Need recommendations for London sightseeing

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
I am swimming over to the UK in October to assist the Guru booth and attend the London Drum Show. I am so psyched, this is a big deal for me, huge actually, I've never been to Europe. I guess you could call it a bucket list thing. Anyway, I will be terrorizing the city for Monday and Tuesday after the LDS is over and would really like to pick the brains of anyone who can suggest things I should check out. I have no clue other than bus tours. I am not sure if this is the best way to go or if there is a better way to spend the little time I have there. I would be greatly appreciative if you could chime in with your "must see" destinations.

I do want to confine it to London. So please help this clueless Yank with what you think, in your opinion, what it is I should be checking out.

Thanks. I am so jazzed about this trip, and especially meeting as many forum members as I can. Thanks again. And again.

Larry, probably the best way to see many of the main sights, plus get an appreciation of the whole city, is to take one of the hop on hop off London bus tours. Certainly do this for a day, then return to visit stuff that takes your interest.

I'm envious but happy for you. I've lead a sheltered existence due to monetary constraints but also hope to make it over there some day as well. Certainly to Andy's lovely estate...

when i was there i bought a tube pass( probably called something else) that also works on the buses, get a london map, Fordor i think, and look at what interests you. the tube and bus lines are really simple to follow. dont miss the Tower or the Tower Bridge. Walk around Hyde park too, Kensington palace is there to visit. awesome town!!

also larry, one thing that us americans will find strange and it was confusing at first, when you go to a pub to eat, the waiters only bring your order, they dont take it. you go to the bar to place it and they bring it over and set the table at that time, also for some reason they dont expect to be tipped?? we left 20% as usual anyway.

hope to make it over there some day as well. Certainly to Andy's lovely estate...
Estate is way too grand a title. It's a cottage with a small bit of land :) BTW, you're welcome anytime.

also larry, one thing that us americans will find strange and it was confusing at first, when you go to a pub to eat, the waiters only bring your order, they dont take it. you go to the bar to place it and they bring it over and set the table at that time, also for some reason they dont expect to be tipped?? we left 20% as usual anyway.
In the UK, traditionally, a tip is only given upon receipt of exceptional service, & entirely at the patron's discretion. However, it is becoming usual to tip 10% unless the service is especially bad, & as it's London, that will be most of the time ;)

While you're in London, why not visiting the London Drum Show? it's a nice day out within the world of drumming :)

Haha, looking forward meeting you Uncle Larry...

My 2 c sites to see while you're there.

Piccadilly Circus
Leceister Square
Covent Garden
Trafalgar Square
Bugkingham Palace
Big Ben
Westminster Abbey
National Art Gallery (free)
St Paul's Cathedral
The Tower of London
Tower Bridge
HMS Belfast
The London Dungeon
Madame Tussaud
Hyde Park (and Hyde Park Corner if you fancy doing some speech, lol)
Oxford Street (nice for shopping)

There's a big drum store called Professional Percussion in Kentish Town, north London, Nothern Line on the tube if my memory's correct. (I've met Simon Phillips, Greg Bissonette and Dennis Chambers in that shop)

That's it my friend, that's all I've got on top of my head, a lot of these suggestions are at walking distance from each other, there's much more to visit, but if you only have a couple days, that should keep you busy :)

Millwall vs. Charlton? Do you want him to come back alive? Actually reminds me of the time that I gave a kid I was teaching detention whilst in the players' tunnel at The Valley. Funny times.

Larry, there's a lot to do. If you're interested in history at all, the British Museum is just phenomenal (and completely free). Highly recommended.

I'll take you to the pub, too. You'll learn to drink British style.

Oh, Larry, I forgot, go to the Ronnie Scott in Soho and check who's playing, you might be able to see the wonderful Michele Drees :)

Piccadilly Circus
Leceister Square
Covent Garden
Trafalgar Square
Bugkingham Palace
Big Ben
Westminster Abbey
National Art Gallery (free)
St Paul's Cathedral
The Tower of London
Tower Bridge
HMS Belfast
The London Dungeon
Madame Tussaud
Hyde Park (and Hyde Park Corner if you fancy doing some speech, lol)
Oxford Street (nice for shopping)

There's a big drum store called Professional Percussion in Kentish Town,

Agree with the above, although I think Pro Perc just closed. :(

Depends what else you like to do. There's also the Camden Markets, London Transport Museum/gift shop (at Covent Garden), music stores on Denmark St, shopping on Oxford St, Harrod's and Selfridge's depot stores are an experience, Beatles store on Baker St (I think right by Mme Tussaud's), and various (flea) markets throughout the week, incl Covent Garden daily.

And if you love Indian food, there are a million places to eat.

You'll find London is a very walkable city for the most part, but definitely a good idea to get a pass for the Underground.*

If you just want a feel for the city and some touristy stuff, a bus tour is also the way to go. My wife and I did that the first time we visited London, but have been on our own every trip since.

BTW, you will fall in love with London and the people. It's easily my favorite city of the 3 continents I've visited.

