Getting funded by a record label

And I'll add:

20 something years ago, I had the dreams, desires and the plans to make it in the music business too.

And of course, tons of people told me it wasn't possible, a waste of time, blah, blah,blah.
But I also got a lot of good advice too.

But looking back, I can say one major problem I had was I was so intent on throwing out the negative comments, I tossed aside some good advice along with it that I wish I had taken more to heart.

Which is my point in the last post, don't ignore the good advise just because you don't like some of the negative aspects.

dude, i told you roughly what to expect and roughly what it would cost. i said nothing about not doing it. you want every little single detail of it? fine, i'll give it to you. i never once said you couldn't, or shouldn't or anything else.

if you can get the money together go for it, no harm in trying. the only warning i gave you was not to expect making money all the time. sometimes you do, sometimes you don't.

so don't go and get all hurt saying nobody helped you and nobody saw your side or your point. everything your talking about i've been doing for years, i don't agree with all your views or your philosophies but thats not saying your wrong either. there's a lot more to doing this stuff then just getting money and thats what people are telling you.

1. get a band
2. get some songs
3. play places and meet people, network

then worry about putting on your shows and starting your own label. it makes no sense to start thinking about doing your own tour if you don't even have a band or songs. it's nice to have goals and such but think realistically and by that i don't mean stop dreaming, i mean think about the things you need first then do them, then the things you need second them do them and so on. i don't see that as being negative, it's setting you in the right direction. or would you rather i tell you oh sure put on that show next week, who needs a band to play it? who needs songs to play? think about tomorrow not 10 years from now, concentrate on whats right in front of you right now rather then what could be in the next decade.

once you have a band and have 10-15 songs then start opening for other bands, get 30 -45 songs start headlining your shows, travel around the local area and build a fan base for a year or 2, then move to near by states for another year or 2.

oh hell with it, i can keep going for hours, you either get the point or you don't. it can be done but you need to put more thought into it and set priorities.

Hey mate at the end of the day go for it, you need to go there to realise all this for yourself...........as was said some great stuff below........

As you've said here mate if you can find another three or four musicians who are as patient as you then go for it..............within a couple of months most are itching and believing 'were not gonna make it' and will fall off the radar.........

But hey get out there and prove us wrong...........I wish you luck and admire your vision

I still disagree with you that a Christain metal band cant be hugely successful.

I dont understand why it is so hard for people to understand that it is a building process. And as the band starts to make more money that will open more doors and contacts for us. We wont be starting out with a million dollors. We have to build up to that point.

Of couse its a business. But there are different ways to do business. All business is not done in the same way. There are ways to do things that a lot of epople dont do them that need to be explored.

I know Imogean Heap. i know that she has done well thus far. I think that if she keeps building it up she will get to where she can tour europe at some point. It may take some time but it can happen.

The thought of forming my own label is looking more interesting to me at this point.

Some of you guys have given me good info ( namely your brake down info azrae1, and the info you have given me bermuda). I did not mean for it to sound like no one has not given me any good info in this thread.

$187.43

That was my final "pay" when a band I played in recently hung up it's hat. We did everything DIY, released 2 indie albums, countless regional shows, 3 national tours and 1 international. We funded everything ourselves with the exception of the international tour, which we received a $12,000 grant from our government, that tour left us with $120 in our bank account.

The second album had a price tag of around $8000, we sold maybe 500 discs @ $10 a pop. We also never saw a return on the money we put into our rehearsal space or our van - where did all this money come from?

Individual members. We worked jobs and saved money that we put into the project. I'd loose pay checks when we went on tour, as did the other guys. How did we pay our rent? We ultimately went into debt with ourselves and we would spend the next couple months making up what was lost to get back on top.

This is one reality. We were able to get the band to pay for itself, but we couldn't pay ourselves. Maybe we could have worked harder, but with limited resources (and having to continue working day jobs), it's tough. We wanted to hire someone to do the booking for us, couldn't afford it. We wanted to hire someone to do radio tracking, no $$. We wanted a publicist, again, no $$. These are the types of things that can allow bands to actually break into new markets and help develop fan bases so that when they tour the area, promoters will actually pay you to bring people out to their events instead of simply taking a cut of the door or "gas money".

What we did was not right or wrong, just one approach. We never solicited labels, so we never got the opportunity to utilize resources they can provide, by the figure I listed at the top of the post, I'd say I saw $0.10 a day for the 5 years I was with this band. Not quite enough to live on...

