DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-13-2012, 03:31 AM

Default 2-Ply Resonant Head

Hi guys,

As you can obviously see, I'm new here. I've been playing the drums for some time (5 years) and I finally got new heads. Except I accidentally bought Evans' G2 coated heads for the batter and G2 Clear for resonant. After those heads shipped, I realized that the G2's are 2-ply, so I'm using a 2-ply batter and a 2-ply resonant.

Will a 2-ply resonant affect my drums negatively, like a "muddy" sound or less pitch? Should I try to return the heads for G1 clear heads? I bought those heads from Amazon and I don't really want to go through a long return process. I know that most people use a 1/2-ply batter and 1-resonant like G1 clear or Remo Ambassadors, but if a 2-ply is OK, then I'll be happy. After all, they have to sound better than 5-year old stock heads, right?
Old 06-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: 2-Ply Resonant Head

If you are playing at home by yourself, you may like how that sounds. If you tune the bottom head higher, it may sound OK, and, in fact, you may really like it. If you are playing gigs, your drums may sound rather muffled to the audience. Play them that way for a while, until you wear out the top heads; then, put the bottom heads on top and get one-ply heads for the bottoms. Good luck.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / ProMark
Old 06-13-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumolator View Post
If you are playing at home by yourself, you may like how that sounds. If you tune the bottom head higher, it may sound OK, and, in fact, you may really like it. If you are playing gigs, your drums may sound rather muffled to the audience. Play them that way for a while, until you wear out the top heads; then, put the bottom heads on top and get one-ply heads for the bottoms. Good luck.
Have you personally tried 2-ply heads on the bottoms? Some forums say that they make the drum "muddy" or increase the sustain too much. How about recording: how will they sound if I mic the heads?
Old 06-13-2012, 06:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by storminthenorman View Post
Have you personally tried 2-ply heads on the bottoms? Some forums say that they make the drum "muddy" or increase the sustain too much. How about recording: how will they sound if I mic the heads?
2 ply heads reduce sustain, I would think that 2 ply top and bottom would be really dead sounding. Personally I dont even like using a 2 ply batter I just find them too controlled for my taste.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by storminthenorman View Post
Yes, I have tried it. I started playing drum set around 1970, and I have tried just about every head, head combo, and drum stick. However, it was a long time ago that I tried a two-ply head on the reso side. If you are really worried about it, and money is an issue: send them back.

All of this is a matter of opinion. You are the only one who can say if it "sounds good." If you continue playing drums, heads will come and go. Take this as a learning experience, or send them back. What drums do you have? What is your playing situation?

I would put the G2 heads on the tops of the toms and send the others back. Peace and goodwill.

P.S. With toms there is no such thing as too much sustain. I want mine to ring as long as possible.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / ProMark