DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Anto's Avatar
Anto Anto is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 26
Default The Worse and Most Shameful "Quick Fixes"

Anyone ever need to fix a broken piece of kit in a hury or cheaply? I know I did!

Here's a pic from when the snare strainer on my snare broke.

I use 42 strand snares, so to keep them tight, the strainer need to be tight as hell,

unfortunately, this slowly wore the thread on the tightening screw, and eventually it didnt hold

anything anymore..




Surprisingly, this held up for quite a while, and the snare didn't actually sound that bad!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-24-2012, 04:32 PM
JohnPloughman JohnPloughman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 423
Default Re: The Worse and Most Shameful "Quick Fixes"

Tying up your snare drum with shoe strings, because your snare stand is 70 miles away in the other hardware case, is pretty hard to beat..
__________________
My Rogers Collection

http://www.wix.com/theploughman/theploughmansrogers
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-24-2012, 05:29 PM
bermuda's Avatar
bermuda bermuda is offline
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,933
Default Re: The Worse and Most Shameful "Quick Fixes"

Back in the day, we 'fixed' cracked sticks with electrical tape!

Bermuda
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-24-2012, 09:25 PM
Lovetadraw's Avatar
Lovetadraw Lovetadraw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 370
Default Re: The Worse and Most Shameful "Quick Fixes"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anto View Post
Anyone ever need to fix a broken piece of kit in a hury or cheaply? I know I did!

Here's a pic from when the snare strainer on my snare broke.

I use 42 strand snares, so to keep them tight, the strainer need to be tight as hell,

unfortunately, this slowly wore the thread on the tightening screw, and eventually it didnt hold

anything anymore..



Surprisingly, this held up for quite a while, and the snare didn't actually sound that bad!
I had a fix like that not too long ago, one of the bolts on my snare-butt broke, used a LOT of tape. Then I got a replacement bolt.
__________________
Christopher Walken would be pleased.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-24-2012, 09:27 PM
Swexx's Avatar
Swexx Swexx is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 472
Default Re: The Worse and Most Shameful "Quick Fixes"

I have a tradition of, just like Bermuda, duct taping sticks that are cracked / about to get cracked. It is actually a great way to make a pair of sticks last longer, if you're just gonna practice with them. Though it looks and feels cheap as hell.

Peace
__________________

Gretsch, Tama, Paiste
My drum cover of Changes by Yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NRCo2P0d60
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-25-2012, 12:06 AM
Anto's Avatar
Anto Anto is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 26
Default Re: The Worse and Most Shameful "Quick Fixes"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
Back in the day, we 'fixed' cracked sticks with electrical tape!

Bermuda
Funny that you say that actually, the nearest drum store from where I live is about 40 miles away,
so when i ran out of drumsticks last week...

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-26-2012, 09:13 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,228
Default Re: The Worse and Most Shameful "Quick Fixes"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swexx View Post
I have a tradition of, just like Bermuda, duct taping sticks that are cracked / about to get cracked. It is actually a great way to make a pair of sticks last longer, if you're just gonna practice with them. Though it looks and feels cheap as hell.

Peace
I've tried that and the sticks lack correct feel and rebound and it gets adhesive all over your drums and cymbals.

Stay far, far away from duct tape.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-26-2012, 09:32 PM
Fuo's Avatar
Fuo Fuo is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,684
Default Re: The Worse and Most Shameful "Quick Fixes"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I've tried that and the sticks lack correct feel and rebound and it gets adhesive all over your drums and cymbals.

Stay far, far away from duct tape.
+1 I think I'm some sort of OCD adhesive-ophobe. That gumminess everywhere would drive me nuts.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Swexx's Avatar
Swexx Swexx is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 472
Default Re: The Worse and Most Shameful "Quick Fixes"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I've tried that and the sticks lack correct feel and rebound and it gets adhesive all over your drums and cymbals.

Stay far, far away from duct tape.
Yeah, I know there are a lot of different opinions out there about duct tape. I for one think taping your sticks feels OK if you're just gonna practice with them. But I ain't the boss of what the rest of the world thinks.

Cheers
__________________

Gretsch, Tama, Paiste
My drum cover of Changes by Yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NRCo2P0d60
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-26-2012, 09:53 PM
dmacc's Avatar
dmacc dmacc is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,404
Default Re: The Worse and Most Shameful "Quick Fixes"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anto View Post
Funny that you say that actually, the nearest drum store from where I live is about 40 miles away,
so when i ran out of drumsticks last week...

This is great! I haven't seen a picture like that in a million years it seems. I did it all the time.

Back in the day, I had rocks from the backyard holding up flat based cymbal stands that would want to tip over easily.

