DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 06-18-2012, 11:07 PM

Default need some opinions

So i went to long and mquade today to show my dad the mapex falcons that are on sale. He thought they were nice but then he started looking around. He looked at axis and demon drives. So heres my question which pedals do u suggest? Axis a long board doubles pearl demon drive doubles or mapex falcons. Also he thought maube instead od double pedals that i should sell my pearl vision 6 pc to land m and biy the mapex horizon double bass kit they have there. So heres my dilemma, would love some help. Thanks in advance
Old 06-19-2012, 03:05 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: need some opinions

Well in the end it's all personal preference, what one guy likes another does not. Did you try any of the other pedals that your dad was looking at and compare them to the mapex? If not you really need to and let your feet decide which one feels best.

as far as selling your current kit for a double kick setup you need to factor in a few things. Tuning, cost of replacing heads, do you have a vehicle that can fit two kicks as well as the rest of your kit and hardware, space in your practice area and the places you either do or will play is there room for a second kick (most of the clubs and bars I played in a second kick wouldn't fit).

In my book I'll take a double pedal everytime over two kicks. Keep in mind you'll still need a second pedal for that second bass.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:24 AM

Thanks for the responce. I actually brought up the same point to my dad. Im leaning towards axis or dd. My only conserne is that dds had some problems. Is it true that the second gens solved these?
Old 06-19-2012, 03:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by risewiththefallen View Post
Thanks for the responce. I actually brought up the same point to my dad. Im leaning towards axis or dd. My only conserne is that dds had some problems. Is it true that the second gens solved these?
Try a direct drive pedal first. They have a totally different feel than a chain or strap driven pedal. Many actually don't like the honesty delivered by direct drives. If you've never played one before, you owe it to yourself to spend a bit of time playing around with one at the store.

Yeah there was supposedly an issue with a screw on the connecting rod being too long and it rubbed against the upright shaft on the main pedal. This has been fixed.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:45 AM

Thanks. I have tryed direct drive pedals before but not an axis or dd. Ive tried flying dragons and trick. Good to know that the problem has been fixed now it just comes downto feel.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:22 PM

So i am thinking of going with demon drives but i just read a few of threads about bolts stripping and breaking as well as hinges breaking. Are these all pretty isolated insodences
Old 06-21-2012, 01:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
So i am thinking of going with demon drives but i just read a few of threads about bolts stripping and breaking as well as hinges breaking. Are these all pretty isolated insodences
Can only speak for mine.......no problems with them since the day I bought them.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:12 AM
Platinum Member

The demon drive can be converted from long board to short board and can be converted from a double to two singles, it's very adjustable. Mine is still perfect after 2 years, nothing has gone wrong.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:41 AM

Thanks guys. I just bought mine. All i can say is amazing. With factory settings i was going faster then i ever could ( i had network pedals before). I changed out the beaters and set them as longboards..... Even better. So exited. Tomorrow after my exam im going to play with the settings. Thanks again for your responces..
Old 06-21-2012, 06:40 AM

Did you get a new pair of demon drives?

Is the bolt on the cam pretty short? On the generation 1 pedals the head of the bolt is the same size as the bolts that connect the Z-link. If they look the same, I'd recommend changing them out. If they are pretty short and very square looking, you are all good.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:06 PM

No there second gen. I checked at the store before i bought them. The bolt is amall and square. Bigger then i expected though
Old 06-21-2012, 01:48 PM

Also just a quick question. I thought demon drives were made in china. Mine say taiwan
Old 06-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Also just a quick question. I thought demon drives were made in china. Mine say taiwan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan