DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 06-11-2012, 07:48 PM

Default Rubber mats and triggering?

Hi all I am sure I have read that if one was to put a thick rubber mat under the frame of an e-kit it could cause a bit of bounce and cause cross talk,anyone else heard of this.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Rubber mats and triggering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shezza View Post
Hi all I am sure I have read that if one was to put a thick rubber mat under the frame of an e-kit it could cause a bit of bounce and cause cross talk,anyone else heard of this.
I have never had any cross talk from a Yamaha or Roland drum set. The only time I ever heard such a thing was on an Alesis performance pad.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shezza View Post
My second post lol.

Yeah the piezo triggers work on shock, and cross talk is because of pad to pad vibrations through the frame, i dont think a rubber mat would make much difference. The only thing i can think of for this reasoning is maybe the rubber bouncing the vibrations back up the frame, but to be honest I would have thought a rubber mat under it would cut down cross talk rather than create it. There are people who have made tennis ball platforms which is an awesome idea to stop the noise of an e-kit traveling through the floor, I havent heard any problem with cross talk. The reason alesis suffer more than roland is because of the design of the brackets, pads and frame, they havent put quite so much effort into it as roland. But if its an alesis kit you have, I swapped my drum module for a trigger io and get amazing sensitivity and dynamics on the pads with no cross talk. Let me know if you want more information, I did a little alesis pads / trigger io demo on my youtube channel.

Hope it helps
Old 06-14-2012, 06:26 PM

Just thinking out loud ...

If the rubber mat is one continuous mat ... the vibrations could travel down the leg, through the whole mat and up other legs.

What happens if each leg of the stand was on its own individual mat? This would hopefully reduce the chance for the vibration to go down a leg through the rubber mat and then up another leg.

Please don't cut up your beautiful mat because I said so :(

If you have multiple smaller mats though ... this is something you could try.

Edit:

Maybe you could look for rubber washers that you could add to the connection points of your frame and/or pad connections too?

Or ... hit the pads very very very softly ;)