Having said all that, by all means - I'd love to see you succeed in your endeavors.

Having dreams and goals is important in fueling the machine that will become your band, but be aware that a can of gas won't get you anywhere. You need a solid frame, a good motor, tires that can handle unknown / unpredictable roads and a strong body to protect you from the sometimes harsh elements. You also need a mechanic to help when things start to fall apart... Yes, it's possible to put this all together yourself and it can be done. But where do find find the time to do the single most important part of being in a band, writing songs that you and other's will enjoy? That's the real kicker.

Here's a thought... if you are willing to live in a van and crash on floors to pursue your dream, if you take the money and default on a loan, the worst that could happen would be 3 squares and a climate controlled cell. A step up from instant noodles and a sleeping bag on the floor.

Individual members. We worked jobs and saved money that we put into the project. I'd loose pay checks when we went on tour, as did the other guys. How did we pay our rent? We ultimately went into debt with ourselves and we would spend the next couple months making up what was lost to get back on top.
Are you sure we weren't in a band together? lol I did a couple of those "Bad Credit" tours years ago. Folks left on the tour with nice cars, apartments, etc., then came back from the tour with people trying to repossess stuff, evict them, etc. While on the road, we occasionally slept in the truck and van for a night or two to save some money, and there were many weeks where we were lucky to make $40-50 a piece after we covered expenses. Sometimes it would seem like we were about to get ahead a bit . . . and then the truck would break down, or the mixing board would need to be fixed or something. $2600 per year--that's not a bad salary, is it? Now, maybe if it had been the 1880s instead.

it helps if your tight wad with money like me. i don't spend any money i don't have to unless i see at least breaking even in the end. but there are ways to protect yourself somewhat, like having yourself listed as an llc. may not protct you from everything but going into debt with a promotor or booking agent, they can't come back and sue you and take your house and such. but then you also have to declare all pay to the irs, but then you can take losses off taxes, have to file business plans. it can get pretty tricky...

but thats why i never leave home either, all our gigs are with in a few hours drive so i can come home every night and still work...

$187.43

That was my final "pay" when a band I played in recently hung up it's hat. We did everything DIY, released 2 indie albums, countless regional shows, 3 national tours and 1 international. We funded everything ourselves with the exception of the international tour, which we received a $12,000 grant from our government, that tour left us with $120 in our bank account.

The second album had a price tag of around $8000, we sold maybe 500 discs @ $10 a pop. We also never saw a return on the money we put into our rehearsal space or our van - where did all this money come from?

This is one reality. We were able to get the band to pay for itself, but we couldn't pay ourselves. Maybe we could have worked harder, but with limited resources (and having to continue working day jobs), it's tough. We wanted to hire someone to do the booking for us, couldn't afford it. We wanted to hire someone to do radio tracking, no $$. We wanted a publicist, again, no $$. These are the types of things that can allow bands to actually break into new markets and help develop fan bases so that when they tour the area, promoters will actually pay you to bring people out to their events instead of simply taking a cut of the door or "gas money".

What we did was not right or wrong, just one approach. We never solicited labels, so we never got the opportunity to utilize resources they can provide, by the figure I listed at the top of the post, I'd say I saw $0.10 a day for the 5 years I was with this band. Not quite enough to live on...

Having said all that, by all means - I'd love to see you succeed in your endeavors.

Having dreams and goals is important in fueling the machine that will become your band, but be aware that a can of gas won't get you anywhere. You need a solid frame, a good motor, tires that can handle unknown / unpredictable roads and a strong body to protect you from the sometimes harsh elements. You also need a mechanic to help when things start to fall apart... Yes, it's possible to put this all together yourself and it can be done. But where do find find the time to do the single most important part of being in a band, writing songs that you and other's will enjoy? That's the real kicker.

Here's a thought... if you are willing to live in a van and crash on floors to pursue your dream, if you take the money and default on a loan, the worst that could happen would be 3 squares and a climate controlled cell. A step up from instant noodles and a sleeping bag on the floor.

Wow. What a great account. My hat goes off to you jer. And Brew too, if you've been there done that.

Can you all tell me what you think is the best way to get funded by a record label to where it is advantageous for both the band and the label? I'm would like to find out how my band can do well financially to where we make a profit from our endeavors?

