DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Silver Member

Default Rehearsal PA/Stage monitor suggestions

I would be grateful for any suggestions for a rehearsal PA/Stage monitor setup.

For rehearsal we're looking for a small PA just for vocals, maybe a max of three vox inputs.

For the Stage monitor setup we'd be looking to use the same unit, or part thereof as a monitor for output from a mixer, so the band can hear what is going on upfront.

So far I have been looking along the lines of the Behringer powered monitors, in about the $220 range (budget is an issue), although having googled to do some research, opinions seem divided on the quality of Behringer products.

What have my colleagues here on DW used?

Thanks
Old 05-24-2012, 01:46 AM

Default Re: Rehearsal PA/Stage monitor suggestions

You may as well get something you can use on the road for small gigs. I used a Peavey 8600 powered mixer. Worked fine. Still does. You can run two front of house speakers and 2 monitors. Assuming they are 8ohm speakers. You can add all the powered subs and monitors you want. Pretty good little box. Peavy should be the lowest you go quality wise. They pretty much dont break. Easy to figure out. and great for practice though you dont need monitors for that. Just turn the speakers around.
My behringer board just crapped out in the middle of a gig. Thats bad. Ordered a soundcraft board.
The soundcraft gigrack is another option. 500 watts to mains and monitors at 4 ohms. onboard effects like the peavey and 399 all day long on ebay.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:19 PM
Silver Member

Jim,

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately, I don't have the budget, or the space for something of the size you suggest, hence going the powered monitor route, but you give food for thought concerning Behringer, maybe look at other brands, Mackie, Kustom, Nady, Numark.....
Old 06-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Platinum Member

Mackies are quite good and pretty expensive. We have some Mackie PA stuff at our church, and it is some of the best I have ever heard in over 40 years of being in bands. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / Vater
Old 06-04-2012, 03:31 AM

For many years at rehearsal, our band would put the vocals through spare guitar amps, and obviously they sounded awful.

As drummer (and non-singer) I decided to buck up and buy a PA/monitor system for our band for rehearsals and small gigs (the larger clubs have their own PAs, etc....)

After MUCH research (and also hearing divided opinions on Behringer), I went with the Behringer 215d powered speakers. Overall they received favorable reviews (the 212s did as well). Look for them on sale at the major music retailer websites. I bought 4 of them, 2 for PAs, and 2 for monitors. I honestly went with the powered speaker/passive mixer route because it simplifies things for me/our band.

For a mixer, I went with the Peavey PV 14. This gives enough inputs for 3 vocals and plenty more if I ever need to mic the drums or guitars. There are also smaller/cheaper models available in the 4, 8, or 10 input range to suit your need.

I'm very happy with the speakers and mixer thus far and it's suitable for rehearsal and the small gigs.

Now why on earth the drummer has to buy this I have no idea....
Old 06-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for this info, I too have heard mixed opinions on Behringer gear.

I do agree about why it's the drummer who buys the PA, from my point of view, it was mainly so I could get a monitor to hear what's going on on stage, and if the same monitor could be used for rehearsal, so much the better.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Gold Member

I too am the PA owner and I have had problems with the berrigner and mackie stuff, got rid if it all and went with peavey BW speakers, and eq's, allen and heath board and yamaha p series power amps and monitors and its been almost 14 years now with nothing but replacing a couple speaker baskets for repairs. I have since upgraded my self to a shure in ear monitor to make it easier to hear with less volume and reduce hearing loss...lol