DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-13-2012, 09:01 PM

Default Evans vs. Remo

Hello all,

Im a fan of Remo and have been using them since I began playing drums. I love Coated Emperors over Clear Ambassadors. Classic combination and I prefer coated heads mainly because of how warm they sound.

Is there a definitive difference or is it just personal taste and experiences?... I have friends who have told me Evans aren't as warm as Remos and that they dont last as long either but then I have friends who tell me to make the switch. My only fear is the life of the head and flaking of the coating.

I want to get either Coated G2's or Coated Emperors.
Any recommendations between brands?

Here are some pics of my kit. Thin maple shells
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=91671

Thank you much,
Jorge
Old 06-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Evans vs. Remo

This debate is as old as Evans itself and is never ending with no clear resolution.

Don't be afraid to experiment mate....I have no idea why so many guys are. Buy a G2 and see if you like it. That's the only way you're really gonna know.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
This debate is as old as Evans itself and is never ending with no clear resolution.

Don't be afraid to experiment mate....I have no idea why so many guys are. Buy a G2 and see if you like it. That's the only way you're really gonna know.
Why are you so genious!? G2's it is, hah.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:12 AM
Rebel

Heads type and Tuning are all about personal (ears and feel).
Old 06-14-2012, 02:30 AM
Gold Member

Personally for my style and type of music played I prefer Aquarian over both of them. I have had problems with Remo's coating plus I also find their heads start to get dead and lifeless after just a few weeks. Evans coating I find is better and their heads seem to last for 3 or 4 months before starting to get dead and lifeless but I can get 8 months to a year out of Aquarian before starting to get dead and their coating seems to be almost bullet proof plus they cost less money. As for sound once tuned properly I dont really notice any difference between the equivalent heads from any of them.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:08 AM
Gold Member

i think remo's coating is rubbish. it comes off and marks within minutes of playing the skin. similarly i dislike the glue that evans uses on the rim that holds the drum in. its a strong white glue that will eventually rub off some of the white substance on your hoop.
i prefer aquarian drum heads, they seem to last the longest, with the best coating and no issues at all!
Old 06-16-2012, 06:04 AM

Like others have said, nothing wrong wth experimenting. I personally prefer Evans. I agree the Remo coating isn't that great (as far as durability). Warmth of the heads is VERY subjective... when considered coated vs coated. I don't think you can go wrong with Remo, Evans, or Aquarian but I would certainly give each a fair chance : )
Old 06-17-2012, 12:34 AM
Silver Member

go ahead and try something new. i was a die hard remo guy but a couple years ago i got tired of the coating on my snares coming off within a day so i switched to a power center by evans. one thing led to another and i replaced my emperors over ambassadors with evans new g14s on top over their resonant glass and couldn't be happier. i still use a powerstroke 3 on my kick though. i also used aquarian not that long ago but i had trouble finding them on a regular basis. either way aquarians customer service is FAR better than remo or evans
Old 06-19-2012, 05:08 AM

Jorge89- I appreciate your willingness to try something new! It is hard to leave your comfort zone when it comes to gear, so we thank you for keeping an open mind. I can assure you our coating process is better then it has ever been and does not flake off easily. I would like to offer you a sample of our G2 coated (The equivalent of an emperor) to try on your snare. Just send me the size snare you have and a shipping address. Thanks
Robert.caniglia@daddario.com
Old 06-19-2012, 07:09 AM

Remo are more simpler made heads, and not as technical as Evans.
Evans are more complex heads, and both heads are great! it all depends on the style and I know from experience that Remo make great tom heads, and Evans for snare and bass (kick Drum) mixing the two heads on your kit is unbeatable!
Old 06-19-2012, 07:21 AM
Platinum Member

I agree with all, to experiment, and learn your own tastes. Over the last few years, I've gone from Evans to Remo, but now just discovered Aquarian texture coated 1 ply, and will be sticking by them for toms. Great savings- where I live a 16 tom head by Remo is $6 more than Aquarian. Nonetheless I actually prefer Remo choices on bass drum (PS3 and Ambassador) and Evans on snare. I think they are all good.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:10 AM
Pioneer Member

People make all kinds of false claims about either. I've gone back and forth for years between Evans and Remo, and they're both good. People think the remos wear out quicker because the Mylar underneath is clear.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:38 AM
Gold Member

I've done both, as most of the people on here, and Evans is definitely the best on of the two. Durability, stick marks doesn't show, easier to find that sweet spot. I find the Ambassador to be better than G1, but the two ply coated heads from Evans are way better than the equivalent from Remo.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:05 AM
Platinum Member

I have used Remo, Ludwig, Gretsch, Evans, Aquarian, and a few others brands of heads. I now prefer Evans because they seem to tune up more quickly than the others, and I love the EC1 Reverse Dot snare batter head. I also really like the EQ bass drum heads. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / ProMark
Old 06-20-2012, 11:58 PM
Silver Member

The difference is more in the mind of the player than it is the physics of the head.

Remo will flake off more often (or is reported more often) than Evans. But you could get a defective Evans head that will flake off and swear off Evans like some have.

I like Evans because I've had the best luck dialing tones with them. They sound better to my ear. Remos sound warmer in some instances, but dead in others. OTOH, Remo does have their vintage series, in which I prefer the Vintage A on the snare if I like a wide-open sound, and prefer the Vintage E's on toms when I want a warm, fat sound. They really have their own sound and are probably what made Remo famous so many years ago. But I have never tried a G1 on my snare and I may like it better. So who knows?

Just try them and see. I've never had a set of heads that I couldn't stand - just some I have preferred over others.

Sabian AA, Meinl Byzance, Zildjian K
Old 06-21-2012, 01:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliherrera View Post
Remo are more simpler made heads, and not as technical as Evans.
How so?

And what's a tom head?
Old 06-24-2012, 05:22 PM

In Sweden where I live Evans cost much more than Remo. I pay about 18-19 bucks for a 14" coated Ambassador, while an Evans G1 or G2 cost 22-23 bucks.
That is the main reason I am using Remo - Evans does not seem to be very superior, but they are a lot more expensive = doesn't seem to be worth the extra cash to buy Evans here in Sweden.

Gretsch, Tama, Paiste
My drum cover of Changes by Yes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NRCo2P0d60
Old 06-24-2012, 06:10 PM

I just got a Evans G2 coated head for my snare. So far I'm happy with it. I experienced all the things that others have it was easy to tune and there is still a patch of roughness where the stick has come in contact with the head. Unlike Remo, Which I have found to have become smooth after a while of playing on it.
I've never had the coating on Remo heads flake before, but the two snares that I play at my local School of Rock aren't so lucky. One is truly epic I'll see if I can get a pic of it.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:54 PM

I'm an Evans guy (except for kick heads where I favor Aquarian) but I agree it boils down to personal preference so I'll join those who advocate experimentation. With that said, if flaking of coated heads is a concern, go with Evans. The coating on their snare drum batter heads will last far longer than Remo's. The one post that claimed the opposite left me scratching my head.