DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 06-06-2012, 11:56 PM

Default Pedal not sitting in center.

Anyone else having problems with this? I have a trick dominator and i cant seem to get the pedals in the center the slave beater is always more to the left off center and if i move my pedal more to the right the bass drum ends up going up at one end.. 22x18" kick drum btw.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:24 AM

Default Re: Pedal not sitting in center.

This is normal for a lot of double pedals. Some are designed so the right and left are off a bit so as a whole you're hitting in the center, if that makes sense.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Gold Member

Design flaw, my friend? That's one of the few idiosyncrasies (sp?) I've come across.
It seems like it is made to sit perfectly as a single pedal, with the master beater just about perfect center. However, the double pedal's design does purposely put the slave beater to the left. The width of the front of the pedal that attaches to the hoop is too wide to move left or right.

My DW9000 single pedal sits a little to the right of center, so I'm not sure there is a pedal out there that sits perfect both as a single and double.

To me, there isn't much of a difference in tone (which should be the main concern). You may notice something if you closely mic it, turn up the gain and then record it. It's just one of those things you kinda have to deal with after you lay out the cash. Again, I can't really tell any difference in tone. I think it could have been designed better myself. Either way, I found it to be a smooth, remarkable pedal.

I'll try to do a complete Trick Dominator review soon...

Last edited by BigDinSD; 06-08-2012 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

When drummers first started using double bass drums, the idea was two different sounds.

Hitting any drum dead center doesn't always produce the best, desired sound, this includes the kick drum.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:32 AM
Gold Member

Have you considered the option that your pedal might me liberal or conservative?
Old 06-08-2012, 02:15 PM

Ok, i figured a visual representation would help. Firstly. ive reduced the height of my beaters so theyll look smaller obviously. Hopefully in this picture you can see that the beaters are more to the left hitting the skin and not the pad. No matter how much i try to get the beaters to strike at the correct position by moving my bass drum it goes at an angel, so the pedal is raised up and when i push down on the pedal it moves to the ground and into the bass drum.

Mr. Compactness i understand what you mean but i dont think that your saying is the case with my problem.

BigDinSD i guess your maybe right with the design flaw, i understand that the trick dominators forte would be as single pedals, after all it is 2 signal pedals that can be joined together. It just sucks i would need to fork out another 450 for a second kick :(

PS.. its fuckin doing my tits in.
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Administrator

You could slide them closer together but it is impossible to have both in the center. They will be the width od the beater off of center at best depending on the adjustment slides. the ones pictured above could be closer though.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:50 PM

It is impossible for me to move the beaters closer together. I know the beaters wont sit bang on center, i mean double bass center if you understand what i mean.

In the picture you see the evans bass skin protector.. the beaters should be strinking the left and right of that, but the left beater is hitting half the protector and half the skin.. and the more i try to move the pedal so that they both hit the pad the bass/drum gets raised up.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

In the picture you see the evans bass skin protector.. the beaters should be strinking the left and right of that, but the left beater is hitting half the protector and half the skin.. and the more i try to move the pedal so that they both hit the pad the bass/drum gets raised up.

Move the EVANS pad so the beaters strike it where you want.

There's no law/rule that says the pad has to be dead-center of the head, that's what we're trying to get at.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healdo View Post
Mr. Compactness i understand what you mean but i dont think that your saying is the case with my problem..
I think it is...it sounds like you placed the patch first and of course because the beaters aren't centered, they're not hitting where you want. As Les said, you need to move the patch. It's not going to be that easy to get the patch off, but for next time, place the patch in relation to the beaters.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
When drummers first started using double bass drums, the idea was two different sounds.

Hitting any drum dead center doesn't always produce the best, desired sound, this includes the kick drum.
Yes! Exactly .