DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-02-2012, 08:13 PM

Default Can a broken reso head cause overtones?

Hi!

My problem is that my snare(a pretty old Amati wooden snare) is giving me some really nasty overtones,but I don't exactly know why.I just bought an Evans Onyx head for it,and I also noticed that somehow my reso head got pierced by something,and it started to rip slowly. My question is,could it be that the resonant head(which is a Remo Ambassador by the way) is causing all those terrible overtones?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-02-2012, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Can a broken reso head cause overtones?

Could have an effect, take a reso off a tom and see what kinda sound you get, the reso typically adds more body to the sound. What sort of overtones are you getting?

I would first ditch that onyx head, Tried one on a snare once.... once... Set yourself up with an ST dry or HD Dry...
Old 06-02-2012, 08:41 PM

I'm getting some really long lasting overtones,starting with a high pitch then ending in a lower pitch.I have no idea what's going on, I've been tuning this son of a bitch for hours today,and still nothing...muffling,dampening with paper towels removes the overtones,but it leaves me with a really "dead" sound,so it's definitely not a solution...What was your problem with the Onyx head?
Old 06-02-2012, 08:44 PM

I'll try to take the reso head off tomorrow,and see if anything changes about the overtones,but if it doesn't, I don't know what to do...it's just so annoying, it kills the whole sound of my kit!
Old 06-02-2012, 11:03 PM
Silver Member

Before you ditch the Onyx, get a new reso head. It sounds like it definitely needs to get replaced.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:12 PM

I agree,it is starting to rip apart more and more,and it makes some real weird noises right now...

By the way,I took the drum apart,and tightened up all the screws on the body,checked the bearing edges, replaced then retuned both heads, and finally put the snare back on. It did eliminate some of the noise(mostly the "metallic" parts, the screws must have caused those), but the results weren't pleasing. So I tried something, I quickly cut a ghetto O-ring from an old 14" head, and actually, it worked pretty well! It didn't choke the drum completely, some of the ring is still there,but that's just what I wanted.I'll replace the reso head as soon as I can next week, and see what it does.

What brand/type of reso head do you recommend,for a clear,punchy,"cracking" sound?
Old 06-03-2012, 01:11 AM
Platinum Member

Regardless of if it's the peirced head, tuning or just the drum that's causing the overtones, a broken snare reso heads need to be replaced.

There are a few options, but most commonly a 3mil snare side reso is used. A Remo snare side Ambassador (not the same as a regular Ambassador) or an Evans Hazy 300 will work.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:09 AM
Silver Member

I wonder what you mean by "overtones." Overtones are harmonic tones generated in addition to the fundamental sound. If you have a torn head, the ripped edges will rub against one another as you play, and your sound will change a lot as the tear gets worse. Never play with a ripped head. Period. Replace the head and tune again, making sure that the head is seated evenly. Tune the reso head a little higher than the batter. Listen as you tune, and go slowly. If the sound returns, check for any loose fittings, and determine if it gets worse as you tune high or lower. If by the word "overtone " you mead a ringing sound, that may be from teh material that you shell is made of. Metals like steel and some brass ring a lot more than wood, aluminum, or bronze. You may need to dampen.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:41 AM
Platinum Member

Amati's were made in Czechoslovakia, and were made of beech, if my info is correct. A new reso is in order (holes and tears are bad). Since you said the o-ring got you close .... that's cool. A Remo Powerstroke 3 has a built on ring, and so does the Evans Genera HD Dry, and it's an awesome snare head. I use both, on different snares that I have.
If you can't dial it in, take it to a pro drum shop (if you have one around). It's probably a definite keeper, simply because you don't see too many of them.