Need some bass pedal help...Yamaha

joshvibert

As some of you know, I use, enjoy, prefer Yamaha 700 series hardware for its light weight and high value/cost ratio. I came from DW 5000 series stuff and the pedal speed is where I noticed the most difference. The one I'm using is the FP7210 pictured here:

DV016_Jpg_Large_449271.jpg

I love how light and quick this pedal feels. The response is much better than what I was getting with the heavy, sluggish-feeling DW. However, I was recording recently and the engineer was complaining of a clicking noise coming from the bass pedal (I've never heard it when playing by myself). So, I bought a used direct-drive Yamaha pedal (Flying Dragon, maybe? But it doesn't have the glow-in-the dark wing stickers) and this sucker feels about like my DW's, smooth but heavy and slow.

So, what I need is a bass pedal that will feel like my FP7210, but perhaps with a more robust housing so it won't make bad noises. I am, at this point, married to the Yamaha because I like my footboards to match, and this is what's on my hi-hat stand, which I like, so it needs to have the one shown in the pic above.

I will also say that I've played on a similar low-end Pearl pedal that had the same good, quick feel. So, any recommendations?

Thanks!

Just a thought - why not try to isolate and repair the clicking problem? It is certainly not normal.

Just a thought - why not try to isolate and repair the clicking problem? It is certainly not normal.

Someone on another forum indicated that it is likely caused by the non-solid plate design of the pedal. So, if I could just find the solid plate version of this pedal I'd be set. Looks like the FP8210 or 8215 would be the ticket. I just have to find one since they're discontinued.

Someone on another forum indicated that it is likely caused by the non-solid plate design of the pedal. So, if I could just find the solid plate version of this pedal I'd be set. Looks like the FP8210 or 8215 would be the ticket. I just have to find one since they're discontinued.

That COULD be the answer, but not having a solid floorplate doesn't necessarily cause clicking. Tons of players (myself included) have used pedals without floorplates and have had no trouble with clicking. It isn't inherent to the design.

On the other hand, those 8200 series pedals are quite nice.

Is your footplate hitting the drum clamp? That could be the cause of the clicking sound if you've set it up really low.

So I played the Flying Dragon today and it's pretty quick, but I heard some clicking and figured out what it is: basically I'm outrunning the pedal and the click is the sound of my foot hitting the board to push it down again while it's moving back up.

There you go! Now you can switch back to your old one,it's a very good pedal in terms of quality and cost. I'm using the same model for 8 years now and believe me I haven't change anything on it yet! Works like a charm,just oil the bearings once in a while.

So I played the Flying Dragon today and it's pretty quick, but I heard some clicking and figured out what it is: basically I'm outrunning the pedal and the click is the sound of my foot hitting the board to push it down again while it's moving back up.

Pretty sure that's the bottom of the chain where it meets the very front of the pedal when that happens.

I think the only way around it is to switch out the chain for a belt. You still can out run the pedal, but a belt will be quieter.

Direct drive will take care of it too, but it requires a new pedal, unless someone's prepared to do major modifications.

If it's metal on metal, could you put a chunk of worn out cymbal felt where the pedal hits the base? Or would that limit your pedal travel?

If it actually shoe noise, you could try just socks or a softer shoe sole to nail it down.

Do you have someone handy who can stick their head down by the pedal and look/listen? Or a small video camera/camera phone?

Sorry, no answers - just more questions.

Good Luck, John

So, what I need is a bass pedal that will feel like my FP7210, but perhaps with a more robust housing so it won't make bad noises. I am, at this point, married to the Yamaha because I like my footboards to match, and this is what's on my hi-hat stand, which I like, so it needs to have the one shown in the pic above.

Lost of cheaper options offered by others, but if considering another 'light' pedal try a Tama Camco. Very light and fast.

Back