DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 07-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Platinum Member

Default My Iron Cobra Jr. DE-MODIFICATION!

I had just posted a thread displaying my ancient 35 year-old Tama Flexi-Flyer pedal alongside my sometimes primary 2012 Tama Iron Cobra pedal (strap drive). And After fiddling with both of them I got them to feel close to the same, although the old Flexi-Flyer was still winning out over the Iron Cobra for comfortable use. Mainly, the base plate really does dictate how the pedal feels. In exchange for added stability, the pedal will feel a little stiffer.

I do like the base plate, but I couldn't really add a plate to the ol' Flexi pedal. And then I remembered that I have three Tama Iron Cobra Jr. pedals in a case in my garage! I had an epiphany and blessed Tama for using the same size parts over the years, I ended up 'de-modifying' one of the Iron Cobra Jr. pedals by replacing the sprocket and chain with the cam and strap from the Flexi. Voila! Not only does it look closer to my current Iron Cobra, it almost weighs the same too so the feels between both are even closer. Although the regular Iron Cobra seems smoother still.

So now I have a resurrected Flexi Flyer for modern times. Maybe what I should do is find another cam drive pedal and de-modify my other Iron Cobra Jr.'s....hmm...
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: My Iron Cobra Jr. DE-MODIFICATION!

Interesting findings...maybe one day I'll try that heheh.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Maybe what I should do is find another cam drive pedal and de-modify my other Iron Cobra Jr.'s....hmm...
Cool Bo, it's good thinking to use the cam from the flexi on the Cobra Jr :)

Maybe you want to keep the other Cobra Jr with the chain? just in case you feel a chain driven feel could be better in a particular situation?, it's just a thought...
Old 07-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Cool Bo, it's good thinking to use the cam from the flexi on the Cobra Jr :)

Maybe you want to keep the other Cobra Jr with the chain? just in case you feel a chain driven feel could be better in a particular situation?, it's just a thought...
Perhaps. as it turns out, I have two HP200s to play with, and I still have the newer HP300 Iron Cobra Jr. as well. So I figure have two of them that are identical in addition to my regular Iron Cobra, and leave the HP300 un-touched. Depends on if I can find someone letting go of a vintage old cam drive Tama on eBay for next to nothing ;)