Bermuda

* I've got a list of my favorite stops, and the coresponding tube station... let me know. :)

BTW, you will fall in love with London and the people. It's easily my favorite city of the 3 continents I've visited.

QUOTE]

so true, it kind of has a Boston feel about it, big but small at the same time. also the london eye is cool too, i am super afraid of heights but i have my picture inside of it to prove i did it. so much history its almost a cant miss city for visitiors. also larry be careful crossing streets, the cars closest come from the right, not the left.

London Eye was great, the guide in our car knew how to take a picture!

uk5.jpg

Well done, Larry! I'm planning to get some items off my bucket list too. Looks like I'll need to schedule a fait bit of time to fit in all those things ...

There's a big drum store called Professional Percussion in Kentish Town, north London, Nothern Line on the tube if my memory's correct. (I've met Simon Phillips, Greg Bissonette and Dennis Chambers in that shop)

Wow. I didn't know it was that famous.
Sadly, it closed down a couple of years ago (I live close by) :(

I would avoid the madame tusseaud museum, as it will take you more than half a day and it's a bit too much of a tourist trap.

True.
It might make sense to also visit east London (Bricklane, the Up Market, Spitafields, etc.) interesting faces around. Hipster-watch basically. :)

That's cool Larry. We expect to see a Larry "Abbey Road" photo.

Congrats, Larry! I'm jealous. I've been once and would love to go back. I won't give you recommendations on what you should see but I can tell you that when I was there I found getting around on The Tube or their underground was super easy. So if you have a map and day to just do what you want, make sure and get a pass...

Oh and I will make one recommendation...The National Gallery was awe-inspiring...if you're into museums and paintings and such :)

Have fun!

Just a note on money and traveling outside the US. Get your spending cash there, not in advance in the US. You'll spend less in transaction fees. You can also use a credit card almost everywhere, but there are fees for each use as well. In fact, best to bring cash, and exchange it there so you don't incur credit/debit card international fees. It's also smart to notify your credit card banks that you'll be traveling, so they know that any overseas use is authorized. I've been embarrassed in Canada a few times by forgetting to call ahead. (I've been embarrassed there for other reasons as well!)

Also, your US cell phone will cost a million bucks to use there. Either be very judicious with its use, get a calling card (read the fine print about connection fees!) use Skype to dial out (2.3¢/min) or simply plan to not make or receive any calls home.

Bermuda

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Thanks Jon for the currency advise, I'll heed it. OK the wax museum is out (thanks er-minio) the national gallery is in (thanks Mary). Pardon my ignorance but why do I want to go to Westminster Abbey, Leicester Square, Trafalgar Square (don't you have to dance there?) Picadilly Circus (Is it a real circus?) The Tower of London and the Tower Bridge, Hyde Park? Not negging them, I'm just trying to find out what exactly I am supposed do there, because I haven't the foggiest. (Appropriate adjective for a London trip, right mate?)

I'm pretty sure a music store is out, but fish and chips and a drink at a real pub with Dunc is in. I just need more info about what you do at these attractions. I have the where's, I need the why's now. Would love to find an open mic blues jam but that's not a necessity.

About the Abbey Road photo, Bernard Purdie claims that's him in the photo lol. The guy just doesn't know when to quit.

I think I want to see Abbey Road Studios too, I think. Any reason why not?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Thanks Jon for the currency advise, I'll heed it. OK the wax museum is out (thanks er-minio) the national gallery is in (thanks Mary). Pardon my ignorance but why do I want to go to Westminster Abbey, Leicester Square, Trafalgar Square (don't you have to dance there?) Picadilly Circus (Is it a real circus?) The Tower of London and the Tower Bridge, Hyde Park? Not negging them, I'm just trying to find out what exactly I am supposed do there, because I haven't the foggiest. (Appropriate adjective for a London trip, right mate?)

I'm pretty sure a music store is out, but fish and chips and a drink at a real pub with Dunc is in. I just need more info about what you do at these attractions. I have the where's, I need the why's now. Would love to find an open mic blues jam but that's not a necessity.

About the Abbey Road photo, Bernard Purdie claims that's him in the photo lol. The guy just doesn't know when to quit.

I think I want to see Abbey Road Studios too, I think. Any reason why not?
The Natural History Museum is superb if you have an inquiring mind. Larry, I'm going to do my best to stay on for a day after the show (if you're not sick of me by then). It's logistically difficult to do, but how often am I going to get such a great hang opportunity?

As for Abbey Road Studios, I used to know some people in there, but I strongly suspect they're all gone now (they were all 10+ years older than me at the time). You can't just wander in to the studio. I'll ask, but I'll probably be told to go pound sand :(

Still not sure if Grea's making a star appearance ;)

I think Grea and Daisy are in. We still need to know who else wants to hang on Monday and and Tuesday. Henri? Duncan? I do have an inquiring mind and I like museums. Natural History Museums, Art Museums, especially are right up my alley, thanks Andy.

Back