Can you all tell me what you think is the best way to get funded by a record label to where it is advantageous for both the band and the label? I'm would like to find out how my band can do well financially to where we make a profit from our endeavors?

I'll give 2 pieces of advise.

First, stop concerning yourself with making money. You mentioned before that you'd like to use your music to share your love of your faith with people, focus on this as it will provide you with much more happiness, satisfaction and enlightenment that earning a paycheck ever will. It's nice to set the bar high, but starting out, you may want to consider "baby stepping" your goals so that you can achieve them and feel satisfied that you reached that goal. Don't loose sight of that bar set high, and keep in mind that you are ultimately on a path to greater things, but start small. Sell 100 copies of your first demo / ep / album. Play a show in another town where no one knows you and melt their faces. Get one of your songs on local radio. You know these things will help take you in the direction you want to go, but they are goals that are easier met than "I want to make money", and will help strengthen and grow your band as you progress, rather than slap you in the face every time you only make $40 at a gig.

Secondly, as for a more direct answer to your question, I really don't know. Presenting a label with a radio quality album is a good start. Eliminate the need for an advance for recording. Have decent, reliable gear that will not need to be upgraded if you hit the road. Research existing contracts, know what to look out for. A couple books were mentioned earlier, get a couple to learn from others experiences (and mistakes).

Labels vary greatly - some of the bigger guys are machines that put out product, some smaller ones tend to foster creativity a little more - explore your boundaries as a band and how far you are willing to go to fit a mold and solicit labels you feel will fit with what you hope to accomplish.

Throughout this thread you seem to come off as someone who thinks that he is absolutley going to be signed to a record label and such a thing is simple to do. But instead you want to do it yourself and get all the money. Now you want to know how to negotiate with a record label so you can digress and settle for a little less money. I don't care if your band is the best band in a large city, there is no way to be assured that a record label will even let you talk to a receptionst, let alone give you a deal. The music business, at least the kind you are thinking of with record labels and such, is only a job for those who are already in it. Anyone wanting in just doesnt fill out an application and get hired. It's a long shot on the best of days and to think your going to make it is an ok dream to have but your getting an awfully late start in life for that sort of thing.

Can you all tell me what you think is the best way to get funded by a record label to where it is advantageous for both the band and the label?

I'm not aware of a way to have both. If you were to be signed, you can be sure it's for the label's advantage, not the band's. If the band makes it to the end of their contract, has been successful and the label wants to hang on, only then does the band possess any negotiating power.

Longevity is the way to make money in this business, very very VERY few artists make any real money right off the bat (and only a few of them can hang onto it.)

Things just aren't as simple or fair as you'd like them to be regarding the business.

Bermuda

The first step would be to put a group of some sorts together, write songs, practice, & start gigging!

The first step would be to put a group of some sorts together, write songs, practice, & start gigging!

Strange this little snippet of fact seems to keep getting lost in this thread. All this talk of money and record deals and what is or isn't acceptable from a record company, is pure fantasy without a band to market in the first place.

I stopped taking this thread seriously a long time ago, but I really wish this fact wasn't continually overlooked......it would really help the cause I think.

I'm still yet to see an unknown, signed, solo drummer with no band and no music, shifting a couple of hundred thousand units of his latest drum solo cd.

All the posts after the one I'm responding to had very good advice and accurate comments, imo. Just two things I'd add:

(1) You need to develop a goal list, and there needs to be three parts to it: (a) long term goals--where you want to be in five years say, (b) intermediate goals--what would be about "halfway" to your long term goals, and (c) immediate, short term goals--steps you need, and more importantly that you CAN take from TODAY to a few weeks from now to get closer to your intermediate goals. Don't just think about this. You need to literally write it out with headings of "long term goal(s)", etc., and you need to regularly look at it and make sure that you're working on it.

Your goal list will need to be periodically reassesssed, for two reasons: one, your goals might change a bit as you go along, and two, at least the intermediate and short term goals are going to change as you work on them--you'll realize and/or figure out better things you need to do to get to your longer term goals. I'd reassess it, writing out a new one, between every three to six months. Don't reassess/rewrite it too often. If, within six months, you would believe that you don't need a new goal list yet, you really do, because that means that you haven't progressed on the short term goals--you either didn't make them short term enough, you didn't make them things that you can definitely achieve now, or you haven't been working on it, so you'd need to come up with something that you really would do, that you really have the motivation for. Obviously your short term goals can't be things like "get a record contract". They need to be things that you can do, or begin doing, TODAY, without having to bank on being lucky, or someone doing something unusual to help you, etc.

