DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-26-2012, 05:08 AM

Default how much do you dismantle your kit between gigs?

Hi guys,
This is my first post - I've only been here a few days (but I love it already)
I'm just curious as to how people dismantle their kit while transporting it. I've known people who will leave floor tom legs on, leave hi-hat clutches on, won't collapse cymbal stands etc... but I've also known people who take apart the whole thing, including storing felts and washers seperate from the stands.

How far do you go?
Old 05-26-2012, 06:01 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: how much do you dismantle your kit between gigs?

Cymbals and toms off and into their cases, cow bell, jam block and tamborine stay mounted on stand, fold legs in, 4 stands, high hat stand, snare stand and double pedal all fit in riser at full length, riser folds in half, locks together and rolls. Pics in this thread.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...58#post1049058

Last edited by tard; 09-21-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Gold Member

I have a standard fiber trap case with a cymbal slot on the side, a snare drum bay, one extra (small) bay and a removable tray on top. As I have a case for the snare and a bag for the cymbals, I use the cymbal slot for my cymbal stands (5 Ludwig 1400 series which have to come apart in two pieces to fit) and tom arms. The pedal and extra stands go in the snare drum bay and the snare stand, cow bells and wood block go in the extra bay. All other stands and clamps go in the tray. The up side is that everything has it's place and it is easy to tell if you have everything. The only down side is that it gets pretty heavy.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

Obviously the drums and cymbals come off their stands and in bags/cases as appropriate. Pedals go in a carry bag. Stands, I collapse the booms and tripods, collapse the tubes enough to fit them in the car, and that's it (I leave all the clamps and extra booms attached). I have a Subaru outback with the back seat that folds down, and even with a six-piece I don't ever get cramped (unless I'm also taking along PA gear).

I have found that if I don't tear stands down all the way and put them back together when they're at the destination, I save on setup time and also on wear and tear. I simply check for tightness when I set them up again and adjust placement if necessary. I also use a LOT of memory clamps.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:28 AM
Platinum Member

I leave the felts, etc. on the stands, along with some of the clamps. Otherwise I tear it all down and put everything in cases. Peace, goodwill, and blues.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / ProMark
Old 05-28-2012, 06:48 AM
Platinum Member

I tear down as little as possible. I'm cool with floor tom legs extended. I fold cymbal and stand bottoms, but don't collapse tubes. When I was gigging with a rack, and had my VW van, I used to fold up the rack with all the cymbal arms in place and at full height.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Silver Member

Yonks ago before I got cases for everything I had an old Pearl Export which I used to transport Russian-doll style:

Took the resonant head off the 22" bass drum and lined it with a thick blanket.
Then took the res head off the 16" floor tom and put that (with legs) inside the bass drum.
Then put the 12" tom inside the floor tom.
Then put my throne seat on the 12" tom.
Then I usually folded the blanket over and put the cymbals on top (14" hats inside a 16" crash inside a 20" ride).
The snare would sit somewhere else and all the hardware was wrapped up (collapsed, but not dismantled) in a big dust sheet.

This way I could fit me, the singer/guitarist, bass player, my kit, and all their gear into a Mark 3 Vauxhall Astra.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Tempered Clavier View Post
Yonks ago before I got cases for everything I had an old Pearl Export which I used to transport Russian-doll style:

Took the resonant head off the 22" bass drum and lined it with a thick blanket.
Then took the res head off the 16" floor tom and put that (with legs) inside the bass drum.
Then put the 12" tom inside the floor tom.
Then put my throne seat on the 12" tom.
Then I usually folded the blanket over and put the cymbals on top (14" hats inside a 16" crash inside a 20" ride).
The snare would sit somewhere else and all the hardware was wrapped up (collapsed, but not dismantled) in a big dust sheet.

This way I could fit me, the singer/guitarist, bass player, my kit, and all their gear into a Mark 3 Vauxhall Astra.
That's painful, but been there, done that, & got the 'T'shirt. You gotta do what you gotta do, right?
Old 05-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
I tear down as little as possible. I'm cool with floor tom legs extended. I fold cymbal and stand bottoms, but don't collapse tubes.
Very much my approach too, however, it would depend on the travelling involved, to a very nearby gig, as very little as possible and without using cases, even if it implies a couple of trips, on longer trip I will use the cases.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
That's painful, but been there, done that, & got the 'T'shirt. You gotta do what you gotta do, right?
Yeah - it's the complete reverse now: Hardcases for the drums and Bags for cymbals and hardware. I can just about fit me and my kit into my car - but no passengers. The Export was a very resilient kit - stacking the drums inside each other didn't even trouble the heads too much.

After finishing a rehearsal yesterday, I saw a bunch of kids going into the room after us; the drummer was unloading his kit from what I assume was his mother's car and everything came out fully assembled. I mean he had transported the hi-hats mounted on the stand with the legs extended and everything. To each their own - I suppose . . .