I Got The Powah! (Toms) - Ludwig B/O Vintage Super Classic

Thanks guys. I was window shopping today and I might try a heavier 1-ply clear head on the resos...I think that might bring out a little more of what these drums are capable of.

tiffany - I'd say I was a rock drummer trying to impersonate as many other styles as possible. I play in a jazz/fusion group that has a serious identity crisis...it's fun anyhow. I'm trying to fire up another rock group along the alternative/prog lines.

The Fierce Hats are awesome...loud and..well...fierce...yet dark, dry, and controllable, partly due to the 13" size. Very easy to play.

Beautiful looking kit and some great cymbals! You`ve got the Fierce hats and a Fierce crash? That`s awesome, I love the sound character of those. Trashy, complex and the hi-hat sounds very dry. How do you like the crash? And where did you get them?

Karl

Beautiful looking kit and some great cymbals! You`ve got the Fierce hats and a Fierce crash? That`s awesome, I love the sound character of those. Trashy, complex and the hi-hat sounds very dry. How do you like the crash? And where did you get them?

Karl

I *love* the crash...very trashy and explosive. It's super-thin and it fits right into my mix. I got them from a cat on eBay who is GREAT.

Good playing Vinnie!!!

Kit sounds good.

But my favorite part of your kit is the METAL flame pillow in the bass drum. That rocks!!

Good score!!

Good playing Vinnie!!!

Kit sounds good.

But my favorite part of your kit is the METAL flame pillow in the bass drum. That rocks!!

Good score!!

Yeah! The flames actually make my foot go faster! That's my kid's pillow, I yanked it out of his BD last night because mine isn't done yet, it's on the way. I got glow in the dark stars for mine...less metal...more space.

The one that won't leave the house, you mean this one...

Attachments

• IMG_3494.jpg
    IMG_3494.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 1,024
  • IMG_3503.jpg
    IMG_3503.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 992
The one that won't leave the house, you mean this one...

Its amazing that Frank (Unix) can make an entire stave kit with only a hand plane, tape measure, and pencil. What an artist. Very nice looking drums Vinnie.

That kit is the HIT...NICE, looks good, sounds good...ENVY is deep within me at this moment...WOW what a beautiful kit, I want the first rights if you decide to let them go...have not heard anyone else put that out there...ROFL

Congratulations on that deal...very nice...love those ludwigs!

Nice kit.. My favorite 'Wigs are the 6-plies.. Let me know if you ever want to put RIMS on those toms....

Alright folks, I'm looking for some advice here. I just *cannot* get the sound I want out of these monster power toms. They definitely don't sound like their appearance. The kick and the floor tom sound fantastic...I've got 'em where I want 'em. The 12" and the 13" just sound bad to me. They're round and the edges are flawless...they just sound "funny".

The note is very short and their tuning range is extremely limited. The hoops are a bit bent but seem to work fine but I'm not sure it's the hoops.

What do I do to make these puppies warm up and sustain longer? I've tried both coated and clear G2s over G1s. Is it totally outrageous to use G2s over G2s? Would that be pointless? I heard a story about guys sanding the interiors of the drums to warm them up...how about that?

I played w/ the band last night and the 12" couldn't even cut through the music...the rest of the kit performed wonderfully.

My experience with power toms (Tama 80's Superstars) is that they sounded better with 1-ply coated heads. I tried everything on them, and found that the coated G1's over clear 1-plys were the best. I don't know if this will be the case with the Luddies, but you can try.

Back