I'd give anything to have a picture of it but I don't.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-26-2012, 11:54 PM
audiotech
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Worse and Most Shameful "Quick Fixes"

Sticks are cheap and they're one of the items in a drum kit that wear out. If I find that a pair of sticks become unusable they get thrown out. The only repair I ever made was to nylon tipped sticks when the tips came loose on good sticks. Now since I don't use nylon tips anymore, there are no repairs. I probably have at least 100 pairs of sticks because many are given to me and I'm always trying something new, but usually I rely on the same three or four models.

Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-27-2012, 01:18 AM
Anto's Avatar
Anto Anto is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 26
Default Re: The Worse and Most Shameful "Quick Fixes"

I use Masking Tape, a tape made with a pretty weak adhesif, used to hold pages to boards, and then take it off without ripping the page, i only resort to using that if i have no other sticks, i this, case, i didnt. The sticks feel super heavy and way out of balance, not to mention there is absolutely no bounce.. Drum rolls are a definite no!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-28-2012, 03:02 PM
Nickropolis's Avatar
Nickropolis Nickropolis is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 447
Default Re: The Worse and Most Shameful "Quick Fixes"

I know a bunch of people have done this and it's not so shameful, more creative in my eyes, but it does solve a lack of gear problem. I cobbled together a tom arm, splash clamp, hi hat rod and clutch to make an X-hat.

It seemed a little silly to spend almost 100 bucks (I live in Nova Scotia, not the biggest place and music stores are kind of expensive here) when, with a little deconstruction/destruction/reconstruction I could get something of similar quality. It'd be great if I had a proper set of smaller hats but making due now with, as of 5 seconds ago, what I will call Smash Hats.

*edit* I just remembered I once hockey taped a cowbell to a cymbal stand.

Last edited by Nickropolis; 06-28-2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Silliness.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-28-2012, 03:43 PM
THC's Avatar
THC THC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 401
Default Re: The Worse and Most Shameful "Quick Fixes"

Not really an emergency repair, but I bought a floor tom project drum that needed longer legs among other things. By the time I got a hoop, some rods, new heads and a new finish job, I didn't want to put any more money into it for new longer legs until I used it for a little while, so I made some 4" extensions out of wood and some black paint.

__________________
Mapex Meridian
"I hear and I forget, I see and I remember. I do and I understand."
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-28-2012, 04:12 PM
Swexx's Avatar
Swexx Swexx is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 472
Default Re: The Worse and Most Shameful "Quick Fixes"

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
Sticks are cheap and they're one of the items in a drum kit that wear out.
That doesn't mean they're cheap to me ;)

I am one of many here on Drummerworld who is/have been eating only beans or noodles for 10 years just so that I can afford sticks, cymbals and heads. Duct taping the sticks is, for me, an acceptable way to make sticks last a little longer = save a few bucks.

Alas, duct tape don't come cheap eather....
__________________

Gretsch, Tama, Paiste
My drum cover of Changes by Yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NRCo2P0d60
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-28-2012, 11:32 PM
audiotech
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The Worse and Most Shameful "Quick Fixes"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swexx View Post
That doesn't mean they're cheap to me ;)

I am one of many here on Drummerworld who is/have been eating only beans or noodles for 10 years just so that I can afford sticks, cymbals and heads. Duct taping the sticks is, for me, an acceptable way to make sticks last a little longer = save a few bucks.

Alas, duct tape don't come cheap eather....
To me, this is very similar to a writer not being able to afford paper. Taping up your broken sticks will do no good for the feel or technique of your playing. If I were you, I would look for a second job, if you already have a first, so that you can eat more healthier and better enjoy your hobby.

Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-29-2012, 06:19 PM
Anto's Avatar
Anto Anto is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 26
Default Re: The Worse and Most Shameful "Quick Fixes"

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
To me, this is very similar to a writer not being able to afford paper. Taping up your broken sticks will do no good for the feel or technique of your playing. If I were you, I would look for a second job, if you already have a first, so that you can eat more healthier and better enjoy your hobby.

Dennis
Or I'd suggest buying sticks in packs of 12 pairs, it comes down to about $5 per pair depending on the brand, as opposed to $12 if you're buying them single
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-30-2012, 07:52 AM
LukeSnyder's Avatar
LukeSnyder LukeSnyder is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: York, PA
Posts: 1,170
Default Re: The Worse and Most Shameful "Quick Fixes"

Tape on sticks for longer life? Check! I stopped doing that when I was about 12, however, haha. I've also repaired a split bass drum head with duct tape. Lots, and lots of duct tape.
__________________
"Bermuda is a jerk"
Check out my drumming blog and my youtube channel!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-30-2012, 08:58 PM
mcbike's Avatar
mcbike mcbike is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: houston, tx
Posts: 660
Default Re: The Worse and Most Shameful "Quick Fixes"

I broke my snare strings that hold the wires to the throwoff and I replaced them with a pair of cocktail straws from the bar. They actually sounded pretty good.
__________________
http://www.blaggards.com
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com