if it's too risky to buy Remo?
What do you think?
__________________

Gretsch, Tama, Paiste
My drum cover of Changes by Yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NRCo2P0d60
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07-02-2012, 06:06 AM
audiotech
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Coated Ambassador 'problem'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swexx View Post
I read through this thread the other night. I'm planning on replacing all heads on my Gretsch and I'm just asking myself:
Do I even dare to buy Remo's? Is it worth the risk?
I'm gonna go with either Evans G2 or Remo Emperor on the toms, and either G1 or Ambassador on snare. Evans cost a bit more in my local store, but maybe it is worth it if it's too risky to buy Remo?
What do you think?
Recently for me, it's basically a crap shoot. I re-headed my DW Classic kit a couple of weeks ago with Remo coated Ambassadors and within a couple of days my 12" tom's batter head started to show premature signs of wear and none of my other toms exhibited this same problem. I also just re-headed my Tama Starclassic Bubinga kit and three of the thirteen heads were dead ( 8", 10" and 16" batters). I didn't change the bass drum's resonant head. These three drums sounded like they belonged to a different kit. Luckily I have have spares for spares, so just by substituting the heads made the drums come back to life. BTW, I changed both resonant and batter heads using Evans G2 clear over G1 clear. I spoke to another drummer at a Five Star shop with the same kit and his eyes lit up, he also recently had the same problem with G2 clear heads. He's going to experiment a bit more and get back to me.

I'm about ready to check out the Aquarian line since I'm running out of choices, lol.

To put things into perspective, this is the first time in about three years that I ever had a problem with Evans heads and I use a lot of them. I can't say the same for Remo.

Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 07-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Swexx's Avatar
Swexx Swexx is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 472
Default Re: The Coated Ambassador 'problem'

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
Recently for me, it's basically a crap shoot. I re-headed my DW Classic kit a couple of weeks ago with Remo coated Ambassadors and within a couple of days my 12" tom's batter head started to show premature signs of wear and none of my other toms exhibited this same problem. I also just re-headed my Tama Starclassic Bubinga kit and three of the thirteen heads were dead ( 8", 10" and 16" batters). I didn't change the bass drum's resonant head. These three drums sounded like they belonged to a different kit. Luckily I have have spares for spares, so just by substituting the heads made the drums come back to life. BTW, I changed both resonant and batter heads using Evans G2 clear over G1 clear. I spoke to another drummer at a Five Star shop with the same kit and his eyes lit up, he also recently had the same problem with G2 clear heads. He's going to experiment a bit more and get back to me.

I'm about ready to check out the Aquarian line since I'm running out of choices, lol.

To put things into perspective, this is the first time in about three years that I ever had a problem with Evans heads and I use a lot of them. I can't say the same for Remo.

Dennis
Then Evans it is. I don't wanna buy heads with a 50% risk of trouble.
Plus, I don't want to give Remo any of my money, since the company seems to screw it up totally.
__________________

Gretsch, Tama, Paiste
My drum cover of Changes by Yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NRCo2P0d60
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 07-05-2012, 02:58 PM
EvansSpecialist EvansSpecialist is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 521
Default Re: The Coated Ambassador 'problem'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swexx View Post
Then Evans it is. I don't wanna buy heads with a 50% risk of trouble.
Plus, I don't want to give Remo any of my money, since the company seems to screw it up totally.
We stand behind our products 100% and, while we can't guarantee the coating for a given amount of time because everyone plays differently and puts a different level of demand on their heads, we do believe that we have the best coated heads available. Definitely let me know if you ever experience otherwise.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 07-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Jookbox's Avatar
Jookbox Jookbox is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: California
Posts: 365
Default Re: The Coated Ambassador 'problem'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swexx View Post
Then Evans it is. I don't wanna buy heads with a 50% risk of trouble.
Plus, I don't want to give Remo any of my money, since the company seems to screw it up totally.
Not sure where you got the 50% figure.... Anyway I don't think anyone mentioned Evans has white Mylar underneath. Rub your hand on an Evans coated after a month of playing. It will be smooth, because the coating is gone. I've switched from Remo to Evans and now I'm playing Remo again. They just sound better to me. They get really ugly after a while, but I don't care about that.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com