...for the jazz cats ...

Well, I'm a rock guy deep in my heart too, but over the years I discovered other types of music and happen to love them as much as rock music.

I love jazz, but I'm no "jazz cat", that's for sure, and I doubt that I will ever be one.

I played in a jazz quartet once, a long time ago, the others liked what I did, but I didn't, I felt like a fish out of water, I couldn't get the right feel, the right context, so after a month, I left the band, I've never played in a proper jazz band since, only some bands with some jazz influences.

hang around this thread Henri and we will convert you into a Cat in no time

:)

Couple questions for the cats:

1) Sweeping motions with brushes: Clockwise or counter-clockwise? Counter-clockwise here, though I'm under the impression I'm in the minority.

2) Playing 3/4, do you typically keep time with the hi-hat with left foot on beat 2 or beats 2 and 3? Or do you go the Elvin route and do something else entirely?

1) Sweeping motions with brushes: Clockwise or counter-clockwise? Counter-clockwise here, though I'm under the impression I'm in the minority.

2) Playing 3/4, do you typically keep time with the hi-hat with left foot on beat 2 or beats 2 and 3? Or do you go the Elvin route and do something else entirely?

1) Im a clockwise cat ...but will occasionally sweep counter clockwise for certain patterns....or even in a basic pattern every now and then as a turn around or to shake up the feel

2) I had to sit down and play for a second to answer this one.....I definitely alternate
sometimes 2
sometimes 2 and 3
sometimes just 3
sometimes the "and" of 1 or 2 or maybe 3 ...hahahaha

its kinda all over the place for me

but if its intended to be a proper waltz I will probably do 2 and 3

1) Im a clockwise cat ...but will occasionally sweep counter clockwise for certain patterns....or even in a basic pattern every now and then as a turn around or to shake up the feel

2) I had to sit down and play for a second to answer this one.....I definitely alternate
sometimes 2
sometimes 2 and 3
sometimes just 3
sometimes the "and" of 1 or 2 or maybe 3 ...hahahaha

its kinda all over the place for me

but if its intended to be a proper waltz I will probably do 2 and 3

This sums it up for me as well for both questions.

Both, as well as an "8" motion with the brushes.

Both with the 3/4. As well as every other beat (2, 1, 3 etc) Depending on the feel. I always liked the way Joe Morello handled 3/4. Clear, concise but swinging. Max too.

Oh Snap!

I have to get that Binney record, I love Ed Simon! Thanks Numberless!

Yeah, it's great, my teacher gave it to me. I love teachers like that, everytime I enter the room he's like "hey have you heard this guy?" or "you have to check this record out". I'm listening to a ton of new music thanks to him.

btw I was catching up with your blog and I loved the Rules of Improvisation article, so much truth in there!

1) Clockwise most of the time.

2) I prefer just beat 2 but I like playing around with it a la Roy Haynes.

Hey Guys,

Sounds useful and fun.

I will start with a question, does anyone have any good/swinging recordings in 5/4 they could add to Todd's excellent list? If you haven't checked it out here is the link:

http://shipdrummer.blogspot.com/2012/06/cracking-54-listening.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2Fshipdrummer+%28Cruise+Ship+Drummer!%29

I don't know about you guys but 5 has always really eluded me, so Todd's work on this has been super helpful. Any tips/anecdotes/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Dmacc, that is a truly wonderful gift your father passed on to you.

Here ya go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6j1SWM1z7w

Not sure if you've already seen / used it but John Riley's book - The Jazz Drummer's Workshop: Advanced Concepts for Musical Development - has a great section on 3/4 time and fills/solos. It's actually a wonderful book overall.

Not sure if you've already seen / used it but John Riley's book - The Jazz Drummer's Workshop: Advanced Concepts for Musical Development - has a great section on 3/4 time and fills/solos. It's actually a wonderful book overall.

Yeah, I worked extensively with those sections last semester and they're wonderful exercises. Right now I'm checking out the chapter 2 "Holding the Groove" exercises, not gonna lie I'm finding them really hard especially singing the beats while playing them, great stuff, at this point I'll pretty much listen to anything John Riley has to say, the man is a genious imo.

Yeah, I worked extensively with those sections last semester and they're wonderful exercises. Right now I'm checking out the chapter 2 "Holding the Groove" exercises, not gonna lie I'm finding them really hard especially singing the beats while playing them, great stuff, at this point I'll pretty much listen to anything John Riley has to say, the man is a genious imo.

