Dave Weckl

tdrums91 said:
everything he taught in the lesson was from his how to develop technique video so i would suggest evryone pick that up... most of the lesson u just sit there speechless, it really gave me motivation to practice my ass off

Thats funny cause the early Weckl inspires me to practice but this post-Gruber "time is motion" Weckl makes me depressed...Hes raised the bar to a level that I can never achieve...

My perfect Weckl lesson would be to fire up my Camcorder and just tape him for a half an hour and watch him do his thing.....LOL...

Hey, I was curious if anyone knows what Dave's cymbals were while he used Zildjian, before the switch to Sabian. Does anyone have a clue? Thanks.

Cheers

P.S. Weckl's a huge inspiration and cause for me to practice too.

weckl is one of the best drummers in the world.period.anyone who disagrees just does not know or appreciate drumming. as for his feel,i've heard some of the opinions voiced before negative towards his playing,but to my ears his time is just about as perfect as humanly possible.one of my top 5 favorites,for sure.he can play any style he chooses and is great at all of em'.

dawg said:
weckl is one of the best drummers in the world.period.anyone who disagrees just does not know or appreciate drumming.

That, of course, depends on how you quantify "best". Technically adept? Sure. But if you asked me to hire a guy off of the list of drummers on the Drummerworld front page I doubt it'd be Weckl for... well... anything!

It's all personal taste, and I just plain find his stuff a bit on the dull side. It's great for five minutes of technical amazement now and again, but I'd find obsessing over it very depressing and the kind of thing that would probably suck all the joy out of playing the drums for me. Not because what he's doing is hard, just because I don't find any of it exciting in any meaningful musical way.

and what solos do you find inspiring,then? for me,the same reason i like weckl's technical superior drumming is the same reason i like colaiuta's. dennis chambers is great in his own funky way,with speed.to me bill stewart and,jack de johnette have different but similar styles in the trad jazz idiom. elvin's mastery of 3/4 and triplets. maybe rock is your thing.

dawg said:
and what solos do you find inspiring,then?

Wow, that's a loaded question. Since when was drumming about soloing, and all knowledge of drumming assessed on that basis? I'm actually not a big fan of solos across the board, because since drummers have very little note sustain or tone control after the initial impact most drum solos seem to degenerate into mindless chopping. As an instrument I'd be hard pressed to think of one less suited to expressive solo playing than the drumset.

But that said, if I had to pick soloists I'd be pointing the way of people like Joey Baron or Tony Williams who manage to overcome the technical limitations and actually say something.

for me,the same reason i like weckl's technical superior drumming is the same reason i like colaiuta's. dennis chambers is great in his own funky way,with speed.to me bill stewart and,jack de johnette have different but similar styles in the trad jazz idiom. elvin's mastery of 3/4 and triplets. maybe rock is your thing.

Not really. I just think that soloing is a lousy measure of a drummer, and technique a worse one.

For a better understanding of how technique and art intersect, take a look at the filmmaking world. There the technical side is quite clearly technical - it's all about colour grading, different kinds of stock, camera moves, different approaches to lighting, CG and compositing, etc etc off into eternity. But then you look at the most technically impressive, big-budget movies and compare their content with what's being done on a fraction of the budget by people with good ideas. There's no law that says that working on a huge budget automatically means you have to have no ideas and produce derivative but spectacle-laden junk - there's enough exceptions to show that artistically valid big-budget filmmaking is viable. But on the other hand, the presence of a lot of expensive technique and equipment clearly doesn't render a film any good, either.

Art (=music) and technique (=mechanics to achieve something) have little relationship. The first is notoriously subjective, the latter very objective.

On the latter, objective measure then Weckl is clearly very strong. On the former I absolutely cannot stand a single thing he's done that I've yet encountered. That's clearly down to me, but labling people who don't view Weckl as one of the "best" drummers as ignorant or ill-informed is just silly.