(2) This should be part of your short term goals, and pretty much a persistent part of it if you want to make a living in an arts or entertainment field, but it bears stressing it on its own: You should ALWAYS be working on making and maintaining contacts in the industry. At first it's not likely to be anyone too important in the industry, because you're just not going to be able to get in touch with them. You have to work your way up. It's important to not burn any bridges, and it's important to try to keep continuing, healthy relationships with everyone you've networked with so far, even if they do not seem important in the industry now--they might be in the future. It's important to do this even when it seems like you're doing most of the work of maintaining the relationship and keeping it amicable--otherwise, again, you could burn a bridge that's going to cost you down the road. Success in arts & entertainment industries comes largely from successful networking, and on the flipside of that, no matter how talented you might be, if you do not network well, do not socialize well, if you're difficult to get along with or work with (to put it politely), chances are that you're going to hurt yourself and before too long, you'll probably be out of work altogether.

Last edited:
Shelby....I'll tell you again.... what I've told you for the last several years on my forum.

You're trying to make the worlds best soup......but, you don't have the ingredients to make it.....nor the pots and pans to cook it in.

I would be the first to tell you to go for it and follow what you're trying to do.......
IF YOU HAD A BAND
Or, at the very least......the basic fundamentals of trying to reach your goals.
How are you going to negotiate with a label.......if you don't even have a band?

You have no current video (or any of merit at all) No band, no songs, no presence (other than wanting something to happen on internet forums) I don't even know if you have a drum kit.
You have put ZERO effort in trying to reach these goals....other than ask for opinions on forums....and, that doesn't help you get anywhere.

Do you seriously think that you're going to get people to give you pats on the back for trying..... when you don't have....not even one of these things.

And, you're how old at this point?

Dude....people who truly want to do this.....DO THIS.

Without the wishes of a "big break" or "making it", etc...

You seem to lack the biggest part needed for "making it happen" and, that's desire to play.
If you had that.....you'd have videos, a few bands, etc....not just the hopes of "making it".
Until you find that missing piece....you need not worry about opinions on internet forums.

Prove us wrong.....show us you love to play...because without that.....you have nothing.

D.

How cool is this place when a guy like Derek Roddy chimes in with his take on things.
That's like John Bonham bitch slapping you lol

Hopefully Shelby is getting a band together as we speak. Or is writing songs.
This thread would make a good topic for your first song Shelby. Something about how against all odds you're going to do it or die, because your faith is unshakeable.

Right? We just had Ron Dunnett and friggin Ray Ayotte posting too.
As far as I'm concerned, this is THE drum capital of the WORLD. Bernhard will go forever down in history.
Back on topic, write some songs!

Man this is an interesting topic. Im going through the same stuff myself- ive been playing with this one group for about two years and were breaking the bank trying to release an album independently.

Im going to sound like an advertisement here (as I posted the following link in another topic), but there is a way to get funding, you just have to be willing to work. Kickstarter.com is a great way of getting funding for different projects. Im actually in the middle of a campaign now (to check out my page, visit http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/frankwolfman/pre-order-suggestions-upcoming-album) and, while its going a bit slow, we still have nearly 40 days to complete our project. Get creative to market your music, do something new; playing great music will only get you so far nowadays. You have to be creative and adamant.

If you have built up a decent fanbase from playing locally and regionally, continue to stay connected with those fans, and give them a reason to buy your product, theres no reason you cant make the money yourself. I know a lot of people are going to call me crazy, but its true- you dont need to sign over your rights and go into debt to make it. Let me repeat: YOU DONT NEED TO GO INTO DEBT TO MAKE IT. Independence IS the future of the music business.

There are so many case examples of this success, too. Take Trent Reznor, for exampl. While he started off as a signed act to a major label, he broke away from their contract and has been running independently since. One promo tool he used was the use of pre orders; on his website, he had a $250 package that sold out within within 30 hours. Over 200 had been sold. Do the math...thats big money for a single person to take in.

Think about it like this- your group makes 100% of the profit if you remain independent while barely taking 5-10% if youre signed. That means you have to sell at least 10x as much signed to make the same profit. If youre creative enough, you can build a fanbase...you just gotta start thinking.

Frank

Back