That's a great section! I found it a neat challenge to play the "Holding the Groove" section at 40 bpm trying to keep it relaxed and feeling good.

I was a rock guy for most of my life and for the past 2 years have pretty much dedicated almost all my drumming efforts to jazz.

I though it would be cool to have a thread for the jazz cats .....

guys like 8mile, Andrew Hare, Numberless and the like to come and talk about all things jazz

things you are working on, listening to, gear, gigs, blog entries, books, drummers, concerns , revelations, whatever......

this way those who dont enjoy jazz dont have to come here and everyone is happy

who knows...maybe Chunky will start one for the metal cats......and Joe Morris, one for the funk cats ......

lets see how it works out

what say you guys ?

Wow just saw this thread, good stuff! I'll be pilferring everyones ideas and knowledge seens as I'm making a conscious effort to get more into jazz and hopefully one day love it.

I'll read all the posts when I get in from band practise tonight. Who knows I might just make that thread too, lol.

Nice work!

1. For a long time I played clockwise until one day I realized that I had unconsciously switched directions . I still have no idea why, it just happened naturally. Now I play counter-clockwise.

2. My default in 3 is on beat 2, but I do like to switch it up if the tune calls for it. For example on a more gospel style 3 I like to do beats 2 and 3 to simulate clapping. On the other hand if a tune has a more "floaty" groove I may only use the hi-hat for coming (with the great Roy Haynes in mind).

Yeah, it's great, my teacher gave it to me. I love teachers like that, everytime I enter the room he's like "hey have you heard this guy?" or "you have to check this record out". I'm listening to a ton of new music thanks to him.

btw I was catching up with your blog and I loved the Rules of Improvisation article, so much truth in there!

Thanks!

I was really struck by all the parallels between sketch improv and improvising in jazz, and I'm glad you liked the article. For those of you who haven't checked it out the article is here:

http://haredrums.blogspot.com/2012/05/food-for-thought-rules-of-improv.html

Very relevant to this thread actually. In the article I discuss Tina Fey's 4 rules of improv from her book "Bossypants" and apply them to improvising in jazz, check it out.

For years I've heard about something called the "Philly lick." Miles Davis mentions it in his autobiography, he even claims that he invented it and passed it on to Philly Joe Jones. He says that Jones made a lot of money playing that lick.

Of course, a lot of what Miles Davis said in his later years was preposterous rubbish.

But what's the damn lick? As near as I can gather, what it means is playing side stick on the four. But there were drummers doing that before Philly Joe Jones did it.

So, once and for all, can someone tell me exactly what the Philly lick is?

Personally I don't think there's any such thing.

Last edited:
For years I've heard about something called the "Philly lick." Miles Davis mentions it in his autobiography, he even claims that he invented it and passed it on to Philly Joe Jones. He says that Jones made a lot of money playing that lick.

Of course, a lot of what Miles Davis said in his later years was preposterous rubbish.

So what's the lick? As near as I can gather, what it means is playing side stick on the four. But there were drummers doing that before Philly Joe Jones did it.

"Gimme that Philly lick!"

I think the only place I ever read about that was Miles' autobiography. I came to the same conclusion about what it was, which never made any sense because, like you say, that goes back way before Philly Joe.

I'd love to hear the answer to this one myself.

For years I've heard about something called the "Philly lick." Miles Davis mentions it in his autobiography.

As near as I can gather, what it means is playing side stick on the four. But there were drummers doing that before Philly Joe Jones did it.

I always thought the "Philly lick" was the cross sick on the 4 ...like a back beat

you hear many Miles drummers use this after Joe Jones

Jimmy Cobb says Miles insisted on it.....I have a MD article somewhere ...where Cobb talks about this...Ill try to dig it up ...its in one of the boxes full of MD in my moms basement

I always thought the "Philly lick" was the cross sick on the 4 ...like a back beat

Jimmy Cobb says Miles insisted it.....I have a MD article somewhere ...where Cobb talks about this...Ill try to dig it up ...its in one of the boxes full of MD in my moms basement

Yes, I believe that's what the Philly lick is. But I've heard that Art Blakey has been given credit for originating it (or at least popularizing it), although I think Philly used it more than Art did.

Ed

Jimmy Cobb says Miles insisted on it.....I have a MD article somewhere ...where Cobb talks about this...Ill try to dig it up ...its in one of the boxes full of MD in my moms basement

Yes, as I said, side stick on the four. And you hear every damn jazz drummer in the world play that. I mean, whoop-de-doo.

Back