Weckl's instructional videos are very good though, I'll add. I'd include his play-alongs if they weren't so musically apalling, the idea is excellent. But I refuse to give any student the impression that being a good drummer requires you to listen to that kind of stuff...

Dave will non the less go down in history as being one of the greatest drummers ever known! I think he is pretty much one of the hardest drummers to duplicate. What he has is a gift that all drummers have, and thats the gift to creat art out of music, but Weckl takes this to another level. He was one of my biggest insperations and still is, but as i got older his techniques were just tooooo unreal and so i shifted my focus on finding my own techniques and sound. He is a legand.

couldn't have said it better! some things as a drummer you can appreciate because you play the instrument and have maybe a working knowledge of his style of playing. then some guys you just tip your hat and say i wish i had those chops. but aside from dave being a solist,he does keep excellent time when supporting a band and i love the stuff he does with latin music.he plays that way because he can.

dawg said:
weckl is one of the best drummers in the world.period.anyone who disagrees just does not know or appreciate drumming. as for his feel,i've heard some of the opinions voiced before negative towards his playing,but to my ears his time is just about as perfect as humanly possible.one of my top 5 favorites,for sure.he can play any style he chooses and is great at all of em'.

I'm with you man, people put him down because they can't play as well as him. As far as having no feel, I think Dave has so much feel it's rediculous! I allways hear that he is to perfect and because of it he has no feel, I guess you have to be sloppy to have feel, whatever.

drumma said:
I'm with you man, people put him down because they can't play as well as him.

Yeah, just like all those jealous musicians who put down the Spice Girls and Brittney Spears because they're more successful!

Seriously, do you people actually think about your arguments before you post them? Surely if somebody was going to be jealous of Weckl because he's better than them they'd also be jealous of everybody else listed on DW? Unless you're suggesting that this jealousy is restricted to people who're better than, say, Max Roach and Joey Baron but not as good as Dave Weckl, which is even more silly.

I can't play as well as Joey Baron or Matt Chamberlain - or Max Roach - but you'll never see me doing anything other than singing their praises because I like what they do. I don't like Weckl's playing because it bores me stiff. If I had to pick the most boring gigs I've ever been to they'd probably be:

a) some Japanese avant-garde guitarist whose name I forget at the moment who played one note for 30 minutes straight; and
b) the Dave Weckl band at Ronnie Scott's in London.

So if I fail to aspire to play like Weckl it's not because he's better than me and I'm envious, it's just because I find everything he does rather dull and uninspired. You see?

He's just so pleasant to listent to. Every sound he gets out of every drum and system... it just feels good just to listen to. But, he never really lets go and just goes nuts. I'm impressed by what he can play, but he doesn't drive it home emotionally for me a lot of the time, like, for instance, Brian Blade, who made literally cry when I saw him live. It's groovy as hell though (Dave). I still listen to him, actually, more and more lately, and I love it, and some of his fills are GENIOUS! I guess I just wish he would go nuts sometimes...

I disagree wholeheartedly...people do not put him down because they can't play like him. It's probably because they don't feel what he's playing. It's pretty simple. That's subjective and personal, but is the most important from a subjective listening standpoint as far as I'm concerned. It depends on what kind of drum playing fits you're personality and appeals to you emotionally. Obviously, Dave's playing doesn't appeal to certain people emotionally, including me in some respects, but I still respect the bejesus out of him for his ability to the drums.

Blue said:
He's just so pleasant to listent to.

Thats just the way I see it. I really think you have to enjoy his playing but also the music as well. I personally think every note he plays couldn't be any more perfect and also think that it fits the music exactly the way it should. What I like about it is that it's pleasant to listen to but at the same time pumps me up and motivates me to want to play

Hi there, I just joined this forum and felt compelled to post something up on the Vinnie Thread. And Guess what, I just love Weckl.

When I first heard him play (think it was the Akoustic band recording first), I loved what I thought was his fresh approach.

I am a particular fan of him playing with the GRP big band (and of course have the Weckl, Gadd & Colaiuta video - Buddy Rich Memorial tape 2).

