DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-16-2012, 12:46 AM

Default Jazz Selection

Hi guys,
I was wondering, what are some of you all's stick and head selection for Jazz, just so I have an idea of what to look for, and what are the characteristics of each, Thanks.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:04 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Jazz Selection

For jazz toms, most drummers use coated one-ply heads on top and bottom, such as Evans coated G1 or Remo coated Ambassador. The same heads can be used on snares and bass drums too. Good luck.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / ProMark
Old 06-16-2012, 06:01 AM

Personally, I always used coated batter heads (somewhat for warmth but mainly for brushes). I generally like one ply coated over one ply clear or coated (Ex. Evans G1 Coated over G1 Clear or Coated). Like Drumolator said, 9/10 times it'll be one ply coated over one ply coated.

As for sticks, my preference are Vater Super Jazz but any brand 7As do well for light stick work.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member

I also use a 1 ply coated over 1 ply coated or clear.

Sticks, I have tried and used many kinds of Vic Firth sticks (Weckl Evolution, SD9's, SD11's, etc..) but keep coming back to the Peter Erskine Ride stick or the Vic Firth SD4 Combos.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:37 AM
Silver Member

My first choice for batter heads and resonant side heads are the Aquarian Modern Vintage Mediums and I like the coated Superkick 1 or Evans coated EMAD for the bass drum batter. The resonant side of the bass drum would be a full front head with a felt strip for muffling.
The Aquarian MV heads are very warm out of the box, but they sound even better on e they get played in a bit. They have. Wide tuning range, great resonance and the coating is very durable. The superkick 1 or Coated EMAD are excellent heads and cut just the right amount of excessive ring without being too dead or thuddy.

My second choice for tom heads would be the Evans J1 etched top and bottom on the toms,
These are really nice heads, but very thin and can dent easily if played with excessive enthusiasm. :) I prefer to use these for acoustic trio or quartet gigs. On my snare drum, I really like the Evans G1 coated. Great for brushwork and they are very articulate and the coating lasts well.

For sticks, my preferred stick for Jazz gigs is the Regal Tip 8a in maple.I love Regal Tips' finish it allows me to relax my grip,and it gets tackier as it heats up. The map,ehas reduced stick shock and. They sound really nice on cymbals.I like the barrel shaped tip on the 8a as well.
I have recently started using the Zildjian John Riley model stick for my Big Band gigs, they have a great feel, long taper and a very nice acorn shaped bead, that sounds fantastic on the ride cymbal.