DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 05-28-2012, 11:06 PM

Default Help with Axis Pedal

I recently bought a used Axis single pedal (AX-A) and I'm running into a minor issue with securing it to the drum with the clamp...

This pedal is the one without the sonic beater, so its just one single beater assembly, without the extended beater mechanism.

The problem I'm running into is that if I secure the pedal to the hoop using the clamp, the variable drive lever is too close to the head, making contact with it. This causes extra resistance on both directions of movement, and damages the head.

Currently, I am just sticking the pedal to the ground near the head with the velcro on the bottom, but as expected, the kick drifts away, leaving me with zero impact.

Is there any way I can rig up something to extend the reach of the hoop or the clamp? Maybe using a couple pieces of plywood to give me an extra 1/2" to clamp onto? Has anyone else seen this issue before?
Old 05-29-2012, 06:07 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Help with Axis Pedal

okay these are just a few things i could come up with after reading your posts, take em or leave em. either put something heavy in front of the legs so the bass doesn't move, look for bass drum hoops with a wider rim, or... screw a plate of some sort to your bass drum hoop ....GAHHHH even as i type that last one it makes me cringe, scratch that dont take any of my advice wait until someone with half a brain comments lol.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Silver Member

Pics? I'm not quite sure how this would happen? How deep are your hoops?
Old 05-29-2012, 01:25 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy View Post
Pics? I'm not quite sure how this would happen? How deep are your hoops?
Agreed!..need to see some pictures..your pedal may not have stops on it, but if you place the bass drum connector halfway onto hoop, the variable drive lever will not touch head...

Last edited by scorch whammin; 05-31-2012 at 01:47 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:44 PM

I had the same exact thing happen to mine, but my model is the Axis X double pedal. I ended up having to get some hoop savers, and moving the clamp out onto the edge of the hoop to get the drive lever not hitting the head. I also had to move the rubber "feet" that the hoop sits on to the bottom of the floorboard, because the rug I was using was too soft, and the weight of the bass drum was pushing the front of the opedal down, and the heel would actually come up, causing the lever to be pushed even further into the head.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:32 AM

That's weird, I also have the X pedals, I push it all the way in, with the clamp touching the head at the bottom, and nothing but that and the beater has ever touched the head. Doesn't make sense why two pedals would be so different.

but anyway, a wider bass drum hoop should solve it http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/ind...x&cPath=6_7_67 you can see on there some hoops are 1.5" wide and some are 1.75" wide.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

AXIS pedals are all one-offs, so there 'might be' a inconsistency with the the hoop clamp placement.

Some players don't even use the hoop clamp on AXIS', they take it off the plate, let the bass drum rest on the rubber and the velcro mad grip a rug.

I play my PEARL pedal completely off the hoop, the hoop just buts-up against the pedal.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:33 PM

Get Axis customer service on the phone. They can be hard to get ahold of (try calling mid-afternoon pacific standard time), but if you do get them, they're usually very helpful.