I met Dave at Ronnie Scotts in London the other year. Nice guy, took a lot of time to have his pic taken. Am glad to say that I'm slightly taller than he is, but that's the only thing I've got on him ;-)

Seriously, I have lots of differnt recordings with him on. I particularly liked him with Michel Camillo.

he is simply a fabulous Drummer !

The thread seems to be getting into a deba te about technique. Technique to me is all about a means to an end. Technique can influence a playing style so people CAN say that "....his (or her) solo was a bit technical" - but maybe what they recognise if that drummer having good techique.

I know Weckl has been criticised in the past about his "technical approach" (note the quotation marks). So much so I actually felt compelled to write to the publication in his defense, and they actually printed it. To the unknowing Weckl may sound "technical", but I've been listening to him for years and just hear some of the most musical drumming I've ever heard.

DogBreath said:
Here are some clips of Dave that I got at Sabian Live in January. The one linked here is the longest at over four minutes, and there are links on the page to three other clips as well. This one is the best, though, with some very nice grooves, a tight solo, and a jamming finale. There is simply no way to watch this guy play live and not appreciate both his technical ability and his feel for the groove. He is an amazingly well rounded drummer.

I never noticed this link - I thought it was for pictures before so thanks for the hook-up....

And your right how can you not appreciate both his technicality and incredible groove...
The man is on top of his game - period!

finnhiggins said:
Stunning, but simultaneously underwhelming. How do you communicate that?

I agree with your assessment. I was listening to Chick Corea (accoustic band) Live! (from 1991) and the drumming is stunning and virtuostic yet completely out of place in a 3 man jazz combo. I hadn't listened to this cd in probably 10 years, and I used to be amazed out how 'great' of a jazz drummer Weckl is. But 10 years later, it sounds the same as the stuff he plays today. I also have a much healthier dose of 40-60s jazz for comparison, and have to say that I just don't get the forward thinking big rock sound of Weckl on Live!

Poor Dave gets alot of flack, but I can see everyones point for sure. It's kinda like Neal Peart, you gotta admit he's a great drummer, but sometimes seems a little too "Cut and Paste" with regards to the drum parts. I listen to many drummers for many reasons, and I love Dave and his playing, but for what it is.

Year - off course i like Dave Weckl. Hes technike is amazing, but i think the problem with mr. weckel is that olmost every bands his play with - He's the man you see (if you understand)

Anchein Vouivra said:
I'm not really in, and don't dig this "Weckle-Colaiuta-Gadd-Chambers-Steve Smith..." drumming pantheon. They're are too glorified and used by their endorsements as THE DRUM REFERENCE. Too technical and they are all playing fusion which make feel each one sound more and more similar. But it's like always very personal, it's just music that doesn't move me (maybe at the exception of Gadd).

Weckl doesn't play fusion, he plays contemporary jazz. Weckl, Colaiuta, Gadd, Chambers, Smith are all very diferent. You just have to listen to them for a while and then talk. These are great drummers and they have exelent technique and grooves.

Watch the best so you can learn from them.

I will concede that Weckl plays modern jazz [i.e. Chick Corea], but I disagree that he is a modern jazz drummer. His style is very much predicated upon principles of fusion, in my opinion.

I do, however, snicker at drummers knocking his lack of mistakes.

The dude is a metronome! If making mistakes floats your boat, then [by all means], go listen to some cheap quazi-punk. I'm going to stick with the guys who have flawless technique and inventive, if not artistic, methods: Dave Weckl, Manu Katche, etc.

Though I am a proponent of smaller kits, I also like his sound much more than that of drummers in the Steve Gadd vein of things.

I have to disagree with many of the statements posted and argue that Dave is one of the best drummers alive. While his style can become static, it: serves the music well, doesn't put odd things in odd places, is based around expanding the art of drumming, and [if nothing else] is practically a model of perfection for modern fusion percussion.

Back